• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Results of a healthy diet experiment and cost

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LucasCLarson
Wow! That's impressive. I'm surprised. Nice job, man.

Thanks. Your comments on skinniness don't go unnoticed however. Recently I've chosen do gain some weight and joined an actual gym and have noticed how small I am in comparison to most. Usually I'm all outdoors and all bodyweight.... a lot of trail running, rock climbing, rowing and some basic gymnast stuff to keep me honest.. never really tried to get big. But in seeing myself against the guys at the gym, the weight I move is not far off from guys a lot bigger than me. Except in squats which I am = to a child.

Funny too, is that since I've chosen to bulk, 3x5 w/ 90lbs around me is no longer possible in chins/pulls... hopefully only temporarily.

Blackpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Thanks. Your comments on skinniness don't go unnoticed however. Recently I've chosen do gain some weight and joined an actual gym and have noticed how small I am in comparison to most. Usually I'm all outdoors and all bodyweight.... a lot of trail running, rock climbing, rowing and some basic gymnast stuff to keep me honest.. never really tried to get big. But in seeing myself against the guys at the gym, the weight I move is not far off from guys a lot bigger than me. Except in squats which I am = to a child.

Funny too, is that since I've chosen to bulk, 3x5 w/ 90lbs around me is no longer possible in chins/pulls... hopefully only temporarily.

People who try to bulk have to eat a damn lot so the strength to weight ratio goes a bit skewed. And lean muscle can be surprisingly strong but hey, everyone wants be at least look as strong as they feel.

I'm impressed you made such a drastic change. Everyone knows being healthy is good for you and all the benefits are listed for them, but no one actually puts the effort in to seize the benefits.

darnelled

Reaction score
I admire the OP for his efforts, but the size he is sounds crazy to me.

I'm also 6'2 and the last time I was 160 lbs was when I was literally a starving medical student on surgery rotations. I ate healthy, but never sat down or slept. I looked like a concentration camp survivor.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Thanks. Your comments on skinniness don't go unnoticed however. Recently I've chosen do gain some weight and joined an actual gym and have noticed how small I am in comparison to most. Usually I'm all outdoors and all bodyweight.... a lot of trail running, rock climbing, rowing and some basic gymnast stuff to keep me honest.. never really tried to get big. But in seeing myself against the guys at the gym, the weight I move is not far off from guys a lot bigger than me. Except in squats which I am = to a child. Funny too, is that since I've chosen to bulk, 3x5 w/ 90lbs around me is no longer possible in chins/pulls... hopefully only temporarily.
I didn't mean for you to take it personally, btw. I was just very surprised. Your diet example contained not nearly the amount of food someone as active as you needs to function at their best--especially someone who claims they are mesomorphic. Nothing wrong with any of those activities. I wish I did more of them. I know it's been beaten to death, but if you're new to lifting give starting strength or another simple 5x5 program a go. Up your calories a bit (250-500cals/week) and see how you put on weight. Assuming you truly are mesomorphic, you shouldn't have a problem putting on a TON of quality muscle relatively quickly. Good luck! Squats, deadlifts, and presses measure real strength, btw!

matt22616

Reaction score
I think it must depend on your personal body composition, because I'm 153 at 6'1" and have plenty of fat on me. Its my third workout on stronglifts 5X5 tomorrow though. I am in immense pain.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LucasCLarson
I didn't mean for you to take it personally, btw. I was just very surprised. Your diet example contained not nearly the amount of food someone as active as you needs to function at their best--especially someone who claims they are mesomorphic.

Nothing wrong with any of those activities. I wish I did more of them.

I know it's been beaten to death, but if you're new to lifting give starting strength or another simple 5x5 program a go. Up your calories a bit (250-500cals/week) and see how you put on weight. Assuming you truly are mesomorphic, you shouldn't have a problem putting on a TON of quality muscle relatively quickly. Good luck!

Squats, deadlifts, and presses measure real strength, btw!

I didn't take it personally
smile.gif

I think you are getting me confused with someone else, probably the OP, which I am not
smile.gif
I just posted cause I was the same weight as the OP and thought I'd add that 6'2" 160 can be healthy. I was once a collegiate light weight rower, then competitive trail runner so thats my weight was low.

I never posted a diet, my diet is ok-ish. But nothing like the OP's, thats crazy intense and not something I could do. I'm not new to lifting, its just been 5 years, I'm pretty sure I can get some good weight on me on my own, if I can't then I get to cry to SF about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads