• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the deal with is Kirby Allison’s business model?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
idk about you but restaurants opened back up for outdoor eating here in CA. do you dress in flip flops and PJs to eat out? I also I plan to go on vacation soon. Not that uncommon to wear polished loafers when eating out anywhere.

We live in roughly the same area, no? I mean, you're just going out, sitting outside, eating your food, and then going home. Are you really that excited to wear an item for like an hour? I have enough clothes to last me until I die, nevermind to get me through an hour lunch outside.

I think I've worn a sport coat ... three times? ... since March. Maybe five times. Otherwise, I wear jeans and the same vintage Lee denim trucker jacket because there's very little incentive to put in the effort nowadays for quick outings.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We live in roughly the same area, no? I mean, you're just going out, sitting outside, eating your food, and then going home. Are you really that excited to wear an item for like an hour? I have enough clothes to last me until I die, nevermind to get me through an hour lunch outside.

I think I've worn a sport coat ... three times? ... since March. Maybe five times. Otherwise, I wear jeans and the same vintage Lee denim trucker jacket because there's very little incentive to put in the effort nowadays for quick outings.
true, not that I dress up in a tux but I also still attend meetings with clients. all I am saying is that not all people just sit at home in PJs all day and hence I want my Purdey clothes ASAP :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
true, not that I dress up in a tux but I also still attend meetings with clients. all I am saying is that not all people just sit at home in PJs all day and hence I want my Purdey clothes ASAP :)

^ what I tell people my life is like on StyleForum

Other than for rare meetings and other business activities outside I only wear PJs / basketball shorts and t-shirts b/c I am WFH.

^ what my life is really like

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ what I tell people my life is like on StyleForum

^ what my life is really like
lol true but it did change a bit recently. People in real estate seem to be willing to meet up again and what was Zoom meetings recently is now a face to face again. Same goes for restaurants - since they opened up last week I been eating out a lot (at least on days it did not rain).

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Since last March, I wore a sport coat 3x: Thanksgiving, Christmas and once when I updated my will (I signed the documents in my car while my lawyer stood outside- I imagine she appreciated my nod to formality but she didn’t really say)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Will be shipping a box to Kirby's business by FedEx ground this week.

Let's see how long it takes

Place your bets!

Will update tracking info as it comes in

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greg at NMWA mentioned that he terminated all international shipments for his business because people were too impatient with shipments. Things would ship, get stuck en route because of the changes in commercial airlines, and then they'd file a chargeback. He lost about five figures in terms of money.

Even if you order clothes or shoe polish or whatever, and it arrives, I don't know what you even plan to do with the item. We're all stuck here until fall or so. Are you going to wear your polished shoes around the living room?
I go into work Monday - Friday, sometimes I wish I could just sit home on my couch like 90% of the world, but unfortunately that's not the case. I did have 2 weeks of R.O.M the other day and was working from home since I traveled outside the state, but even got called back in early from that.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fair enough but richard anderson also uses DHL and is also quick as a whip (actually quicker than domestically shipped Saks deliveries).

I honestly don't know but it seems that a lot of business are using the pandemic as an excuse. Yes, this statement will not go over very well with you and I have no proof but it seems to be that well run businesses can still deliver.

I have no dog in this fight either way and maybe I just got lucky.

I ordered a sizeable quantity of knitwear from a long established maker in Scotland with whom I have a wholesale account, on Dec. 18th. They normally ship to me within a couple of days, but this order arrived on 1/21. It was sent UPS, who sent it back to them because UPS didnt have guidance about forms due to Brexit. Then the package got stuck in Customs in the UK for over a week. Then UPS in the US was unsure how to deal with packages from the UK, and it sat in one of their facilities 90 miles from me for a week. Then, after I called repeatedly and complained, they claimed they needed my Tax ID, despite it being on all of the customs forms.

On the day I finally received the package (1/21), placed another order with this vendor and received it on 1/25.

Having a business is hard. Customers often have unrealistic expectations and dont actually know how things work. But they still have opinions.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a sizeable quantity of knitwear from a long established maker in Scotland with whom I have a wholesale account, on Dec. 18th. They normally ship to me within a couple of days, but this order arrived on 1/21. It was sent UPS, who sent it back to them because UPS didnt have guidance about forms due to Brexit. Then the package got stuck in Customs in the UK for over a week. Then UPS in the US was unsure how to deal with packages from the UK, and it sat in one of their facilities 90 miles from me for a week. Then, after I called repeatedly and complained, they claimed they needed my Tax ID, despite it being on all of the customs forms.

On the day I finally received the package (1/21), placed another order with this vendor and received it on 1/25.

Having a business is hard. Customers often have unrealistic expectations and dont actually know how things work. But they still have opinions.
fair enough, and I do have opinions but I think the expectation depend also on what kind of products you sell. For example if you sell 100k bespoke shot guns or 5-7k suits most customers expect good service (which I received). If it's shoe polish for $20 from kirby I obviously have lower expectations.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fair enough, and I do have opinions but I think the expectation depend also on what kind of products you sell. For example if you sell 100k bespoke shot guns or 5-7k suits most customers expect good service (which I received). If it's shoe polish for $20 from kirby I obviously have lower expectations.

Purdy has fucked up orders, just like firms that sell 5-7k suits, or Rolls Royce, etc, etc. I get what you're saying, and generally, all companies WANT to to a good job. Sometimes things are out of their control and theres not always anything you can do about it.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Greg at NMWA mentioned that he terminated all international shipments for his business because people were too impatient with shipments. Things would ship, get stuck en route because of the changes in commercial airlines, and then they'd file a chargeback. He lost about five figures in terms of money.

Even if you order clothes or shoe polish or whatever, and it arrives, I don't know what you even plan to do with the item. We're all stuck here until fall or so. Are you going to wear your polished shoes around the living room?

Believe it or not, many people are back at work. I am wearing a suit 4 days a week, and have been for months.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Kirby has had no delays from shipping. #noexcuses

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Cause it's domestic dude.

for what it’s worth, I just ordered a pair of shoes from pediwear. I’m not against their company.

this was a discussion on why people would pay more for Kirby than others. Well...., as has been pointed out, Kirby’s products arrive timely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics