• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony678

Reaction score
Hello. I'm looking for a tuxedo for my upcoming prom in the end of May. Where do you recommend I look? I don't really know what my budget is but I'm looking for a lower end tuxedo so that I can put money towards alterations as well.

rjc149

Reaction score
I recommend renting a tux, especially for your prom.

A tux is, for most men, something only worn a few times in life. Suppose you wear a tux to your wedding -- you won't want to dig out that old tux you wore when you were 17 to your prom. Especially if you've outgrown it.

Anthony678

Reaction score

A tux is, for most men, something only worn a few times in life. Suppose you wear a tux to your wedding -- you won't want to dig out that old tux you wore when you were 17 to your prom. Especially if you've outgrown it.

Anthony678

Reaction score
How much can I alter a rental though? I planned on asking for a large amount of seam allowance so I could widen certain areas if I need to in the future. I know there's still a good chance of outgrowing it so much that it's a lost cause, but I just can't show up to prom in an ill fitted tux

Anthony678

Reaction score

How much can I alter a rental though? I planned on asking for a large amount of seam allowance so I could widen certain areas if I need to in the future. I know there's still a good chance of outgrowing it so much that it's a lost cause, but I just can't show up to prom in an ill fitted tux

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I think you're thinking along the right lines. But think mid range rather than low end. Certainly no point in buying an expensive tux unless you have a lifestyle that means it will get worn regularly, or a lot of money and just want to show off.

Ignoring the option of going bespoke - a high-end retail tux will cost a few thousand, whereas a mid-range will cost a few hundred. Probably 98 percent of the people who see you wearing it will not be able to tell the difference at all.

On the other hand a mid-range tux costing a few hundred will be a big and noticeable step up from a real bargain-basement online one, costing 100 or under, or a rental (just won't fit properly).

At the sort of events where people who don't regularly wear tuxes wear tuxes (think annual sales awards ceremonies or Christmas parties where "black tie" is chosen as, essentially, a more upscale alternative to "fancy dress") most people will be wearing rentals or very low end 100 dollar tuxes from online importers. A mid range one will make you look a cut above, particularly if it's tailored. I guess you are American by your use of "tuxedo" so I am not sure specifically what retailers to recommend but in the UK we have Charles Tyrwitt (can never spell that one right), Reiss and Hawes & Curtis at this sort of level. I got my own from Reiss, it cost about £400 and I get lots of compliments on it, at the sort of events where everyone else is wearing even cheaper ones or rentals!

rjc149

Reaction score
The last time I wore a tuxedo was to my prom, which was 20 years ago, and it was rented. I remember renting one that basically fit my dimensions and look fine. Or at least, any ill-fitting parts went entirely unnoticed by the group of 17 and 18 year olds sneaking swigs of beer in the bathroom and smoking pot in the hotel after party.

I returned the tux the following afternoon and haven’t worn one since.

Most evening or formal events that are not explicitly “black tie only” can be safely attended in a dark suit. I would save your money for a dark suit, which is a far more essential wardrobe piece.

The point of my anecdote being, don’t waste your money on something no one, including you, will give a **** about once you’re having fun and being a teenager at your prom. Or, something that you will in all likelihood only wear once.

rjc149

Reaction score
I guess you are American by your use of "tuxedo"
I was thinking "prom" was the giveaway -- unless they have high school proms in the UK?

I have never attended a mandatory black tie event. My brother's ex-fiancee wanted a 200-guest black tie only wedding, and thankfully, she's an ex-fiancee, not ex-wife. That was the closest I've come to actually having to wear a tux as a grown man.

Although I can only speak from my limited world view, I think they are becoming obsolescent, either that or more exclusive. In the numerous weddings I've been to, being a groomsman in two, none were black tie. My father wore a brown suit to this wedding. I've attended every formal event -- weddings, company awards ceremonies, evening events -- in a suit.

I'm curious, unless a man is a high-flying corporate executive regularly attending evening events or a celebrity, how common are black tie events for "common men."

Anthony678

Reaction score
The last time I wore a tuxedo was to my prom, which was 20 years ago, and it was rented. I remember renting one that basically fit my dimensions and look fine. Or at least, any ill-fitting parts went entirely unnoticed by the group of 17 and 18 year olds sneaking swigs of beer in the bathroom and smoking pot in the hotel after party.

