Watch for around 3K

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Simple Elegance, Mar 10, 2011.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Omega speedmaster. /end

good solid option. you might want to look into breitling and tag they also have some options in your budget. keep browsing on prestigetime they have alot of stuff there, and you will get a feel for what costs how much at full retail

2. Simple Elegance

Simple Elegance Member

I have found many of the options on other threads... mmm "uninspiring". I was looking for something I could wear for the next 5-6 years, then sell it and get something more conservative, or appropriate to my age. I found this in another thread, is it still too gaudy? I'm looking for something less classic (and expensive) than a rolex.
    [​IMG]

3. btinl

btinl Senior member

Just a thought, but if you're 22 maybe you don't need to jump right into the 3000-dollar watch game. Have you looked around at what's available for less than that? (And thought about what's gonna happen if you scratch the face in the first week after dropping 3 Gs on it?)

It's pretty difficult to scratch the crystal on a watch.

4. Noah.Dreams

Noah.Dreams Well-Known Member

This watch screams, "I haven't arrived, but I know where I'm going". all at under $500 [​IMG][​IMG]

5. venessian

venessian Senior member

I have found many of the options on other threads... mmm "uninspiring". I was looking for something I could wear for the next 5-6 years, then sell it and get something more conservative, or appropriate to my age.

I found this in another thread, is it still too gaudy? I'm looking for something less classic (and expensive) than a rolex.

Sorry, but if you've searched the watch threads here and found the majority of watches "uninspiring" and then think the 3 examples you've posted so far are somehow inspiring you need to look more carefully. I mean that with all respect.

If you want some real advice, as opposed to endless usual suspects suggestions or "This is what I have." show-off posts, then post more specifically what you are looking for regarding functions (Do you want a chrono? Why? Dress watch? Tool watch?); case material/shape/size; dial color; etc.

You want something versatile, for work and evening wear; I suggest something relatively classic, not something that screams "Look at me!" and will look dated in 3 years.

Frankly, your age (22 or 28 or 45 or 78) has little to do with it. You're not under 16 anymore. There are many directions you can choose.

The last watch you posted isn't too "gaudy" in my opinion, but is a rather unremarkable Flieger homage. Nothing special. As I have stated before, slanted date wheels at 4:30 are particularly tacky looking.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

speedmaster, iwc pilot watch mark xvi, save some money and get a sinn....

7. venessian

venessian Senior member

It's pretty difficult to scratch the crystal on a watch.

It isn't so difficult, if one is careless.

The more relevant point is why is the cost of replacing a crystal even a priority concern when one is considering a $3K watch?

speedmaster, iwc pilot watch mark xvi, save some money and get a sinn....

Yes. No. Yes.

8. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I would go with an IWC Mk XVI. IMO, its style is more suited to a young person than the Portofino, which is also a great watch. Otherwise, you should be able to get an Omega Aqua Terra for that price.

If you really love Bvlgari (and I think some of their designs are great), go with one that has a black bezel, since the engraving is much more subtle. Like this:

http://www.ashford.com/ashford/brows...LAID=443624149

9. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

I don't have one yet but I would go along with others on here that suggested the Omega. It can be had for less than a Submariner and besides, the sub is outside of your budget. I'm looking for a clean, documented sub and my budget is around $4k and they are hard to find at that price. Also, you could probably find a Rolex Explorer for around what you are looking to spend.

10. kudude

kudude New Member

are you sure you have to wear a suit every day? Are you working in finance or something? MBB at the undergrad level are mostly slacks and shirts, right?

Why did you decide you wanted a watch?

11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

Get bored of it and resell for 90% of original value.

Ftw

But then again you can always go with an omega if you enjoy mediocrity [​IMG]

+ 1

I own the IWC Pilot Chrono. I wear it on alligator and it looks real nice in a suit. I also wear Rolex, but this is for the gym, weekend and anytime I need to hit the outdoors.

The Pilot Chrono is a very versatile piece. Pls don't get a Panerai. Every man and his dog is wearing this thesedays [​IMG]

12. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

good solid option. you might want to look into breitling and tag they also have some options in your budget. keep browsing on prestigetime they have alot of stuff there, and you will get a feel for what costs how much at full retail

Breitling Navitimer on strap looks absolutely fantastic with anything. One of the most versatile watches out there. May very well be my next purchase.

13. CustomWorks

CustomWorks Well-Known Member

+ 1

I own the IWC Pilot Chrono. I wear it on alligator and it looks real nice in a suit. I also wear Rolex, but this is for the gym, weekend and anytime I need to hit the outdoors.

The Pilot Chrono is a very versatile piece. Pls don't get a Panerai. Every man and his dog is wearing this thesedays [​IMG]

the pilot is pretty casual peice.. i don't think its that versatile at all.

14. venessian

venessian Senior member

the pilot is pretty casual peice.. i don't think its that versatile at all.

Primarily the Mark XVI (standard or chronograph) is just ugly. The dial is a complete disaster.

The Mark XV (standard or chronograph) had a far more elegant, balanced dial.

15. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

I would recommend a Breitling chronograph, pre-owned. One could get a nice stainless steel/18k combo watch for the money