Vintage Ray Ban Expert

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musehead, May 12, 2013.

1. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

one more question actually

so there is ambermatic, changeables and ultragradient changeables (fantasees), but in some ads is see: super changeables....what might be the different?
    The description states that they darken more then normal changeables...

and what do we know about gradient changeables? Some/all fantasees have gradient lenses (although while googling i also see fantasees without gradient lenses...?!). Standard changeables are not have gradient... PM do have gradient changeables.
    I saw ads with gradient changeable lenses... often the BL etching is on its side.

So thats not really concrete, some one can clears this out?

2. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

@mmafia1 i agree, what is so strange is the amount of reviews and 100% positive (last year almost 3000 reviews, non are negative...). He/she is selling fake stuff, how can it be?

3. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

There's a few differences. Ambermatic change differently in light and heat, changeable darken to sun conditions and super changeables darken different in stronger lights. As far as I'm aware all fantasees are top gradient lenses.

[​IMG]

4. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

Yeah I know, there are definitely some fakes he is selling, just they are quite subtle fakes. Only people with decent knowledge would be able to tell I think, which is why he doesn't have any negatives.

5. jen8764

jen8764 Member

I can only compare it with w2104 model and they seem bigger.
    So I measured it in inches,just take a look at the pictures.
    Thanks again Jen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

thanks that explain a big part of it.
    still which stays unclear to me is the gradient changeables. are those always the super changeables or can the normal changeables also be gradient? and when is bl etching on its side used? ive the idea its the more special lenses which has that, no?

7. christmas2010

christmas2010 Active Member

Hi re the chromax sunglasses, I've taken an picture of the flash on mine so that it can be compared to the questionable pair. My pair also come with a black chromax case.[​IMG]

8. christmas2010

christmas2010 Active Member

Also here is a pic of the lettering on the Fantasees which I have. Lettering is all uniform.[​IMG]

9. milesdavisjr

milesdavisjr Well-Known Member

10. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

@oosterling sorry late reply.

I think - 'Changeables' are all constant density, no gradient, 'Ultragradient' are gradient lenses, which also darken at the same rate as changeables, and 'super changeables' are gradient lenses that darken more dramatically in different light conditions. Then 'Fantasees' are top gradient lenses that darken a lot quicker.

Think that makes sense, I may have confused myself!

Jack

11. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

thanks for explaining. although i think its ultragradient where you speak about the fantasees. top gradient TGM are as far as i know used in the driving series being the B15 TGM lenses.(not the chromax B20) isnt it?
    bl is all about confusion no? :p

12. mmafia1

mmafia1 Senior member

@oosterling Nah the fantasees are separate to the ultrgradients, a separate line. Yup TGM are on the "for driving" range, all B15 TGM. Youre right, BL confuses everything! Makes it very difficult!

13. oosterling

oosterling Senior member

ok and as for rarity..how rare are the super changeables? when were the produced amd until when? i think the ones i saw on the web were mostly etched sideways...

14. Shooter5678

Shooter5678 New Member

Hello oosterling!

I have a pair of 62mm changeables that I bought new in '95. The problem is that, many years ago, I broke the LH temple and put them away. Now I'm having a very hard time finding replacement parts. Can you point me in the direction of a good place to get parts?

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

15. ayen

ayen New Member

Hello. I have a pair of B&L Ray Ban sunglasses. I would really like to find out if it is authentic. There is an engraved B&L Ray-Ban USA on the top bar, and B&L Ray-Ban 62014 right underneath it. There is also a BL mark on each lens. Thank you! Your help is greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015