• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Various ethnic foods you love, that others may be hesitant to try.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I know its more common on the east coast where they have abundant Blues and a tradition of enjoying a good soft shell in season, but aside from the Asian population around here, (and I don't see many of them eating it, either) I don't think I've ever seen any of the white folk eating a soft shell crab. I had to really, REALLY convince an ex that it was amazing - and she was pretty freaked out about it the first time I had her try it. J gave me a weird look the other day when I was eating a spider roll at this sushi place we were at. It just seems so strange to me that even people who love crab, hesitate to eat soft shell or think its weird.

Regardless, it's absolutely delicious. And if whitey is afraid to take a bite out of a whole fried crab - so be it. More for me.
smile.gif

Busshari_080407014548720_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Finally they have left something aside for us.

I like chitterlings,any sort of pig intestine dishes really, particularly fried. Frog stew is an great Gullah food, many people don't believe me I say their isn't any frog in it. Some people don't like curry goat, which is amazing to me, especially since most people eat lamb.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People are hesitant to eat this because they are used to having fish de-boned and beheaded.
I'd like to meet these people, so I can slap them round the face. I've not really eaten much particularly exotic foods. I've eaten a whole platter of raw shell-fish but I'd hardly call that 'ethnic'. Whole fish is pretty standard, skate wings are nice too.
sucking on a fresh shrimp head
nod[1].gif
Also the eggs that are attached to some prawns. And even better - langoustine:
morelangonplate.jpg

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i never heard of white people scared of soft shell crab... lots of places at the nj shore serve it , and it seems to be ordered frequently

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Softshell crab must be much more common on the East Side. Back when I lived in WA no one around me ever ate it. I would eat plenty of fresh cooked crab though if I visited the coast or something.
roasted-crab.jpg
\\\\ Ate these before, they were eh. I was one of the few who actually did try them though.
bugcuisine1.jpg
Host mom served me some of these grasshoppers (It was in Saitama, **** was fresh, no one in Tokyo would eat them). They were sweet and salty, but pretty meh. A few things I love that most whites don't like:
konbu.jpg
tarako1.jpg
Konbu and Mentaiko/Tarako. Also I have been known to bite the heads off of raw Octopi. Oh, and I forgot Horse sashimi and KOJIRAAAAAA (Whale). Had a friend who got physically ill when we made her eat Horse. She was freaked out by even the thought of it. When she was chewing it we made Naying noises and talked like Mr. Ed, just to **** with her more.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Cool, this turned into a "what whitey don't like" thread.

Foie gras seems to present many people with a problem, both how it's made, and the food itself. That's fine, leaves more for (rich) whitey.
devil.gif

Sushi that has not been cooked in some way, seems to present a problem to many folks.

Blood sausage or black pudding seems to turn a lot of people off.

Stinky or blued cheeses seem to turn many people off.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

Foie gras seems to present many people with a problem, both how it's made, and the food itself. That's fine, leaves more for (rich) whitey.
devil.gif

Sushi that has not been cooked in some way, seems to present a problem to many folks.

I've spent a fair amount of time in countries where blood sausage is normal. But, in one country, some locals wanted to take the "American" to a good restaurant and introduce me to authentic food. They ordered blood sausage for an appetizer, and thought it was going to be hilarious to have the "American" try blood sausage, and then tell me what it was that I just ate.

The blood sausage arrives, and I say in their language "the blood sausage looks delicious". . .

There is pure silence as they stare at me strangely. I thought maybe I messed up and it wasn't blood sausage, or perhaps I butchered the language. They spent a few more seconds looking at me, then asked "how do you know what this is?" as the disappointment spread over their faces that the joke was ruined.

inq89

Reaction score
I'm full Filipino but raised stateside, so I've been eating Filipino food for my whole life. Our stuff is not really that gruesome to look at compared to other Asian foods, but for some reason my white friends and girlfriends squirm at the idea of some of the stuff I eat, even though I consider them not at all repulsive to the layman (i.e. pork in a cabbage soup, beef oxtails, fish served with the head actually on)

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I know its more common on the east coast where they have abundant Blues and a tradition of enjoying a good soft shell in season, but aside from the Asian population around here, (and I don't see many of them eating it, either) I don't think I've ever seen any of the white folk eating a soft shell crab. I had to really, REALLY convince an ex that it was amazing - and she was pretty freaked out about it the first time I had her try it. J gave me a weird look the other day when I was eating a spider roll at this sushi place we were at. It just seems so strange to me that even people who love crab, hesitate to eat soft shell or think its weird.

Regardless, it's absolutely delicious. And if whitey is afraid to take a bite out of a whole fried crab - so be it. More for me.
smile.gif

Busshari_080407014548720_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Have you been to Umi Sake house in Belltown? They have a crazy delicious "downtown roll".

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inq89
I'm full Filipino but raised stateside, so I've been eating Filipino food for my whole life. Our stuff is not really that gruesome to look at compared to other Asian foods, but for some reason my white friends and girlfriends squirm at the idea of some of the stuff I eat, even though I consider them not at all repulsive to the layman (i.e. pork in a cabbage soup, beef oxtails, fish served with the head actually on)

Pork in cabbage soup replusive to white friends? WTF do they eat on St. Paddy's day? (Yes, beef vs. pork, but you get the drift).

The only two foods I'm not too fond of from there are balut and that fish and tomato sauce...bunga aung or something like that? Both fairly nasty, to my taste, and I know not really that popular with many Filipinos either.

I've never had the chance to try dog either, but if it looked/smelled tasty, I'd give it a try.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many Chinese restaurants have a "Chinese" menu and a "Western" menu. I think most of the items on the former (e.g., tripe, sea cucumber, bitter melon) would scare non-Chinese patrons.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

devil.gif

I like foi gras, had it very few times, five or six time. Since we have yet to settle up your AA debts you'll have to subsidize a few pounds for me.
smile.gif

I hate people who make a big deal out of getting sushi( as if it is uncommon or special) only to get a Cali Roll or cooked shrimp rolls or worse of all imitation crab rolls. You ask them why and they say I don't eat raw fish. Sushi is hardly worth it without the raw fish, many better things on even the worse menu than a California roll.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Have you been to Umi Sake house in Belltown? They have a crazy delicious "downtown roll".

Thats where we were. Unfortunately, it appears that its the new trendy hotspot. I heard someone waited an hour and a half for a seat on saturday... 20 min wait for seating on Thursday night... and its a pretty damn big place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads