• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early 1960s era Florsheim alligator split-toe.

IMG_2153.jpeg

IMG_2152.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
93606 today…
IMG_4981.jpeg

_cameosis_

Reaction score

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d like your guru’s advice. Do I need to keep conditioning these shoes? These creases appeared after one wear. I knew that would happen as it conforms to my foot, but what concerns me is the coloring or dryness in the creases. This is my first shell and vintage shoe so it is new territory for me.

IMG_2278.jpeg
IMG_2279.jpeg
IMG_2280.jpeg
IMG_2281.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d like your guru’s advice. Do I need to keep conditioning these shoes? These creases appeared after one wear. I knew that would happen as it conforms to my foot, but what concerns me is the coloring or dryness in the creases. This is my first shell and vintage shoe so it is new territory for me.

View attachment 2064797 View attachment 2064799 View attachment 2064801 View attachment 2064803

I would condition the folds. Good brushing out first and then rub conditioner into the dry areas. No need to do it over the entire shoe.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy WTW forum pals.

IMG_3437.jpg

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2064797 View attachment 2064799 View attachment 2064801 View attachment 2064803
When I see this level of dryness in shell, I use a couple coats of neetsfoot oil -- one full coat, and another coat focused on the dry areas. I find it works well for deep conditioning. YMMV.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I see this level of dryness in shell, I use a couple coats of neetsfoot oil -- one full coat, and another coat focused on the dry areas. I find it works well for deep conditioning. YMMV.
Does that work after bick4? I had already done 3 or 4 rounds.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on neatsfoot oil, it will help with the dry spots you're seeing. It's very economical too. I rub it in the dry spots with my thumb and warm the shoes up to help with the absorption. The bottle I have is by Lexol and it says non-darkening, but I'm not sure how important that is on dark colored shell. What you're trying to do is replace the fats that Horween puts in their soaking process that have gotten squeezed out over time in the folds.
Horween's shell manufacturing process

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, vintage pals. I was fortunate enough to score some more Hanover LB Sheppard 2312s in the elusive 10 eee.

There is a stamp on the sole that I am not familiar with (and I don’t see it on any of my other Hanovers). I don’t think these have been re-soled, either.

As usual, I defer to the brain trust; I would appreciate your help.

IMG_2649.jpeg
IMG_2650.jpeg
IMG_2651.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads