• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Various ethnic foods you love, that others may be hesitant to try.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
You're asian and you don't like scallions? I'm actually really interested to know what this is about. We all have some food hangups that are often triggered by things that happened earlier in our lives. What is it about scallions that grosses you out?
Durian. Most people can't even get near it. I've recently grown to appreciate it.
I ******* heart durian. I have a portion frozen in my fridge right now. Maybe tomorrow...when I'm less stuffed. As for the scallion, for as long as I could remember, I've always had a gag reflex with it--but only with the raw form though. I do like food cooked with scallion, but I just don't eat the scallion itself. Raw scallion isn't gross to me, either; only its chemical composition triggers my sense of smell and taste in a violent way. Not sure why. I actually would like to be able to eat raw scallion, as I think many dishes taste better with it; but I just can't.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I ******* heart durian. I have a portion frozen in my fridge right now. Maybe tomorrow...when I'm less stuffed.

As for the scallion, for as long as I could remember, I've always had a gag reflex with it--but only with the raw form though. I do like food cooked with scallion, but I just don't eat the scallion itself. Raw scallion isn't gross to me, either; only its chemical composition triggers my sense of smell and taste in a violent way. Not sure why. I actually would like to be able to eat raw scallion, as I think many dishes taste better with it; but I just can't.

Do you have problems with other types of onion? Can you eat raw garlic?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've never come across durian. Looking forward to my first experience. I figure it's got to be like some really rancid blue cheese, that off gases in your mouth as you try and chew it.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have problems with other types of onion? Can you eat raw garlic?

If you see how much garlic I eat, you'd never kiss me. I like garlic in all forms. Other onions, I enjoy a small dose in raw form (like in a salad, or on a burger, for examples); I actually like cooked onion. Onion rings and beer? Fuggedaboutit!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've never come across durian. Looking forward to my first experience. I figure it's got to be like some really rancid blue cheese, that off gases in your mouth as you try and chew it.
For your first time, you might want to try a small dose, like in ice cream, or the defrosted frozen variety first; they're less pungent. But that said, fresh durian is orgasmic. It's closer to sex than blue cheese, IMO.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can handle durian in ice cream, but it kicks ****** if fresh.

I tried stinky tofu when I was in Hong Kong 3 years ago on a bet. I lost $100. I couldn't even get down a bite.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think we're moving away form the OP though. I mean, there's "ethnic foods" as the OP asks about, and then there's things that even many people within that ethnicity won't eat.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have no idea what "ethnic" food is. It is pretty much everything; European food to me is "ethnic". However, I just remembered this one dish I absolutely loved.

I spent Christmas at my roommate's house in Poland while I was studying in France. If I recall correctly, meat is not served at Christmas Eve dinner. The mushroom pierogis were good, but my favorite dish was this cold carp jelly dish. It may have had tomatoes? I seriously ate so much of that, which amazed my roommate's family because no one really liked it; it was just a traditional dish that was made every year.

Also the blood sausages of Poland were amazing; better than the ones I had in Germany. Also their beet sauerkraut-like garnish is great, but I love beets.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we're moving away form the OP though. I mean, there's "ethnic foods" as the OP asks about, and then there's things that even many people within that ethnicity won't eat.

Who's to say that all the people from the same ethnic group have the same taste buds?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Who's to say that all the people from the same ethnic group have the same taste buds?

Of course they don't all have the same taste buds, but that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is there's a difference between sushi, a distinctly ethnic food, and then there's eating frog sashimi, including the still beating heart.

Or take eating dog in the Philippines. I've known hundreds of people born there, and not a one of them think dog is appetizing...but eating dog is certainly an ethnic food.

See what I'm saying? I'm saying I eat most sushi (I'm not a fan of extra masago on the outside of the roll) but many folks find any sashimi gross (look at the G33ks response...okay, not a good gauge but still). However, I'm willing to bet most Japanese and people of Japanese ethnicity, are not fans of beating heart frog sashimi.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course they don't all have the same taste buds, but that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is there's a difference between sushi, a distinctly ethnic food, and then there's eating frog sashimi, including the still beating heart.

Or take eating dog in the Philippines. I've known hundreds of people born there, and not a one of them think dog is appetizing...but eating dog is certainly an ethnic food.

See what I'm saying? I'm saying I eat most sushi (I'm not a fan of extra masago on the outside of the roll) but many folks find any sashimi gross (look at the G33ks response...okay, not a good gauge but still). However, I'm willing to bet most Japanese and people of Japanese ethnicity, are not fans of beating heart frog sashimi.

My opinion is the only one that matters.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
To be honest, I have no idea what "ethnic" food is. It is pretty much everything; European food to me is "ethnic".

precisely. everyone in the world belongs to one ethnicity or another, therefore, all foods are ethnic foods.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your first time, you might want to try a small dose, like in ice cream, or the defrosted frozen variety first; they're less pungent. But that said, fresh durian is orgasmic. It's closer to sex than blue cheese, IMO.

I tried durian in Hong Kong once. I ended up gagging on the first bite and threw the entire thing away. But as it stank up my room horribly, I put it out in the trash can in the elevator lobby. The next day I could see that the entire area around it had been steam cleaned.

Durian may just be my least favorite food I've ever experienced. I'd try just about anything, even foods I haven't liked in the past, but I will never again eat durian. It's a foul, filthy, stinky food.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T&A
Some delicacies from the North of England

Cow's tongue (raw) - when cooked, this is often used in sandwiches:
atongue.jpg
]

Tongue is awesome. When you say 'raw' do you just mean the picture is raw tongue or do you actually eat it raw? I've only ever had it cooked...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads