• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Waterproof spray for shoes?

noremac

Reaction score
Hi,

This many have been asked before, but I can't find a thread with definitive information. Feel free to point me to the correct thread if this info is already somewhere else.

What do you think about waterproof sprays for leather shoes? What is the best waterproofing product that I should be using? I've seen mixed opinions on whether or not to use spray (and debate about silicone or non-silicone) or conditioner, so I'm not really sure what information is reliable.

This is not a trivial matter for me. I live in a rainy region, and wearing shoes in the rain is unavoidable. I don't have the option of switching to non-leather shoes when it's raining, and overshoes are overkill for all but the rainiest of days.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Taverner.cohen

Reaction score
Hi,

This many have been asked before, but I can't find a thread with definitive information. Feel free to point me to the correct thread if this info is already somewhere else.

What do you think about waterproof sprays for leather shoes? What is the best waterproofing product that I should be using? I've seen mixed opinions on whether or not to use spray (and debate about silicone or non-silicone) or conditioner, so I'm not really sure what information is reliable.

This is not a trivial matter for me. I live in a rainy region, and wearing shoes in the rain is unavoidable. I don't have the option of switching to non-leather shoes when it's raining, and overshoes are overkill for all but the rainiest of days.

Thanks for any advice.
I would personally recommend you the Invulner Tarrago (blue Spray), I bought one last year and it does last a lot, I still have more than half spray, basically it make a thin surface on the suede (it is specialited on suede mostly, not sure if suitable for non suede shoes), protecting it from rainning and dirt; every time you brush the shoes the surface goes, so you are required to put another one.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather is porous—it is skin after all—and sooner or later it will absorb water. It will also, sooner or later, dry out. Chemical waterproofing agents designed to permanently prevent this natural process will either fail, or succeed to the point of converting the leather into plastic. Neither result is desirable. (The exception is suede, on which I have had good results with Safir’s suede waterproofing spray.)

The best protection for fine leather dress shoes is regular application of a quality polish, which will work wax into the pores. It doesn’t last forever, so there is no getting around it: you need to do the regular maintenance. And try to avoid walking through deep puddles.

hudsonburnell

Reaction score
I use waterproof sprays too, and I can say that they can help you on a short period of time.

rjc149

Reaction score
It depends entirely on what kind of shoe you're trying to waterproof.

Conventional waterproofing agents like Sno-seal or Nikwax are designed and intended for hiking/work boots. Because this seals the pores of the leather, moisture will have trouble getting out as well.

For dress shoes, I've found that a good layer of polish sheds moderate amounts of rain -- but won't stay dry in a soaking.

For my casual waxed/oiled leather shoes, I've used Timberland Waxed Leather Protector and Bickmore Apache Creme which makes them reasonably water-repellent but again, won't keep my feet completely dry in a real soaking. That's simply the nature of leather, which is animal flesh, and porous by nature.

I've found that silicon sprays are better for synthetic Goretex boots, since it can better work its way into the fibers of the fabric. I haven't tried it on leather. Generally speaking I want to preserve the beauty and breathability of my leather shoes, at the expense of some water repellency.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have stated - wax, not cream, will help the upper. But, if you're outside quite a bit and the sole is leather that can get saturated. If you're outside long enough for the sole to get saturated then it definitely is NOT overkill to wear overshoes. If it's just 10 minute walks from parking to building, should be a non issue.

androshuddelston

Reaction score
It must be very difficult for you if you aren't able to switch to non-leather shoes in such rainy weather. Well, in this case, the spray will certainly help in some way, although I wouldn't rely on it. Anyways, you need to buy waterproof shoes. Maybe something like this would suit you https://sportsgearmetry.com/best-waterproof-golf-shoes/. Personally, I have several types of such shoes, and I have never regretted that I bought them. If you work in a serious job where you need to have a strict look, the only way I see it is to wear such shoes and change to leather shoes when you arrive to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics