• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is shrunken kudu. Totally different qualities.
Ahh so my kudu is sanforized and the shrunken is unsanforized one wash? Gotchya!

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2055 Service boots, the last Tochigi, and the two 145 oxfords were moved to last call sale at S&S:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have the 2055 boots from S&S? Do they fit just like the 2045?

The most recent Shelby Sharp on the 2055 (olive shinki) from DR supposedly fits more like the 2030/1035 (ie, half size down) vs the DR 2055 natty horsebutt boondocker from last Spring, which is supposed to fit like the 2045 (full size down).

I would jump on one of the S&S models, but final sale and don't want a sizing mistake.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the 2055 boots from S&S? Do they fit just like the 2045?

The most recent Shelby Sharp on the 2055 (olive shinki) from DR supposedly fits more like the 2030/1035 (ie, half size down) vs the DR 2055 natty horsebutt boondocker from last Spring, which is supposed to fit like the 2045 (full size down).

I would jump on one of the S&S models, but final sale and don't want a sizing mistake.
Isn't 2055 just a flat toe 2045? Besides less vertical room, it should be the same sizing isn't it?

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't 2055 just a flat toe 2045? Besides less vertical room, it should be the same sizing isn't it?
Yes, in theory. But my understanding is the 2055 Olive Shinki DRs made up a little smaller and the fit was more akin to 2030 (half vs full size down). This is all ymmv and I have never tried the 2055, but I have 2045, 2030, etc.

Once 3sixteen clears its remaining inventory, I am not sure there will be a single Viberg stockist left in my large city. Sukks because I prefer to try on and buy in person regardless if I have experience with a particular last.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, in theory. But my understanding is the 2055 Olive Shinki DRs made up a little smaller and the fit was more akin to 2030 (half vs full size down). This is all ymmv and I have never tried the 2055, but I have 2045, 2030, etc.

Once 3sixteen clears its remaining inventory, I am not sure there will be a single Viberg stockist left in my large city. Sukks because I prefer to try on and buy in person regardless if I have experience with a particular last.
These are definitely an older 2055 build. I think these are from 2019? Considering I live about 30m from Horween, there is about nothing in general when it comes to stockists here.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are definitely an older 2055 build. I think these are from 2019? Considering I live about 30m from Horween, there is about nothing in general when it comes to stockists here.

Nah, these were all restocked Summer 2020. I had a pair of the charcoals.

Keep in mind the Olive Shinkis are GYW which may have some impact on the fit

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh so my kudu is sanforized and the shrunken is unsanforized one wash? Gotchya!
totally!

1617990085570.jpeg

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Kudu, but it is almost too stretchy over time. They're damn beautiful though.
I had a pair of kudu derbies made by another shoe maker and they stretched so bad I got rid of them. This shrunken kudu looks nice though and if it behaves differently, is interesting.

caffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of kudu derbies made by another shoe maker and they stretched so bad I got rid of them. This shrunken kudu looks nice though and if it behaves differently, is interesting.
I got my pair from a friend so I was able to inspect first hand before buying. The leather is shrunken as part of the tanning process so it is more dense and has tighter pores than regular kudu. Also these are fully lined. It really behaves closer to horsehide than kudu. Personally, I like them. However, if I hadn’t purchased them at a discount I may not have gotten them. It’s not like this makeup is *super* unique.

WatchesCars

Reaction score

in what ways did they stretch? I have had kudu derbies before too, the lacing area stretched and the lacing opening got closer with time but the shoe itself always fit them same, like the footbed or last of the shoe didnt feel any larger with time.

WeatheredHide

Reaction score
in what ways did they stretch? I have had kudu derbies before too, the lacing area stretched and the lacing opening got closer with time but the shoe itself always fit them same, like the footbed or last of the shoe didnt feel any larger with time.

I've got the peanut kudu and beaver fur kudu service boots, and neither has stretched any more than most of my other boots. I should note that the beaver fur kudu is a shrunken grain tannage. (The peanut kudu is a waxed tannage.)

However, if I hadn’t purchased them at a discount I may not have gotten them. It’s not like this makeup is *super* unique.

That's what I want right now. Super unique. I wish they'd done something more audacious with that bit of Shinki Color 2 brown they procured.

One of the makeups I most regret not pulling the trigger on is this shell Scout:

1617998260476.png

As I recall, the reactions to that one were quite mixed upon its announcement. I have to admit I didn't know what to make of it at first. Then it passed, and I still regret missing that one to this day.

That's why when my size reappeared on Division Road for the Shinki olive latigo horsehide officer boot, I jumped on that very green round-toed makeup. I can't say I've seen much like that pattern, especially from Viberg.

At this point, my rotation is silly, and I've got preorders and customs coming in due time. So I'm trying to be more picky now, keeping my eye out for more spunky styles.

Crizzlelovesyou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got the peanut kudu and beaver fur kudu service boots, and neither has stretched any more than most of my other boots. I should note that the beaver fur kudu is a shrunken grain tannage. (The peanut kudu is a waxed tannage.)

That's what I want right now. Super unique. I wish they'd done something more audacious with that bit of Shinki Color 2 brown they procured.

One of the makeups I most regret not pulling the trigger on is this shell Scout:

View attachment 1590346

As I recall, the reactions to that one were quite mixed upon its announcement. I have to admit I didn't know what to make of it at first. Then it passed, and I still regret missing that one to this day.

That's why when my size reappeared on Division Road for the Shinki olive latigo horsehide officer boot, I jumped on that very green round-toed makeup. I can't say I've seen much like that pattern, especially from Viberg.

At this point, my rotation is silly, and I've got preorders and customs coming in due time. So I'm trying to be more picky now, keeping my eye out for more spunky styles.
2 tone shell is cool, but I'm just not into scout boots.

As far as kudu goes, the facings get closer over time for me as well, but also in ~half my footwear I get a little indent/bump protruding from the pinky toe side since my toes are a little splayed and Kudu formed the bump within like 3 wears. CXL takes about 3 months before it starts doing that for me.

Chrikelnel

Reaction score

View attachment 1590346

I love that 2 tone shell as well but I’ve always wondered how it’s going to look when the natty shell darkens

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads