1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting Chicago tomorrow

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ragdoll, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

SLIDERS! The Sliders at Gibsons are little Filet Mignon Sandwiches. They're actually very good.

I was at Rosebud on Rush tonight, had the Veal Piccatta, very good.

I need to get over and try Alinea, hear the service is the best, but there is a price tag to go along with it. I'm having a condo built not too far from there...need to get used to the area [​IMG]

--- Yes, the sliders/filet sandwiches are actually the best thing Gibson's does.

--- If you like Rosebud, there is much much much better, you're only as good as your competition. I consider Rosebud pretty average and nothing speical, it's like taylor street restaurants, all about the same except for Chez Joel on Taylor, this out of the way French place does an above average meal for a decent price. Tuscany, Francesa, Lavita, etc. are all average.

Chez Joel on Taylor is the hidden, non chain, special place for intriguing dining.

Topo Gigio and Dinatto's in old town on wells and north respectively do what Rosebud's can only dream of. And Topo on Thursday's has energy to spare. Bistrot Margo isn't bad either for mid ranged French. Best French is Ambria and Blackbird.

2. ragdoll

ragdoll Senior member

As the originator of this thread, I want to thank everyone for their insights. I got a lot more about restaurants than I expected!

I went to George Greene; I go there often on my visits and this time bought an Arnys jacket and a couple of shirts/ties. They sent several pantsuits from Barbera/Kiton for my wife to try on-- its her birthday.
    Tried Jake; the saleslady Natalia was cute and the store merchandise might have worked for me 20 years (and 20 lbs) ago. Today, I'd look like I was trying too hard.

Didn't have time to visit Chris. My son was insistent on seeing the Komodo dragon at the Shedd Aquarium. Neat place btw.

BUT, I spoke to Chris and we are starting on a suit since he had already measured me a couple of months ago. Thanks to Chuck Franke for recommending him. I am looking forward to returning in September for the trunk shows at Saks or GG and to have another fitting.

Perhaps, that might be a good time for a SF/AAAC get together. Soph, perhaps you could arrange since you OBVIOUSLY eat out every night. PM if you would like to do that.

3. Soph

Soph Senior member

As the originator of this thread, I want to thank everyone for their insights. I got a lot more about restaurants than I expected!

I went to George Greene; I go there often on my visits and this time bought an Arnys jacket and a couple of shirts/ties. They sent several pantsuits from Barbera/Kiton for my wife to try on-- its her birthday.
    Tried Jake; the saleslady Natalia was cute and the store merchandise might have worked for me 20 years (and 20 lbs) ago. Today, I'd look like I was trying too hard.

Didn't have time to visit Chris. My son was insistent on seeing the Komodo dragon at the Shedd Aquarium. Neat place btw.

BUT, I spoke to Chris and we are starting on a suit since he had already measured me a couple of months ago. Thanks to Chuck Franke for recommending him. I am looking forward to returning in September for the trunk shows at Saks or GG and to have another fitting.

Perhaps, that might be a good time for a SF/AAAC get together. Soph, perhaps you could arrange since you OBVIOUSLY eat out every night. PM if you would like to do that.

---What's funny is I only have a box of TriOPlex bars at home.

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

Just got back from Chicago. Thanks to Soph for the awesome recommendations. I went to Joe's for dinner and Frontera for lunch. At Joe's, I had the Bone in Fillet, asparagus, jennie's potatoes and some nice chianti. My gf had Crab Stuffed Sole and we shared the sides. For desert, we shared a keylime pie, which was the best I've had for some time. While my gf wasn't spectecularly impressed with the sole, I was in love with the bone in fillet. It was nicely charred on the outside while pink and juicy on the inside, perfectly done to my request. The service was unbeatable. We never felt rushed, and everything was done in the most discreet manner at the most unobtrusive time. We stopped in at the bar shortly before our reservation time (highly recommended) and I had a glass of chianti. So when we were ordering, I asked our waiter (Frank) to get me another glass when mine runs out. When I had about a sip left, another glass was unobtrusively placed on our table. I wish I had a bigger stomach so I could try more of their offerings. I've been to some really good steak houses, but Joe's has definitely outranked them all. I'm so jealous of you Chicagoans.

We went to Frontera for lunch the next day. While the experience wasn't as spectecular as Joe's, it was a very good lunch. I'm not particularly a big fan of Mexican food, but I really liked my Tacos al Cabon with duck. My gf, who is a big Mexican food fan, was very impressed with their Tamales. We also had some really good drinks (I forgot which). Oh, the Red Pepper hot sauce was phenomenon.

Overall, I was really impressed with our Chicago dining experiences. A return trip will no doubt happen when our schedules permit.

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

Just got back from Chicago. Thanks to Soph for the awesome recommendations. I went to Joe's for dinner and Frontera for lunch. At Joe's, I had the Bone in Fillet, asparagus, jennie's potatoes and some nice chianti. My gf had Crab Stuffed Sole and we shared the sides. For desert, we shared a keylime pie, which was the best I've had for some time. While my gf wasn't spectecularly impressed with the sole, I was in love with the bone in fillet. It was nicely charred on the outside while pink and juicy on the inside, perfectly done to my request. The service was unbeatable. We never felt rushed, and everything was done in the most discreet manner at the most unobtrusive time. We stopped in at the bar shortly before our reservation time (highly recommended) and I had a glass of chianti. So when we were ordering, I asked our waiter (Frank) to get me another glass when mine runs out. When I had about a sip left, another glass was unobtrusively placed on our table. I wish I had a bigger stomach so I could try more of their offerings. I've been to some really good steak houses, but Joe's has definitely outranked them all. I'm so jealous of you Chicagoans.

We went to Frontera for lunch the next day. While the experience wasn't as spectecular as Joe's, it was a very good lunch. I'm not particularly a big fan of Mexican food, but I really liked my Tacos al Cabon with duck. My gf, who is a big Mexican food fan, was very impressed with their Tamales. We also had some really good drinks (I forgot which). Oh, the Red Pepper hot sauce was phenomenon.

Overall, I was really impressed with our Chicago dining experiences. A return trip will no doubt happen when our schedules permit.

--- I'm telling ya man, The Bone in Filet at Joe's is simply UNBEATABLE![​IMG]