• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Was my Tailor trying to scam me?

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solution...
Non-spill-baby-cup_99666.jpg

heard546

Reaction score
I am not wealthy, or close to being in that category. But I am with the rest of the forum members on how crazy this sounds. First, if you were true suit man and knew your current fabrics and fabric technology, then you would know that this is not a scam. The technology the taior spoke of is relatively new and used by many of the middle to high end brands on their more expensive suists. There is an article in 'Mens Best Life, GQ, and Details', covering this technology topic.

Why is it that an average middle class joe knows more about suit, than some one in the upper echelon of income. I only own 4 suits, but I still know a great deal about suits and I am learning more through this forum.

I simple way to have asked this question without pissing off our fellow forum members was to simply ask about the technology and get the members feedback. No need to mention that you are on vacation and flew a tailor in to custom make you a suit. If this was truly the case, then the extra money shouldn't be an issue.

In the future, think about how you phrase your question before posting because from what I've read you are about to get banned.

-tony

Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Does that mean that you can spill drinks on your suit and wring it out when you want something to drink?
When you spill vermouth and gin on it, will you get a Martini when you wring it out?
Is the tailor Eric Glennie?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That technology isn't that new, Zegna's Micronspher e.g. is similar I think, just put a bit of water on the stain and it will roll off like on a lotus plant.
This is however reached by a special treatment/weave whatever of the fabric itself, it avoids that fluids soak into the fabric and leave a stain when they dried out , there's no additional "ultra layer" used, at least as far as I know.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heard546

In the future, think about how you phrase your question before posting because from what I've read you are about to get banned.

-tony

You really think this guy is for real and that there was any thought in his "question?"

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to add a correction to OP's first post: 100%, not 40%, of his suits are bespoke, based on his own otherworldly definition.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a steal! When I paid a science lab from MIT to design a molecular transporter to beam a Savile Row tailor to my house, the old man said he could put an invisible teflon layer on all of my Kiton K-50 suits (all 3000 of them) for only $2000 each. Of course, his coating deflects bullets. I'm not sure about the one your tailor suggested.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
It's a steal! When I paid a science lab from MIT to design a molecular transporter to beam a Savile Row tailor to my house, the old man said he could put an invisible teflon layer on all of my Kiton K-50 suits (all 3000 of them) for only $2000 each. Of course, his coating deflects bullets. I'm not sure about the one your tailor suggested.

My superman suit does the same.

bandaloop

Reaction score
Relatively new to the forum - entertaining and informative - of all the posters Diesel you are a douchebag

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Seriously, if this were true, why would you complain about 430$. I mean, you paid for the man to come to you. That surely cost more than 430. And secondly, how stupid are you to buy an invisible coating for your suit. This lie makes you look like you have more money than brains, and that is just as bad as not having any money. On that note, I have an invisible jet for sale if you're interested; only 850,000$. It's a steal, plus you wont have to fly your tailors in the peasnt-like first-class!!!
bounce2.gif

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute

Your getting the English version of the John Gotti Brioni suits from the 80's

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics