• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather than a clue, I think that was an actual $50 prize that no one has claimed yet. Go for it!

It's been claimed. Don't get me wrong, I love getting free gifts, especially shoes from Gaziano and Girling. But I don't have the time to sift through hundreds of thousands of SF pages.

I'd rather save up my money to buy the item.

No judgement on those who spent their Easter weekend hunting for these SF eggs.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a maintenence question.
When you do the deer bone treatment on your shell leather shoes how long does it usually last (# of wears) before you have to do it again? Just trying to get an idea as I would imagine those bumps and ripples do eventually reappear.
Thanks.

I have never used deer bone. But from what I've read, the ripples will eventually return. Even for two pairs that I had recrafted, they initially looked like new, with the ripples flattened out.

Within a few wears, they came back.

If others have a more positive experience, I can always be converted.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1164280 What do you call this style of shoe? The stitching around the vamp: I’m not sure if I like it.

It’s a Hartt shoe from @mariusscott ’s Etsy page. Pretty.

I used to think I wouldn't like LWBs. They now occupy over 80% of my collection.

I used to think PTBs are boring and too casual. I now have 9 pairs.

Buy them, and see how you feel later. Having different styles gives you some flexibility for any situation - whether you're going for a job interview, or first date with a super model.

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never used deer bone. But from what I've read, the ripples will eventually return. Even for two pairs that I had recrafted, they initially looked like new, with the ripples flattened out.

Within a few wears, they came back.

If others have a more positive experience, I can always be converted.
Spoon+Conditioner
Same results without having to keep a greasy deer bone bagged up with your shoe maintenance gear. If you REALLY want to try a deer bone I can send you one in October when bow season opens.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoon+Conditioner
Same results without having to keep a greasy deer bone bagged up with your shoe maintenance gear. If you REALLY want to try a deer bone I can send you one in October when bow season opens.

You just opened up a new door. Now everyone will be asking you for deer bone.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day off. A bunch of errands to run.

Here is my 3rd pair of 93605 which is the lightest in tone.

I also put in a thicker round lace to give it a different look.

Wishing the thread pals a great week.

B9553989-A5B3-4C27-B3F2-A1B895B79693.jpeg

A4CC5C67-A1EF-449E-BAB5-EC1C85992869.jpeg

A43B050E-411C-4885-AA6C-B9FD47515934.jpeg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Easter, gentleman!

May I share with you Canada's work at its finest, the circa 1950s Jack McHale 85306 boss gunboat!

Tipping the scales at approximately 1.4kg, these 7.5Ds feature sumptuous full brogue short wing leather uppers, 360 deg gold storm welt, enormously wide triple soles, leather lining, and trim around the sock liner. Resplendent even to the pavement with 10 shining brass forefoot nails and a further 50 heel nails, plus the original price tag ($150) from Cheslers who have been in business in southern Ontario since the 1940s. Worn by such luminaries as our own @davidVC , @lbgradwell ,and big in Japan, these gently used examples have the earlier "John McHale" signature inside, and take place of pride on my side table this weekend. Enjoy!

View attachment 1163958 View attachment 1163963 View attachment 1163964 View attachment 1163962 View attachment 1163960 View attachment 1163961

View attachment 1163959
Those are great!

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just opened up a new door. Now everyone will be asking you for deer bone.

I'd be happy with a couple of steaks! Deer steak and Kraft Dinner fueled me through uni.

Here is my 3rd pair of 93605 which is the lightest in tone.

I don't know your others by memory, but I really like this colour.

Those are great!
Wow...wow...
Wow

Sums my thoughts up too.

thank you, thank you!

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You nailed it, it’s in the Fall 1990 catalog, it’s the 5147 in brown.
View attachment 1164192
I know many of you already know this, but for those new to the thread: anything ~74 to 2006 has a date code that is structured as follows: day of week, week of year, last digit of year. So, a pair made on December 14, 1981 would have a code of 1511, usually printed to the right of the style and sizing info, as seen in these 81 Boulevards:
s-l1600.jpg

This date code, in combo with the published catalogs and generally understood era specific branding and construction details, allows for accurate dating between ~73 and 2006 (they phased out the codes sometime in 2007-2008), even with only a single digit for the year.

This also allows for identifying stuff on either side of those dates, though we start relying more on construction and branding details (for example, sole shape, welt details, branding, colors).

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoon+Conditioner
Note: the bone he sends you will have been beautifully converted to a suede finish and purple in color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads