• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the deal with is Kirby Allison’s business model?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you saying this because he brought up Saphir, and Rudy had Kiwi black dripping down his face?
lol oh boy here I go... it's his way of writing about the "deadly pandemic" and shipping delays... but I don't want to go all Q-Anon here so let's keep it as it was intended - a stupid jab from my end.

Also, I don't have the intellect nor the English writing skills to compete with @dieworkwear so I'll shut up now!

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
You keep on making the same point over and over again without adding anything new. You have said that the extra high prices Kirby charges are worth it because of the service probably two dozen times. We get it.

I have nothing against Kirby. His approach to clothing is definitely different than mine, but he seems like a nice dude. I've never bought anything from him before and don't intend to, but that is just because nothing he sells really appeals to me, and if it does it is stuff I get elsewhere (for example, I get Saphir from my local cobbler).

wrong
Every day that passes and the product hasn’t arrived is a new development. Kirby’s services look better and better.

and it’s not like I was giving Daly updates. I posted recently as we hit February and it’s gone from a week or two to a few weeks.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
wrong
Every day that passes and the product hasn’t arrived is a new development. Kirby’s services look better and better.

and it’s not like I was giving Daly updates. I posted recently as we hit February and it’s gone from a week or two to a few weeks.

I wasn't talking about your discussion of your Pediwear order, though you have mentioned it in 15 comments by my count. I was talking about you making the same points about Kirby's service over and over again.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I wasn't talking about your discussion of your Pediwear order, though you have mentioned it in 15 comments by my count. I was talking about you making the same points about Kirby's service over and over again.

yeah, Kirby’s service is exceptional. Good point.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against Kirby. His approach to clothing is definitely different than mine, but he seems like a nice dude. I've never bought anything from him before and don't intend to, but that is just because nothing he sells really appeals to me, and if it does it is stuff I get elsewhere (for example, I get Saphir from my local cobbler).
His pants hangers are the top notch. I use them for the pants of my bespoke suits. Only thing I bought from him after watching a short video he did on them on his youtube channel.

His series with Eric Jensen convinced me to commission a suit with him. Unfortunately I'm stuck in Texas and can't travel to NYC to do my first fitting.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Believe it or not, many people are back at work. I am wearing a suit 4 days a week, and have been for months.

You live on a rural island in Hawaii and wear a suit 4 days a week?

A long time ago I order some Saphir products from Kirby. As we all know, they were a few bucks more than others however they were shown as in stock when I ordered. A few days later I received a package with one of the items. The packing slip said "backordered" for the other item. Emailed them with WTF. Received an email from Kirby saying sorry, demand higher than expected something something something. A month later I received the backordered stuff.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell if people are being dense on purpose.

There's a pandemic. Commercial airlines have reduced capacity. This has affected international shipments. In normal times, international shipments are not like this.

This has nothing to do with the business on the other side. Between you and that business is a shipper. That shipper relies on airlines. It is a gamble to buy things from abroad because there's a once-in-a-hundred-years deadly disease.

Perhaps things would function better if half this country would follow the rules -- don't go out, stay home, wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands -- but since they don't, things have gotten worse and worse, which is affecting precious shoe supply shipments.

Don't forget the insurrection.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I haven't been having problems with shipping times at all, even internationally, but that's due to my marvelous courier service. It's amazing what a few broken-spirited butlers can accomplish.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might wear a Kirby sovereign grade tie today just to celebrate this thread!

What's the next tier down from Sovereign? Despot? Principate?

im-146695.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't forget, The Prince is at its foundation about creating a republic (according to Rousseau). So the highest would be Republic Grade.

Yes, but it turns out Rousseau was wrong about a lot of things. ;)

I myself prefer an oligarchy, so perhaps more Robert the Bruce than Robert Talbot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads