1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Watch for around 3K

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Simple Elegance, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Simple Elegance

Simple Elegance Member

After being a long time lurker, I decided to crawl to the surface and ask SF for advice. I've been recently hired by a management consulting firm, one that requires to wear a suit every day. I was looking to buy a middle range watch (around $2500-$3500) that is stylish & modern, as I'm only 22 years old. I will also use it for my nights out, which often include pairing jeans with a sport coat. I was looking at a couple of options from Cartier and Bvlgari. I really like the Bvlgari, except I hate the name of the brand on the bezel area. I hope you share your knowledge with me. Regards, SE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 330CK

330CK Senior member

I would not get something as gaudy as that; youll just look like a typical young person trying to show off. If you absolutely desire to make a bold statement, a Pre-owned Rolex Submariner is the most blatant I would go.

Personally, I would do a basic white face IWC Portofino that can be worn with any suit and, if absolutely necessary, would be mildly acceptable with a tuxedo. Research watches to learn what horology is about. That way, when someone in the know asks you about your esoteric watch, you'll be able to hold a conversation. This alone can open doors for you.

3. venessian

venessian Senior member

Look at the myriad watch threads here.

Go enroll on watchuseek and look there.

Go to a site such as Prestige Time and plug in your budget numbers.

Not in any particular order.

But, whatever you do, do not buy either of those 2 watches you posted. Please. You can do better.

4. ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy Senior member

i'm in the market for a similarly priced watch, and have been looking at Omegas. just a suggestion, may be worth checking their site. also, i've looked at longines

5. ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy Senior member

oh, and also baume & mercier

6. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Omega speedmaster. /end

7. ohdannyboy

ohdannyboy Senior member

8. afterglow

afterglow Well-Known Member

+1. Very versatile. Classy since the 60s and the foreseeable future.

9. GBear

GBear Senior member

You could also look into Maurice Lacroix...or some vintage Vacherons.

10. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

3717 Get bored of it and resell for 90% of original value. Ftw But then again you can always go with an omega if you enjoy mediocrity [​IMG]

11. Hages

Hages Well-Known Member

12. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Get bored of it and resell for 90% of original value.

Ftw

But then again you can always go with an omega if you enjoy mediocrity [​IMG]

I like the IWC 3717 better than the speedmaster myself, but even at grey market pricing it is 20% over the budget. The speedy you can get sub $3K and have some left over to buy something else.

The problem with these watch threads stating a budget is that someone will always give suggestions out of the price range stating that it is worth holding off and saving the extra cash for something arguably marginally better, then all of a sudden you have doods suggesting Pateks and ALS's or telling the OP they can get great vintage watches, which will require a lot of time, reading and finding resources when all the guy wants is a solid $3K watch.

13. btinl

btinl Senior member

Omega speedmaster, seamaster, or planet ocean are all solid choices.

The IWC 3717 has a look that gets old quickly. It has a very busy dial.

14. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

15. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Just a thought, but if you're 22 maybe you don't need to jump right into the 3000-dollar watch game. Have you looked around at what's available for less than that? (And thought about what's gonna happen if you scratch the face in the first week after dropping 3 Gs on it?)

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Omega speedmaster. /end

good solid option. you might want to look into breitling and tag they also have some options in your budget. keep browsing on prestigetime they have alot of stuff there, and you will get a feel for what costs how much at full retail

17. Simple Elegance

Simple Elegance Member

I have found many of the options on other threads... mmm "uninspiring". I was looking for something I could wear for the next 5-6 years, then sell it and get something more conservative, or appropriate to my age. I found this in another thread, is it still too gaudy? I'm looking for something less classic (and expensive) than a rolex.
    [​IMG]

18. btinl

btinl Senior member

Just a thought, but if you're 22 maybe you don't need to jump right into the 3000-dollar watch game. Have you looked around at what's available for less than that? (And thought about what's gonna happen if you scratch the face in the first week after dropping 3 Gs on it?)

It's pretty difficult to scratch the crystal on a watch.

19. Noah.Dreams

Noah.Dreams Well-Known Member

This watch screams, "I haven't arrived, but I know where I'm going". all at under $500 [​IMG][​IMG]

20. venessian

venessian Senior member

I have found many of the options on other threads... mmm "uninspiring". I was looking for something I could wear for the next 5-6 years, then sell it and get something more conservative, or appropriate to my age.

I found this in another thread, is it still too gaudy? I'm looking for something less classic (and expensive) than a rolex.

Sorry, but if you've searched the watch threads here and found the majority of watches "uninspiring" and then think the 3 examples you've posted so far are somehow inspiring you need to look more carefully. I mean that with all respect.

If you want some real advice, as opposed to endless usual suspects suggestions or "This is what I have." show-off posts, then post more specifically what you are looking for regarding functions (Do you want a chrono? Why? Dress watch? Tool watch?); case material/shape/size; dial color; etc.

You want something versatile, for work and evening wear; I suggest something relatively classic, not something that screams "Look at me!" and will look dated in 3 years.

Frankly, your age (22 or 28 or 45 or 78) has little to do with it. You're not under 16 anymore. There are many directions you can choose.

The last watch you posted isn't too "gaudy" in my opinion, but is a rather unremarkable Flieger homage. Nothing special. As I have stated before, slanted date wheels at 4:30 are particularly tacky looking.