I returned the tux the following afternoon and haven’t worn one since.

Most evening or formal events that are not explicitly “black tie only” can be safely attended in a dark suit. I would save your money for a dark suit, which is a far more essential wardrobe piece.

The point of my anecdote being, don’t waste your money on something no one, including you, will give a **** about once you’re having fun and being a teenager at your prom. Or, something that you will in all likelihood only wear once.
I understand where you're coming from and agree, but I just can't imagine wearing a suit to a dance.

How would you make a dark suit fancier, more like something you'd wear to an evening dance? I just associate suits with blatant business wear.

I was originally thinking of wearing a nice dinner jacket with a turtleneck, taking it in a smarter direction, but my prom is in late May, so it'll be too warm for that.

Anthony678

Reaction score
I was thinking "prom" was the giveaway -- unless they have high school proms in the UK?

I have never attended a mandatory black tie event. My brother's ex-fiancee wanted a 200-guest black tie only wedding, and thankfully, she's an ex-fiancee, not ex-wife. That was the closest I've come to actually having to wear a tux as a grown man.

Although I can only speak from my limited world view, I think they are becoming obsolescent, either that or more exclusive. In the numerous weddings I've been to, being a groomsman in two, none were black tie. My father wore a brown suit to this wedding. I've attended every formal event -- weddings, company awards ceremonies, evening events -- in a suit.

I'm curious, unless a man is a high-flying corporate executive regularly attending evening events or a celebrity, how common are black tie events for "common men."
Yes I'm American.

I don't remember what the dress code is, but I know some kids will be wearing suits and some tuxedos. Whether or not I get a tuxedo, I'm sure that I'll outgrow it, so I guess it doesn't really matter if I won't use it again.

Anthony678

Reaction score
I think you're thinking along the right lines. But think mid range rather than low end. Certainly no point in buying an expensive tux unless you have a lifestyle that means it will get worn regularly, or a lot of money and just want to show off.

Ignoring the option of going bespoke - a high-end retail tux will cost a few thousand, whereas a mid-range will cost a few hundred. Probably 98 percent of the people who see you wearing it will not be able to tell the difference at all.

On the other hand a mid-range tux costing a few hundred will be a big and noticeable step up from a real bargain-basement online one, costing 100 or under, or a rental (just won't fit properly).

At the sort of events where people who don't regularly wear tuxes wear tuxes (think annual sales awards ceremonies or Christmas parties where "black tie" is chosen as, essentially, a more upscale alternative to "fancy dress") most people will be wearing rentals or very low end 100 dollar tuxes from online importers. A mid range one will make you look a cut above, particularly if it's tailored. I guess you are American by your use of "tuxedo" so I am not sure specifically what retailers to recommend but in the UK we have Charles Tyrwitt (can never spell that one right), Reiss and Hawes & Curtis at this sort of level. I got my own from Reiss, it cost about £400 and I get lots of compliments on it, at the sort of events where everyone else is wearing even cheaper ones or rentals!
I am American. Yeah I am definitely looking more in the $300-500 range. I imagine this varies, but would you happen to know what I should expect to spend for alterations? Also do you know if it is common to find abandoned tuxedos at tailors?

rjc149

Reaction score
I understand where you're coming from and agree, but I just can't imagine wearing a suit to a dance.

How would you make a dark suit fancier, more like something you'd wear to an evening dance? I just associate suits with blatant business wear.

I was originally thinking of wearing a nice dinner jacket with a turtleneck, taking it in a smarter direction, but my prom is in late May, so it'll be too warm for that.
I’m suggesting that instead of buying a tux for your prom, rent one, and use the tux money for a dark suit, which is 100x more versatile and something you should own as you transition into adulthood. $500 will get you a good first suit.

I agree, wearing a suit and tie to your prom is stodgy. You are supposed to wear a tux, so definitely wear one, but no need to waste your money on owning it.

John Dave

Reaction score
I don't really have a high budget and I've always wanted to have a beautiful, original, and "Victorian" looking tuxedo. I recently came across this tuxedo and I love the design. It might not be the tuxedo you'd wear to a wedding (and again, it depends on the style imposed) but for an event with friends or something like that, it would really look good!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kretnuhk