• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

oosterling

Reaction score
@nydiow

so the lens does not have a lighter part in the middle?

The lenses are (or is) full mirrored G31

Looking at the nose pads they could be 1960s!?

what exactly you would like to repair? just replace the lenses?
i think you should start with a good proper clean up. an untrasonic bath would do good.

to find a good set of full mirrored G31 lenses from that era would be hard. Full mirrored are i think anyway harder to find that DGM G31 lenses (Double Gradient Lenses), and still mostly you see them offered from the 80/90s.

So yeah, you could consider a nice pair of RB3 green lenses. I myself like the standard G15 (green/gray) the least. RB3 lenses would fit well and were common in the 60s.

But do you consider to do some work on the frame as well? i dont have experience with that but i think it will be hard. Polishing is not an option i think.
As your frame is LIC is will be probably gold plated as well although it does not say so under the bridge... anyway, i was thinking maybe gold plated frames have more change for polishing. But i think you will damage it more than doing any good. You could gold plated again but as far as i understood it does not hold well at all.

or just replace the lenses and enjoy them as how the are. seems you have some sentiments for them, so dont bother too much about their condition :)

nydiow

Reaction score
@nydiow

so the lens does not have a lighter part in the middle?

The lenses are (or is) full mirrored G31

Looking at the nose pads they could be 1960s!?

what exactly you would like to repair? just replace the lenses?
i think you should start with a good proper clean up. an untrasonic bath would do good.

to find a good set of full mirrored G31 lenses from that era would be hard. Full mirrored are i think anyway harder to find that DGM G31 lenses (Double Gradient Lenses), and still mostly you see them offered from the 80/90s.

So yeah, you could consider a nice pair of RB3 green lenses. I myself like the standard G15 (green/gray) the least. RB3 lenses would fit well and were common in the 60s.

But do you consider to do some work on the frame as well? i dont have experience with that but i think it will be hard. Polishing is not an option i think.
As your frame is LIC is will be probably gold plated as well although it does not say so under the bridge... anyway, i was thinking maybe gold plated frames have more change for polishing. But i think you will damage it more than doing any good. You could gold plated again but as far as i understood it does not hold well at all.

or just replace the lenses and enjoy them as how the are. seems you have some sentiments for them, so dont bother too much about their condition :)

Thanks for your amazing post.

Yes, you are correct, the lens does not have a lighter part in the middle, so, as far i understood, they are G31. Nose pads are really damaged as well. Id like to repair the frame first, its really bended some parts, so even if i got new G31 lens, problably they will crash after awhile. Then after unbend the Frame, replace the Nose pads and new lenses. About the Golden Color of the frame, if possible to recovery would be good, but isnt necessary.

The problem is, where i can do this?

Thanks again,

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
Real or fake? They seem real to me based on almost no knowledge
smile.gif

Thardin

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am a new member who just subscribed to get a little help.

I am usually an Oakley collector - but was helping my 84 yr old dad clean out his desk and ran across this old pair of RayBan Wayfarers.

They look to be from the 50's or 60's from what little I can find on them on this forum. They are stamped above the right lens 5022 and have only the Bausch and Lomb engraving on the inside of the earpieces. They do not say the name Rayban anywhere, and appear to have the original lenses (which are in very good shape!)

The size of the stems is given in inches: 4 3/4 to 51/2.

Questions:

1. Approximate age?
2. What do you look at to determine age on this model?
3. What value range do they fall within?
4. Is Ebay the best place to sell these?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Tom

bobtoto

Reaction score
hi iv'e just been given a pair ray ban wayfarer 2 sunglasses how on inspection they have markings on them i haven't seen be for on the outside of the arms at the bottom by the lenses they have USA and the olympic sign underneathe inside at the top of the left arm they have a ,what looks like a serail number W2245 YOAR and then on the bottom of the right inside arm they have B&l ray ban USA

oosterling

Reaction score
hi iv'e just been given a pair ray ban wayfarer 2 sunglasses how on inspection they have markings on them i haven't seen be for on the outside of the arms at the bottom by the lenses they have USA and the olympic sign underneathe inside at the top of the left arm they have a ,what looks like a serail number W2245 YOAR and then on the bottom of the right inside arm they have B&l ray ban USA

http://www.blujay.com/item/Vintage-Rayban-Olympic-Wayfarer-II-Sunglasses-6231000-3725316

??

Christiaanw

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I need some help.

A couple of years ago I lost the Ray Ban Caravan that I inherited form my grandfather, and ever since left a hole in my soul. I am not sure of the production year but I think it was quite old.

I have been trying to find a vintage Ray ban just the same but until today I have not found the exact same model.

The Caravans that I found are almost the same but always the angle of the corners and shape are just a little bit off.

Can someone here help me by identifying the exact number or find the same one?

I would be for ever in your debt. Included is a picture of me wearing the sunglasses.

Grt,

Christiaan

Rollz

Reaction score

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I need some help.

A couple of years ago I lost the Ray Ban Caravan that I inherited form my grandfather, and ever since left a hole in my soul. I am not sure of the production year but I think it was quite old.

I have been trying to find a vintage Ray ban just the same but until today I have not found the exact same model.

The Caravans that I found are almost the same but always the angle of the corners and shape are just a little bit off.

Can someone here help me by identifying the exact number or find the same one?

I would be for ever in your debt. Included is a picture of me wearing the sunglasses.

Grt,

Christiaan
Try searching for RB Explorer 62mm

wa27

Reaction score
I picked up these Aviators in an auction lot and I know nothing about their history. The top simply says "RAY-BAN" and the inside of each earpiece says "ARCO". The nose pieces are a kind of marbled-orange color. The ear pieces are bare metal and look kind of spiraled and discolored. I assume the case is original, and the leather on it is looking old and cracked but still flexible.

My questions: can anyone attempt to put a date on these? Based on the other stuff in the auction, they could have been WWII-era to 1970s. I'm guessing the curved earpieces are a good indicator but I can't find when they switched to a more modern earpiece with a slight curve.

What is ARCO? I can't find anything on the meaning.

Are the ear pieces supposed to have plastic over the ends? And if so, is it possible to get replacements?

Thardin

Reaction score

Hi Everyone! I am a new member who just subscribed to get a little help. I am usually an Oakley collector - but was helping my 84 yr old dad clean out his desk and ran across this old pair of RayBan Wayfarers. They look to be from the 50's or 60's from what little I can find on them on this forum. They are stamped above the right lens 5022 and have only the Bausch and Lomb engraving on the inside of the earpieces. They do not say the name Rayban anywhere, and appear to have the original lenses (which are in very good shape!) The size of the stems is given in inches: 4 3/4 to 51/2. Questions: 1. Approximate age? 2. What do you look at to determine age on this model? 3. What value range do they fall within? 4. Is Ebay the best place to sell these? Thanks for any help you can give! Tom
is there another forum where Ray-Ban fans post?

mikkigertrude

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here. My name is Mikki and I am in need of some help with a pair of Ray Bans I have.

[/IMG]
I am wondering if anyone can help me out with a pair of Ray Ban's that I recently found. I am trying to find information as to whether these are authentic and when they were produced. They are etched B & L RayBan U.S.A. and on the otherside they say Pierre Delon. These are a larger lens and a plastic frame. The numbers that follow the pierre delon are 890381-026. I cannot seem to find any information about these frames. I did find that Pierre delon made frames and was trademarked by a company in NY. Just can't pinpoint these frames anywhere. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

oosterling

Reaction score
@Thardin im not a Wayfarer expert. I think ive seen somewhere that Wayfarers with Bausch And Lomb written in full and in italic are the very first of this model.
What look strange to me are the temple. Maybe the first came with those temples. i dont know. Besides the shape the metal inserts look different.

so as for

1. Approximate age? 50 i would say
2. What do you look at to determine age on this model? lenses, engravement in the frame/temples
3. What value range do they fall within? no clue
4. Is Ebay the best place to sell these? always hard. Ebay can go very high depending on finding the right seller. The thing value of this kind of stuff is anyway very vague. Its whatever somone wants to pay for it :D

good luck. sorry i couldnt be more helpful

oosterling

Reaction score
I picked up these Aviators in an auction lot and I know nothing about their history. The top simply says "RAY-BAN" and the inside of each earpiece says "ARCO". The nose pieces are a kind of marbled-orange color. The ear pieces are bare metal and look kind of spiraled and discolored. I assume the case is original, and the leather on it is looking old and cracked but still flexible.

My questions: can anyone attempt to put a date on these? Based on the other stuff in the auction, they could have been WWII-era to 1970s. I'm guessing the curved earpieces are a good indicator but I can't find when they switched to a more modern earpiece with a slight curve.

What is ARCO? I can't find anything on the meaning.

Are the ear pieces supposed to have plastic over the ends? And if so, is it possible to get replacements?

@wa27 actually your best indications regarding era are:
lenses: no BL (started mid 70s) and Ray-Ban logo (started begin 80s) being etched
Engravement in the Bridge: RAY-BAN only, indicated to 50s as later it became B&L RAY-BAN U.S.A.
case: typically early 50s
Nose pads: Bakelite, indicates pre 70s
ARCO engravement: an early B&L designation for their 12k gold filled frames and stems

so 40s 50s i would say :)

as fort the coverage of the temples. the mostly came uncovered by my knowledge

enjoy

wa27

Reaction score
@wa27 actually your best indications regarding era are:
lenses: no BL (started mid 70s) and Ray-Ban logo (started begin 80s) being etched
Engravement in the Bridge: RAY-BAN only, indicated to 50s as later it became B&L RAY-BAN U.S.A.
case: typically early 50s
Nose pads: Bakelite, indicates pre 70s
ARCO engravement: an early B&L designation for their 12k gold filled frames and stems

so 40s 50s i would say :)

as fort the coverage of the temples. the mostly came uncovered by my knowledge

enjoy
Awesome, thanks for the insight! Knowing they're that old makes me hesitant to wear them, but I do like them and I'm not one who would spend $100 on another pair. Is it safe to bend the earpieces to make them fit looser (slightly "unroll" the temples so they're effectively longer)? These are so sung they hurt my nose and ears.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads