• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Chicago tomorrow

ragdoll

Reaction score
Despite the Sartorialist's less than glowing recent review of Chicago fashion, I am visiting there tomorrow.

Has anyone been to their Filene's Basement stores recently to check on their latest merchandise?

Any new places to check out menswear outside of

Saks
Neiman's
George Greene
Morris Son's

jmatt

Reaction score
How much do you want to spend?

For superb clothes go to Morris & Sons (check their website for address & directions) Ask for Mike. Tell him Matt from Indy sent you.

Filene's on State Street had a couple of Zegna. Other than that - nothing remarkable. I just returned from a 3 day shopping trip in Chicago last Thursday through Saturday.

ragdoll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by charlief1975
There's also a Filene's on North Michigan Ave, accross from the Water Tower.
What part of town are you staying in..will help give you places. I love downtown...if you need tips on what to do let me know.

Guise:
http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/41641976
Was having some deals....you can also get a hair cut.

[/url]

Darn, I got my haircut on Tuesday!

I'll check out the Filene's on NMA. My brother is joining the faculty at DePaul and has bought a townhouse somewhere on the Northside so I was going to check it out.

I usually visit George Greene and Morris&Son's on my trips to Chicago but the Sartorialist post on Chicago made me think that I should spread out to Wicker Park or Bucktown beyond the usual NMA tourist areas.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for anything in particular?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I'll be in Chicago early next week with the gf. I'm looking for some decent places to eat. Nothing to fancy, just some good Chicago food. Something the locals would enjoy. Any recommendations?

BTW, we'll stay at the Congress hotel on Michigan Ave..

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Don't mean to derail the thread, but I'll be in Chicago early next week with the gf. I'm looking for some decent places to eat. Nothing to fancy, just some good Chicago food. Something the locals would enjoy. Any recommendations?

BTW, we'll stay at the Congress hotel on Michigan Ave..

=-I live downtown and have eaten everywhere many times as its part of my job: Hands down the BEST for traditional steak and seafood:
**I've eaten at Joe's over 200 times and gibson's probably 50.

#1:

Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab
http://www.icon.com/joes/Chicago_home.html
http://chicago.citysearch.com/profile/11342712/
The Scene
Big, loud and masculine, Joe's is a throwback to the days of the country-club restaurant--complete with a pompadour-coiffed, tuxedo-clad host.

#1 for the highest end of dining to compete in the world is:
Alinea
http://www.alinea-restaurant.com/
8, 12, 24 course tastings with wine/alcohol progressions. It's unbelieveable !

Heat has the best sushi but is in a very odd place

Capital Grill is not bad for a 2nd
then you have morton's, sullivans all pale in comparison's to JOE"S

Gibson's is a joke; all atmosphere but average steak and seafood. Tourist's think it's good and that's about it and paid reviewers lol

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ragdoll

Reaction score
Tomasso

I was trying to find some casual clothes from some newer hipper places than George Greene, Saks, Morris, etc (all of which I'm familiar with).

Soph

Thanks for the tip; maybe I'll take my brother to Joe's tomorrow night. Doubt I want to spend that kind of money on him @ Alinea :). Anyway, it would be throwing pearls before swine to go there, I think.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragdoll
Tomasso

I was trying to find some casual clothes from some newer hipper places than George Greene, Saks, Morris, etc (all of which I'm familiar with).

Soph

Thanks for the tip; maybe I'll take my brother to Joe's tomorrow night. Doubt I want to spend that kind of money on him @ Alinea :). Anyway, it would be throwing pearls before swine to go there, I think.

---Hipper...hmmm. I'd say try Barney's 2nd floor, they have all the fashion names in spades even dries van nortan, saks 2nd floor is the same. think yoox.com come to life.

Sak's has an excellent 3rd floor Kiton section.

Joe's: You have to get reservations for dinner they are packed even on weekdays, the locals know.
1. Get the Lobster bisque soup
2. 2nd mortgage app
3. Bone In filet is freaking amazing! with Jennie's potatoes
4. Crab if you like crab is their specialty Alaskan King is nuts.
5. Sugar Prawns
6. After dinner Key lime or the chocalte fudge ice cream thingy
7. cognac Extase XO---great after dinner
your done

charlief1975

Reaction score
Food wise:

I would start with the Park Grill at Millenium Park, it's very close to where you are staying.

Adobo Grill, in Old Town, great mexican food, and if you have a chance check out a show at Second City, attached to the same building Adobo.

I recommend Tea at the Ritz Cartlon at Water Tower...it's actually a Four Seasons hotel, but it's called the Ritz. Amazing hotel....I think it is actually the best hotel in the US.

While you are walking around michigan ave. check out the Motorola Store...it's in the west side of Michigan, near Eddie Bauer.

charlief1975

Reaction score
Darn, I got my haircut on Tuesday!

I'll check out the Filene's on NMA. My brother is joining the faculty at DePaul and has bought a townhouse somewhere on the Northside so I was going to check it out.

I usually visit George Greene and Morris&Son's on my trips to Chicago but the Sartorialist post on Chicago made me think that I should spread out to Wicker Park or Bucktown beyond the usual NMA tourist areas.

Wicker Park/Bucktown is always great. You Division street, there are a number of shops there. If you find something good please share, since I don't go around that area too often.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by charlief1975
Food wise:

I would start with the Park Grill at Millenium Park, it's very close to where you are staying.

Adobo Grill, in Old Town, great mexican food, and if you have a chance check out a show at Second City, attached to the same building Adobo.

I recommend Tea at the Ritz Cartlon at Water Tower...it's actually a Four Seasons hotel, but it's called the Ritz. Amazing hotel....I think it is actually the best hotel in the US.

While you are walking around michigan ave. check out the Motorola Store...it's in the west side of Michigan, near Eddie Bauer.

---Park Grill is standard to slightly above average fair, decent price, and nice when the weather is nice out. I have done lunch there.

Adobo Grill food is terrible in my view, however:
1. lots of well dressed women----lots--24 hr. Starbucks on steroids is right next to it
2. great drinks
3. killer guac. really good
However, their food sucks compared to other places.

If in old town go to
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/s...,2195093.venue
topo giogio
It feels like the mob runs it, and you are transported to hot, single women and italy and Da Mob.
Their ribs are great.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was trying to find some casual clothes from some newer hipper places than George Greene, Saks, Morris

Apartment Number 9
Scoop NYC
Jake

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads