• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Fenners81

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what Dubbin to purchase in the UK market for treating C&J roughout leather? I dont see how a product such as A (£3.75) can be much different to a product such as B (£15) given that its just dubbin wax?
You're probably right, although I swallowed the marketing BS and went for the Saphir medaille d'or. It works great but then so might the cheap stuff.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Saphir’s Everest Vegetable dubbin works fine and is cheaper. Use a really small amount, it spreads well the more it warms up from your fingers. Just keep moving it outwards. You’ll be surprised how far it will go.
Comes in at £11. Interesting. Thanks. Its possible that the more you pay the better the concentration of the dubbin wax. There is also the Hoggs of Fife Dubbin at £3.95

Fenners81

Reaction score
Comes in at £11. Interesting. Thanks. Its possible that the more you pay the better the concentration of the dubbin wax. There is also the Hoggs of Fife Dubbin at £3.95
To be honest, you need to apply so little and so infrequently that you may as well just get the best one in my view. I only have two pairs of roughouts so I expect that £15 tub to last for years. I wear regularly and only need to reapply once every 3-4 months. Moreover, you only apply a miniscule amount with your finger.

Last edited:

Shoemog

Reaction score
Try using a vpn or a private window.
Or eu.crockettandjones.com.
Anyway, they show 560 euros for suede to 630 euros for country calf.
yeah that works.

pricing seems about the same but you get 20% off with tax. range isn't as extensive esp ladies but you have 3 stores which arent a million miles away from each other (good way to see the areas ...plus can compare with French JM Weston ...which by comparison is much more friendly vs jermyn st store)

the staff there having said that are a little funny compared with Jermyn street lot.
I went to get the chukka Paris edition but there was a mistake on the website ....in terms of length of time offer was available. simple shrug of shoulder was all I got! :-X

Shoemog

Reaction score
Had my few year’s old Skye 3 back to C&J for a resole from double leather to dainite as I found I didn’t tend to wear them much in wet weather and I wear through the toe area quickly (even with a rubber toe piece added).

They have done a beautiful job.

Interesting to see how they take on a slightly more rugged persona with the rubber soles.

View attachment 2187549

View attachment 2187551

View attachment 2187553

View attachment 2187559
looks amazing ....how come you didnt go with ridgeway out of interest? (or even vibram lite) finding dainites v heavy (although they were what I favoured when buying new ...just because of rain)

T1mb0

Reaction score
looks amazing ....how come you didnt go with ridgeway out of interest? (or even vibram lite) finding dainites v heavy (although they were what I favoured when buying new ...just because of rain)
Thank you

To be honest I have Dainite on a number of shoes&boots and have no complaints with them so thought I’d just go with the same for these. They’re a reasonably dressy boot too so thought the dainite would be a good match. I have some Islay boots that I would definitely consider Ridgeway for when the time comes (probably 5-10 years from now based on current rotation 😁)

Last edited:

shoefan57

Reaction score
Saphir’s Everest Vegetable dubbin works fine and is cheaper. Use a really small amount, it spreads well the more it warms up from your fingers. Just keep moving it outwards. You’ll be surprised how far it will go.
I’ve read that there are two kinds; one is heavier than the other. The Saphir Dubbin is meant to be a finer product for use on Roughout suede whilst heavier products, yellow in colour, are designed for hiking /work boots.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Thank you

To be honest I have Dainite on a number of shoes&boots and have no complaints with them so thought I’d just go with the same for these. They’re a reasonably dressy boot too so thought the dainite would be a good match. I have some Islay boots that I would definitely consider Ridgeway for when the time comes (probably 5-10 years from now based on current rotation 😁)
Did they come back tighter in the width? I once had that problem and had to send them for stretching following a C&J repair.

T1mb0

Reaction score
Did they come back tighter in the width? I once had that problem and had to send them for stretching following a C&J repair.
Funny you mention that as I did notice one foot has come back slightly tight in the width. I’ve been wearing them all day today (in the rain!) and been on my feet including a commute into central London, walk to the office etc and no significant discomfort so I think although it is slightly tight it’ll be ok.

Did you go from leather to rubber for yours or like for like?

shoefan57

Reaction score
Funny you mention that as I did notice one foot has come back slightly tight in the width. I’ve been wearing them all day today (in the rain!) and been on my feet including a commute into central London, walk to the office etc and no significant discomfort so I think although it is slightly tight it’ll be ok.

Did you go from leather to rubber for yours or like for like?
Leather to City Sole

Shoemog

Reaction score
yes i am thinking city sole for all of my leather non boots! only issue if you have the fiddle back /beveled waist...i don't think the rubber sole accommodates it and then you loose the snug arch support.

Shoemog

Reaction score
I’ve read that there are two kinds; one is heavier than the other. The Saphir Dubbin is meant to be a finer product for use on Roughout suede whilst heavier products, yellow in colour, are designed for hiking /work boots.
yes true. It does seem a little heavier (just got my yellow one through the post). you COULD defo use it but only a small amount more for the other stuff.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Thank you

I like Danite soles too as well as Ridgeway. I think it’s “horses for courses”. The reason shoes often return from a factory repair tighter is that they always replace the welts (Edward Green is an exception -only replacing welts when needed). The factory tightens the uppers round the last to give a fresh area of leather to stitch into. Cobblers will often stitch into the existing holes and so don’t need to tighten shoes.

shoefan57

Reaction score
yes i am thinking city sole for all of my leather non boots! only issue if you have the fiddle back /beveled waist...i don't think the rubber sole accommodates it and then you loose the snug arch support.
That’s right - and I love the leather soles on Handgrade line. For that reason I will have my Handgrade shoes resoled with leather.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78