• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HughJ

Reaction score

I'm still having navy blazer dilemmas. Narrowed it down to these:
http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-outer...ed-fit-blazer?q=2fsbi4||BL038NAV|||||||||||||
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...t_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=40 Long#null
http://www.parkandbond.com/product/101490614
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...t_by=newArrivals&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=40 Long
If anyone can provide some feedback that would be a big help. They're all within my budget so I'm really just looking to hear which one would be the best fit and quality for a navy blazer that I can wear around an office that is mostly business casual (only Senior VP's wear suits daily).
Edit: I guess the links got chopped? The 2 BB's I posted at the Fitzgerald blazer in navy and the 1818 blazer in navy.
This one would be a slight budget stretch but it's manageable: http://www.parkandbond.com/product/112524204

I think the half canvassed Fitzgerald is the best fit, if by the sounds of it, you are looking for your main workhorse. I'm sure the Belvest is well made, but the patch pockets make it a little "dressed down" for day to day. I would also want to see the fabric in person, as I get skeptical when I hear "water and stain resistant" or "travel blazer". Could be treated and not so nice. I don't like the styling of the other 3 between the small lapels, slanted pockets, peak lapels and short overall length (unless the models are exceptionally tall and poorly chosen LOL)

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score

Winston is right, you need to have the SA place an order for it to ship free.

I know this is incentive to go into the B&M store, but I wish they would offer free shipping based on if your postal code is not within reasonable distance from a store.

surf2japan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the discount applies to a Suiting Essentials Milano cut? Or is that different than the normal suiting essentials as far as discounts are concerned?

minervau

Reaction score

This would be my first suit (in college)
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...LACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null
w/ the 15% off it would be right around $600. Is that a good price or should I look for a better deal or even look for a cheaper brand/suit for my first suit?

That is a fair price for the suit. It's not a steal, but for a starter suit an 1818 is a very solid choice, and it'll be nicer than 90% of the suits people at college are wearing.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know if the discount applies to a Suiting Essentials Milano cut? Or is that different than the normal suiting essentials as far as discounts are concerned?

Does that even exist?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just picked up a bow tie, two supima button downs, and a pair of fitz canvas trousers.  Anyone know if the supima cotton shirts are non-iron.  I'm allergic to the non-iron.  They don't mention it, but I don't trust them to label everything well.

If they are made in the US they are not non-iron. IME BB non-iron has "non-iron" on the label.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the half canvassed Fitzgerald is the best fit, if by the sounds of it, you are looking for your main workhorse. I'm sure the Belvest is well made, but the patch pockets make it a little "dressed down" for day to day. I would also want to see the fabric in person, as I get skeptical when I hear "water and stain resistant" or "travel blazer". Could be treated and not so nice. I don't like the styling of the other 3 between the small lapels, slanted pockets, peak lapels and short overall length (unless the models are exceptionally tall and poorly chosen LOL)

Thanks very much for that reply. I was leaning toward the PS, to be honest. But, yeah, I'm not a blazer person yet and so I usually overlook the shortness of wear the blazer ends. I have a BB Corp. card, too - hopefully I can get that extra discount on top of the already discounted sales price.

The only blazer I own right now is a Fitzgerald charcoal herringbone but I need to get to the tailor and swap out the buttons, and maybe shorten the sleeves just a tad. Aside from that, it fit me well off the rack.

I also stashed a brown double windowpane fully canvassed Fitz in my shopping bag this morning so I might pull the trigger on that, too.

Thanks again! I probably woulda gotten the PS and been disappointed at the trendy short length. The lapels I don't mind so much.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own the corduroy pants that are currently on sale? How are they? You can't tell much from pics.

CounselorStyle

Reaction score

Maybe the corporate discount?

It was my impression that neither of those would work with the major sales, as per the not valid with other discounts clause on the sale. Am I mistaken?

I'd try the corporate discount online, but it insists that my mailing/billing address is invalid.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The corp discount does not get applied if you try. I made a purchase a few moments ago.

Last edited:

CounselorStyle

Reaction score

The corp discount does not get applied if you try. I made a purchase a few moments ago.

As expected, but a bit of a shame. The difference between summer sale and the (always available) corporate discount really doesn't seem like enough to go after non-essential purchases. IIRC, the winter sale was a lot better.

Last edited:

urfloormatt

Reaction score
Since BB annoyingly uses different fits for their chinos versus all of their other pants (except Milano, apparently), any with experience want to assess how these fits compare to Fitz in the waist, rear and thigh? It would seem the Clark or the Milano would be the best comparison (plain front, straight fit).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads