• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raneleigh

Reaction score
Hey guys: I'm looking for some advice. I'm in the market for some boots. I started off checking out wolverine, red wings, etc and then moved up to Alden's various lines. Then I came across viberg. $700 seems pretty steep for boots but I know that with the price comes a high degree of quality. I also know that Alden also produces some high quality boots so my question for you all is why go for a pair of vibergs when a pair of Alden's can be $100 to $200 cheaper? Is it the viberg aesthetic? Is it something else? TIA

I have owned many pairs of both and if I had to explain the difference, I'd say that Alden's are like Cadillac's and Viberg's are like Bentley's. Both make nice boots, but the quality difference is apparent the very minute you hold them or compare them side by side. Viberg's are much more substantial, heavier, higher quality. I have found Alden's quality to be questionable these days. I ordered 4 pairs of Indy boots and had to send them all back for obvious flaws in stitching and construction. I'm pretty easy going - not too picky generally, but these were unacceptable at any price point and 4 out of 4...that's incredible to me. Quality control on their shoes seem to be much better than on their boots for some reason. Also, collaborations seem to have more attention to detail than their regular lines. On the other hand...I have owned at least 20 pairs of Viberg's over the past few years and every single pair was perfect. I know that there are some scattered complaints about quality written here, but I have never experienced any issues myself. As a side note, I do wonder if the increased demand on Viberg will result in more quality issues, but for now I can't say I've witnessed any.

I started out with Red Wings and eventually moved on to Alden's. From there I moved on to White's and from there to Viberg's. It has been hard for me to go back - I only want to wear Viberg's now and all the other brands that I own seem to sit in the closet. I do wear my White's occasionally and I will say...that company does amaze me. I can put in a custom order and within a month or two, they arrive at my doorstep. They are consistent in their delivery and consistent in their quality. They have a much larger operation than Viberg, but you'd be hard pressed to beat their efficiency and the ability to order a quality pair of boots to your specifications at that price point and in that delivery window. Still, I prefer Viberg and strongly believe that they are the best boots you can buy at any price point.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys: I'm looking for some advice. I'm in the market for some boots. I started off checking out wolverine, red wings, etc and then moved up to Alden's various lines. Then I came across viberg. $700 seems pretty steep for boots but I know that with the price comes a high degree of quality. I also know that Alden also produces some high quality boots so my question for you all is why go for a pair of vibergs when a pair of Alden's can be $100 to $200 cheaper? Is it the viberg aesthetic? Is it something else? TIA

If I was looking for a mid-priced pair of boots right now, I would be checking out Truman Boot Co, or else Thorogood's Beloit boot (the black horsehide esp looks very cool). Truman quality seems, based on pics at least, close to Viberg, though far fewer options.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all!

lina, I will check those out.

Raneleigh - That is great information, thanks.

I love the brown/coffee shade that Viberg currently has on their site. I think that would be my initial purchase.

http://viberg.com/collections/footwear/products/service-boot-coffee-chromepack

I also love the brown waxed flesh that is currently on the Notre site. Can someone give me what the high level difference between these two is?

http://www.notre-shop.com/collections/viberg-boots/products/service-boot-in-brown-waxed-flesh

gsgleason

Reaction score

Thanks, all!

lina, I will check those out.

Raneleigh - That is great information, thanks.

I love the brown/coffee shade that Viberg currently has on their site. I think that would be my initial purchase.

http://viberg.com/collections/footwear/products/service-boot-coffee-chromepack

I also love the brown waxed flesh that is currently on the Notre site. Can someone give me what the high level difference between these two is?

http://www.notre-shop.com/collections/viberg-boots/products/service-boot-in-brown-waxed-flesh

Waxed flesh is thick, roughout CXL that has been waxed on the flesh side at the tannery.

Chromepak is similar to normal CXL, but is more oily and has a much more matte appearance, and scuffs seem to rub out easier.

I have both and actually think the brown waxed flesh is cooler, but it's much more stiff. I also like that the waxed flesh doesn't really crease (rough-out generally doesn't), but gets rolls.

Both have good return policies, so as long as you don't wear them outside or excessively try them on, you can return them.

Both are on the 2030 last, but I found the chromepak to be tighter in the toe box for some reason.

That last is also pretty narrow in the toes. The almond shape makes it hard to fit.

If you're interested I can put them next to each other and get some pics so you can see them side-by-side.

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on a Zug Viberg with cap toe or PCT?

@LA Guy

Any idea if Viberg can source this leather? Seems like C&J is able to get enough for a sizable GMTO going on right now.

skenney

Reaction score
If I can only buy only one pair of Vibergs, at least for now, what makeup would you suggest?

Which material/ color/ last combination would offer the best versatility?

Thanks

Aviv

Reaction score
If I can only buy only one pair of Vibergs, at least for now, what makeup would you suggest?

Thanks

CXL service boot on dainite. Fades beautifully, buffs real nice with a horsehair brush, and the rubber soles are good for most applications. I would get brown because I personally think it takes the best patina (Color 8 is too red and black is, well, black).

With that said - I would not buy the welted version. Try and find a stockist doing them with stitch down or wait until Viberg makes them if/when they do.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Thanks 

Well, I'd pick one on the last that fits me best, which varies per person. 2030 is the sleekest, most stylish, IMO, but doesn't necessarily fit human feet very well. I really like the fit of 1035, and the current bison looks awesome; I can't wait for mine to come in.

As far as as your question, what is your typical environment?

skenney

Reaction score
Well, I'm studying abroad this summer for a month, and also this fall for 3 more months. Both will be in a city environment, so I'll be walking everywhere.

So I guess durability will be key.

Any idea on the comparison in durability, for various leathers/ materials?

gsgleason

Reaction score

How does CXL Compare to Latigo?

Is one more matte than the other?

How bout durability?

Latigo is a lot more flat (less depth) in color to me than CXL, but it's probably not going to have the loose grain issues that CXL has. I ordered and returned the ebony latigo 1035 boot from standard and strange, and now I wish I had kept them. People claim Latigo is very durable.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffee_and_vodka