• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a high budget and I've always wanted to have a beautiful, original, and "Victorian" looking tuxedo. I recently came across this tuxedo and I love the design. It might not be the tuxedo you'd wear to a wedding (and again, it depends on the style imposed) but for an event with friends or something like that, it would really look good!
I can't say whether it's steampunk, but it is definitely not a tuxedo.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In your budget range I think a rental is the best option, while adding that tuxedo dress for proms is a ridiculous concept. The ladies get to wear a lovely dress which will serve them well for years--at weddings or other formal events. The men are forced to invest in a one-time outfit. Life is unfair.

That said, to those who argue that a tux has no utility in normal life--there's no reason you can't wear a tux to quotidian events like a dinner on the town or even a cocktail party (assuming your companion is likewise attired). You will stand out, and other guests will assume you are off to something more elegant later that evening (let them wonder), but it's hardly a fashion faux-pas. James Bond seems to wear them after six on most nights...

rjc149

Reaction score
The ladies get to wear a lovely dress which will serve them well for years--at weddings or other formal events. The men are forced to invest in a one-time outfit. Life is unfair.
I always thought this was how women felt about wedding dresses? Most men are married in suits these days. My brother's fiancee is spending, like, a shitload of money on her dress.

I've always wanted a few dinner jackets that would actually serve a purpose. Like a dark green one with black shawl lapels. I never attend black tie events so I just can't justify it.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought this was how women felt about wedding dresses? Most men are married in suits these days. My brother's fiancee is spending, like, a shitload of money on her dress.

I've always wanted a few dinner jackets that would actually serve a purpose. Like a dark green one with black shawl lapels. I never attend black tie events so I just can't justify it.
True about the wedding dress. The unfairness of life cuts both ways.

Leiker

Reaction score
In your budget range I think a rental is the best option, while adding that tuxedo dress for proms is a ridiculous concept. The ladies get to wear a lovely dress which will serve them well for years--at weddings or other formal events. The men are forced to invest in a one-time outfit. Life is unfair.

That said, to those who argue that a tux has no utility in normal life--there's no reason you can't wear a tux to quotidian events like a dinner on the town or even a cocktail party (assuming your companion is likewise attired). You will stand out, and other guests will assume you are off to something more elegant later that evening (let them wonder), but it's hardly a fashion faux-pas. James Bond seems to wear them after six on most nights...
Just want to recognize your use of the word "quotidian" :bigstar:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree - rent a tux. After H.S. the likelihood of the tux still fitting you is very slim by the time you wear it again.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Renting a tux isn't far off the cost of buying a cheapish one, though, or at least that was the case last time I looked into it a quarter of a century or so ago.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renting a tux isn't far off the cost of buying a cheapish one, though, or at least that was the case last time I looked into it a quarter of a century or so ago.

It's not just the tux, it's the accessories and the alterations. Cheapest "decent" tux you can find new might run you $400 or so but alterations, shirt, suspenders, cummerbund, bow tie, possibly studs would easily run you another $250-300.

Anthony678

Reaction score

How much can I get a rental altered though? I don't care so much about high quality materials; I just want a high quality fit. Also, do I rent every part of the tux?

rjc149

Reaction score
How much can I get a rental altered though? I don't care so much about high quality materials; I just want a high quality fit. Also, do I rent every part of the tux?
How much would you need it altered?

Honest question, are you fat? Skinny? Very tall? Very short? Do you have a body that requires atypical alterations?

My guess, you walk into a tux rental shop, and they take your basic measurements. They produce a tuxedo in those measurements. Any minor adjustments to the trouser hems or jacket sleeves will be noted and made, then you pick it up. When you return the tux, the adjustments are removed, returning the garment to its un-altered state, for the next customer. The adjustments won't be extensive or invasive, like taking in the jacket, adjusting the trouser seat, messing with the shoulder pads etc. They'll be basic, so it basically fits. It's not going to be impeccable.

And trust me, you're not going to remember how your prom tux fit 20 years later, or even what it looked like. You'll remember the night itself. That's the point.

Gonzo9

Reaction score
Another thought. Buying a quality piece will have some resale value. Spend $500+ and you can probably resale $250. Close to the cost of a rental. I say YOLO it. Wearing something that is fitted/altered makes a difference in the way we look and feel.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanieSmerth