• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the deal with is Kirby Allison’s business model?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so after all these posts and pages what is the actual deal with the business model? has anyone figured it out??

Here's a hint - it's not rocket science........he buys things at a low price and sells them for a higher price - the difference is called profit (gasp!) which I assume allows him to live. You are free to shop elsewhere.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they haven't shipped it they could/should explain the delay. Did they give you a reason?

If it shipped, you have an issue with the carrier

Don't know the details, just responding to this post
anybody that claims the pandemic delays their shipping has to look at Purdey, I ordered a bunch of items on Dec. 26th and received them 1st week of January in San Francisco, CA. Absolutely amazing and goes to show you that some business got it while others just don't.

Last edited:

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Kirby bone collar stays are among my favorite offerings from his store.
3. You only need one nice pair of collar stays (maybe 2 or 3 if you have a lot of different size shirt collars). But you certainly don’t need multiple stays. View attachment 1546534

you think this now, but one day you may feel a sudden urge to make it rain collar stays, so it’s best to be ready :D

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
anybody that claims the pandemic delays their shipping has to look and Purdey, I ordered a bunch of items on Dec. 26th and received them 1st week of January. Absolutely amazing and goes to show you that some business got it while others just don't.

Sorry, but this is a stupid and insensitive comment. 1) Different places have vastly different restrictions. 2) Many shipping companies are experiencing major delays right now. 3) Perhaps not everybody has the means right now to run at full capacity. 4) Perhaps certain places are running at a lower capacity to keep their employees safe and perhaps certain places have employees who don't feel comfortable working for them right now. 5) There might be certain stores that have to ship more right now than they are used to because people can't buy in-person. 6) Many places might be behind because perhaps there were certain periods when orders couldn't go out due to restrictions.

There is a pandemic going on right now. People are dying. Over the last couple of weeks, more Americans have died on the average day than died from the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001. It seems very insensitive to complain that luxury goods aren't being delivered in a timely fashion when the express reason for this is that people are dying and businesses are functioning differently as a result.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but this is a stupid and insensitive comment. 1) Different places have vastly different restrictions. 2) Many shipping companies are experiencing major delays right now. 3) Perhaps not everybody has the means right now to run at full capacity. 4) Perhaps certain places are running at a lower capacity to keep their employees safe and perhaps certain places have employees who don't feel comfortable working for them right now. 5) There might be certain stores that have to ship more right now than they are used to because people can't buy in-person. 6) Many places might be behind because perhaps there were certain periods when orders couldn't go out due to restrictions.

There is a pandemic going on right now. People are dying. Over the last couple of weeks, more Americans have died on the average day than died from the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001. It seems very insensitive to complain that luxury goods aren't being delivered in a timely fashion when the express reason for this is that people are dying and businesses are functioning differently as a result.
no interest in engaging in this discussion, all I said was that Purdey over delivered while others don't. If that offends you- sorry.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shipping is sometimes independent of the retailer. Again, it's like rolling the dice. Sometimes the Gods favor you and put your package onto an airline. Sometimes they don't. This is not something the shipper has control over.

When I shipped my item to London, I just paid extra for USPS Priority. But the shipping cost was very high (I think it was like $80). UPS and FedEx quoted me something like $250 for my item.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
no interest in engaging in this discussion, all I said was that Purdey over delivered while others don't. If that offends you- sorry.

You said that Purdey shows that the pandemic doesn't delay shipping. This is wrong. You said that they get it and that other stores don't. Again, I think this is wrong.

People are dying because of a pandemic and people on here are complaining that their shoe polish took a bit longer to arrive because of that pandemic.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You said that Purdey shows that the pandemic doesn't delay shipping. This is wrong. You said that they get it and that other stores don't. Again, I think this is wrong.

People are dying because of a pandemic and people on here are complaining that their shoe polish took a bit longer to arrive because of that pandemic.
fair enough but richard anderson also uses DHL and is also quick as a whip (actually quicker than domestically shipped Saks deliveries).

I honestly don't know but it seems that a lot of business are using the pandemic as an excuse. Yes, this statement will not go over very well with you and I have no proof but it seems to be that well run businesses can still deliver.

I have no dog in this fight either way and maybe I just got lucky.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
fair enough but richard anderson also uses DHL and is also quick as a whip (actually quicker than domestically shipped Saks deliveries).

I honestly don't know but it seems that a lot of business are using the pandemic as an excuse. Yes, this statement will not go over very well with you and I have no proof but it seems to be that well run businesses can still deliver.

I have no dog in this fight either way and maybe I just got lucky.

Give businesses the benefit of the doubt.

Some places also pay more for shipping than others. Purdey, for instance, appears to have very large margins. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those margins go to more expensive shipping.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just spoke with a vendor and he is expecting cloth form Italy via DHL. The shipment is delayed by DHL due to implementing new import protocols. He can't ship cloth to tailors until it gets through customs and delivered to him.
This is an established company who imports constantly. It's just the way it is now.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Greg at NMWA mentioned that he terminated all international shipments for his business because people were too impatient with shipments. Things would ship, get stuck en route because of the changes in commercial airlines, and then they'd file a chargeback. He lost about five figures in terms of money.

Even if you order clothes or shoe polish or whatever, and it arrives, I don't know what you even plan to do with the item. We're all stuck here until fall or so. Are you going to wear your polished shoes around the living room?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greg at NMWA mentioned that he terminated all international shipments for his business because people were too impatient with shipments. Things would ship, get stuck en route because of the changes in commercial airlines, and then they'd file a chargeback. He lost about five figures in terms of money.

Even if you order clothes or shoe polish or whatever, and it arrives, I don't know what you even plan to do with the item. We're all stuck here until fall or so. Are you going to wear your polished shoes around the living room?
idk about you but restaurants opened back up for outdoor eating here in CA. do you dress in flip flops and PJs to eat out? I also I plan to go on vacation soon. Not that uncommon to wear polished loafers when eating out anywhere.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have shoes coming from the NL tracking for 4 days.
I had fragrance from New York in the same amount of time.
I had wine from Italy sit in customs for a month.
Spier got delayed two days due to weather.
Spin the wheel, I don't think any vendor wants to intentionally piss anyone off with late deliveries, it tends to be bad for repeat business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads