• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theorocks

Reaction score
awesome summer picking mine up tomorrow are you wearing 634s with them in the pic? just wondering how the opening looks with the boots

neelp3

Reaction score
very nice, did you hem them yourself or taper? I need to get me a sewing machine to do my own alterations. cant imagine a more relaxing evening than with beer and music and sharp needles
I did both the hem and taper. I wouldn't exactly say relaxing, but enjoyable and extremely satisfying for sure.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I did both the hem and taper.  I wouldn't exactly say relaxing, but enjoyable and extremely satisfying for sure.

I just hemmed a pair of chinos tonight. Not quite relaxing. Enjoyable and satisfying, yes.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're not getting enough of the booze onto the trousers!

Last edited:

Arizor

Reaction score
Neelp3 - lovely boots, if you're getting heel slippage try proper boot socks, they tend to have much more grip and of course a thicker heel.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just hemmed a pair of chinos tonight. Not quite relaxing. Enjoyable and satisfying, yes.

Did you create a video?
1f604.png

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No. Should I have?? haha

Warning, thread jack. I should look for a how-to video. I'd like to be able to do fairly simple things myself like hemming and shortening sleeves, etc. I have a sewing machine that my mother-in-law had that I could learn on.

Was it hard to learn?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Warning, thread jack. I should look for a how-to video. I'd like to be able to do fairly simple things myself like hemming and shortening sleeves, etc. I have a sewing machine that my mother-in-law had that I could learn on.

Was it hard to learn?

I don't think so, no. I'm still learning, but I found it relatively simple to hem some trousers. The measuring, folding, pinning, measuring, trying on and measuring then cutting is the most time consuming for me. I only spent 15min, maybe, actually sewing.

I like knowing that everytime I buy trousers I don't have to factor in $18 to have them hemmed and wait a week to get them back.

Last edited:

Diabolical

Reaction score

Was it hard to learn?
Hemming is relatively easy. Preparation takes the most amount of time. You need to measure, cut, iron, maybe remove some previous stitches and when that's all said and done, you sew and that might take you a minute. Shortening sleeves and tapering pants is more difficult. If you want to taper a pair of pants that has a flat felled seam, you would have to remove the stitching from both sides. It's very time consuming and usually not worth it.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Hemming is relatively easy. Preparation takes the most amount of time. You need to measure, cut, iron, maybe remove some previous stitches and when that's all said and done, you sew and that might take you a minute. Shortening sleeves and tapering pants is more difficult. If you want to taper a pair of pants that has a flat felled seam, you would have to remove the stitching from both sides. It's very time consuming and usually not worth it.

My next goal is to be able to shorten jacket sleeves. I plan to stick with it and be able to make clothes. Hopefully in a couple years I'll be able to make something half decent enough to wear! haha

Diabolical

Reaction score
My next goal is to be able to shorten jacket sleeves. I plan to stick with it and be able to make clothes. Hopefully in a couple years I'll be able to make something half decent enough to wear! haha
Are you planning to shorten them from the shoulders or from the cuffs?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mercydcom