• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's The Best You Can Do? GTFOH Tire Kicker!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many times have you listed an item only to have some tire kicker come along and waste you time over like a week asking for additional measurements, pics, etc. then once you give up the PayPal info they go silent? When you list items at 99% off retail it should be a no brainer. But inevitably there will be the guy who sends PM after PM asking for more info and ultimately, "what's the best you can do?". GTFOH scrub. Go somewhere else.

What are/were your experiences in selling on here? Dudes just want stuff free? With free shipping? Let it out. Go on.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Need more pics before I decide if I'm interested in this threak or not...

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was taught many years ago that you don't negotiate with yourself. If you have named a price, never be the next person to name a number.

A little off topic, but I think it is more productive to set a reasonable price and then hold the line at that price. The time and frustration spent with bargain hunters and negotiators is not worth it. I used to have a little more patience with it but I too have had buyers on SF hammer away on price, finally come to agreement...and then disappear or say "Let me think about it".

So now I set a fair price. Buy it. Don't buy it. One sale doesn't really matter to me.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was taught many years ago that you don't negotiate with yourself. If you have named a price, never be the next person to name a number.
A little off topic, but I think it is more productive to set a reasonable price and then hold the line at that price. The time and frustration spent with bargain hunters and negotiators is not worth it. I used to have a little more patience with it but I too have had buyers on SF hammer away on price, finally come to agreement...and then disappear or say "Let me think about it".
So now I set a fair price. Buy it. Don't buy it. One sale doesn't really matter to me.

I like what you've come up with to discourage requests for shoe sole measurements. May have to include that in my own listings, if you don't mind.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like what you've come up with to discourage requests for shoe sole measurements. May have to include that in my own listings, if you don't mind.

Copy and paste, my friend.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've actually had pretty good experiences selling things here.

About 99.5% of the buyers here are great. In fact, SF buyers are by far the best group which I deal with.

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy and sell guitars A LOT, and I've learned that the guys that ask 100 questions are the ones least likely to buy anything.
Either they really, REALLY care about every miniscule detail, or they're just sitting on the fence on lots of other stuff and simply want to delay you.(while trying to decide what to buy)

As for the low-ballers, just ignore 'em. I used to get pissed off when guys were offering 50% of my asking price(which usually is the lowest). They're just testing the waters...lots of sellers actually cave in to low-ball offers out of desperation.

My absolute favorite though: You and someone local decide to meet up. Price is already agreed upon, so it should just be a fast swap...then the person tries to low-ball you in person, hoping that you cave in since the money is on the table.

Or they don't show up(without saying, of course)

Or they want discount because of fuel money.

Or they come up with some absurd trade. ("Something came up, I don't have cash. But I have this nice and brand new Stereo/laptop/tv in my trunk)

Hell, I even once had a guy come home to me, pick up item, use my computer for sending paypal money, and the next day open a dispute against me for never shipping item!
People suck.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are 5 or 6 consistent Fukwits on SF ( incidentally since the change over).
It is really unfortunate and has me Spending less time on the site...obviously selling less.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the worst low-ballers are in fact flippers. Buy low, sell on ebay for much higher (often to foreigners that don't mind buying a bit extra).
I'm actually surprised there aren't more of those here on SF, since we're pretty spoiled on the prices.
There are 5 or 6 consistent Fukwits on SF ( incidentally since the change over).
It is really unfortunate and has me Spending less time on the site...obviously selling less.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hell, I even once had a guy come home to me, pick up item, use my computer for sending paypal money, and the next day open a dispute against me for never shipping item!
People suck.  

wow, that's pretty special

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads