• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is designer not designer?

davei

Reaction score
Check out this article: http://www.lefirme.com/media_releases_p2.htm I've dealt with this store before and have absolutely no complaints. It's a very nice shop, only it's location stinks - it's out in the middle of nowhere (well, an industrial strip area close to townhouse bedroom communities.) Discounting a production over-run sounds OK with me. House label suits made from top quality fabric at a "name" factory sounds OK with me too. But a factory that has excess fabric and is looking to use it up.... hm, I don't know. If the item is made with the same fabric, sewn with the same attention to detail, and has the same label, I won't quibble. What if the item is just thrown together and sewn haphazardly, or without the same amount of quality control? It's discounted, but not up to snuff - a second, in my book. Thoughts, anyone?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As in all things, I think that judgement is called for. Joe G., for example, has often called the quality of first quality Prada items into question. I personally think that the materials and workmanship of any product licensed through IT, including D&G, D&G Jeans, &, (but not black or white label Dolce & Gabbana), Ferre Jeans, Versace Jeans Couture, and exte, are shoddy.

I think it unlikely that by "leftover material" what they mean are "scraps". Much more likely, they have whole rolls of surplus material leftover because they overestimated the number of seconds, etc..., and just continued their production run until they actually ran out of cloth. In that case, I would say that the product is first quality.

You must, however, remain the final arbiter. Make sure to inspect the goods thoroughly before you purchase, especially at stores like Le Firme, which are unlikely to have a good return policy.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is quite common for a manufacturer/designer to commit to an order of a minimum quantity of a particular fabric/cloth; either to get exclusivity of an existing pattern or to have a pattern of your own design woven or printed.

If the sales of that design don't come up to expectation, you will be left sitting on bales of fabric. If your company is incredibly exclusive and if that pattern is instantly recognizable (like an Hermes tie pattern) you will shred it, as not to devalue the design and the brand. Otherwise you try to sell it on; at a loss if need be. So there is nothing wrong in having overstock of certain fabrics/cloths.

jetLab

Reaction score
Is Le Firme locataed near the Chinese mall called Times Square? What is the selection like? There is a store in the Chinese mall that sells Ittierre labels including D&G, GFF Jeans and Trussardi.

Just checked out the website, sounds pretty cool:
As always men's suits from Cerrutti and Zegna are less than half of retail; the handmade Radaelli line (alterations done on site) starts at $700.00. Le Firme's new private-label suits, made by the same Italian factories that service Prada and Dolce & Gabbana, start at a mind blowing $500.00.

davei

Reaction score
Is Le Firme locataed near the Chinese mall called Times Square? What is the selection like? There is a store in the Chinese mall that sells Ittierre labels including D&G, GFF Jeans and Trussardi. Just checked out the website, sounds pretty cool:
Quote:
As always men's suits from Cerrutti and Zegna are less than half of retail; the handmade Radaelli line (alterations done on site) starts at $700.00. Le Firme's new private-label suits, made by the same Italian factories that service Prada and Dolce & Gabbana, start at a mind blowing $500.00.
It's in the general vicinity of Times Square - about fifteen minutes away, it's around West Beaver Creek if I remember correctly. Since I moved from the area, I haven't been there in a while, but the selection was OK. Kind of a mix between Harry Rosen & the Holt Renfrew sportswear section, maybe leaning towards Harry a bit. At one point they did online sales as well, but I guess they stopped.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads