• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mmafia1

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I did not see any visible etching on the glass - is that good or bad? They are in very good condition less very slight discoloration on one spot on the gold colored metal frame over the glasses. No scratches as they have been in the case since for over 35 years.

It just shows that they are older than others. Bausch and Lomb didn't etch most of their lenses until the 70's so shows they are either 60's or early 70's, the case seems to point to that too. The fact they are in decent condition certainly adds to their value.

doggerel

Reaction score
American made B&L Ray-ban size 58 mm gold frame with G15 lenses.
I think they are also called B&L Ray-ban Large Metal Arista frame with G15 lenses.
I think they are the ones Tom Cruise wore in the 1986 movie "Top Gun".

oosterling

Reaction score
mmm tom cruise might have worn the 52 mm version. ive heard he is quite a small guy
rotflmao.gif
rotflmao.gif

oosterling

Reaction score

hi @LeatherBoot this seller we have discussed several times. i am convinced the guy is selling fakes or at least very doubtful pairs (like many many BL frames with Luxottica lenses, anyway, so many pairs for sale... i dont trust it) and therefore i would not buy from him...

what you do is up to you.

ps, that seller is really overpricing the items imho

Last edited:

LeatherBoot

Reaction score

hi @LeatherBoot this seller we have discussed several times. i am convinced the guy is selling fakes or at least very doubtful pairs (like many many BL frames with Luxottica lenses, anyway, so many pairs for sale... i dont trust it) and therefore i would not buy from him...

what you do is up to you.

ps, that seller is really overpricing the items imho

Is there anything on these glasses that indicates a fake (ignoring the suspicious volume he has)? If they are Luxottica lenses merely etched with "BL" are the optics going to be comparably worse than real BL lenses?

Yes the price is very high though he is willing to take about half of his asking. I saw vintage Signets in Isetan in Tokyo for 68,000 yen !

oosterling

Reaction score
well funny thing is that there is not one picture where i can see the etching... although there are clear close up pictures of other details.
the pictures of the bridge are strangely very unfocused while the arm and nose pad were no issue to get them sharp.
The nose pad...im not sure about. Yeah it does has BL...but some how im doubting. it seems to be wrong.. im not sure. maybe im getting to suspicious
marchal.gif

something i suspect this seller from is painting frames:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BAU...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and maybe someone can assist me in the next topic, as far as i know do only have the 90s models the 100% ultraviolet protection as on the sticker on the lens. yet this pair seems not to have the ray ban logo laser etching in the lens.

besides 52 mm might be small..?! but i dont know the signet model at all

LeatherBoot

Reaction score

well funny thing is that there is not one picture where i can see the etching... although there are clear close up pictures of other details.
the pictures of the bridge are strangely very unfocused while the arm and nose pad were no issue to get them sharp.
The nose pad...im not sure about. Yeah it does has BL...but some how im doubting. it seems to be wrong.. im not sure. maybe im getting to suspicious :marchal:

something i suspect this seller from is painting frames:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BAUSCH-amp-LOMB-RAY-BAN-BLUE-COLOR-COATED-G15-UV-GLASS-AVIATOR-SUNGLASSES-/331482603327?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=F%252BNaotAtjFu5aXH8gXAnhRczzYw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and maybe someone can assist me in the next topic, as far as i know do only have the 90s models the 100% ultraviolet protection as on the sticker on the lens. yet this pair seems not to have the ray ban logo laser etching in the lens.

besides 52 mm might be small..?! but i dont know the signet model at all

The listing says they are etched and I can see some signs of it being there in the last picture. I tried on this model in Japan and I liked it. It is small but that's what I need. I will take some pictures when I recieve them.

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
I will post pictures of them when I get them. I definitely agree they appear to be questionable. I took pictures of the ones I tried on in Isetan so I will compare.

doggerel

Reaction score
ever heard of ultragradient ambermatics?

they almost come for free:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ray...478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa5841eee
I've seen non-mirrored, full-mirrored and double gradient-mirrored Ambermatic but never seen top-gradient mirrored or ultra-gradient ones,
and I am sure I haven't seen them all.
But then why not? That would means a full line of products anyway.
However, from what I see from the comupter, the colour of the quoted lenses just don't look like amber, more like C. brown.
The tag is not saying ambermatic either. Just ultragradient.
The case is not an Ambermatic case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads