• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

User coltboy75 banned for commercial use of forum

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
funny.....that's what Andy does over on AAAC to every 'industry' person who gets mentioned or posts. Why I don't do AAAC anymore. He calls it 'advertising'.

I got one and I don't even post there. BTW, I PM'd you on something
smile.gif

R-H

Reaction score
funny.....that's what Andy does over on AAAC to every 'industry' person who gets mentioned or posts. Why I don't do AAAC anymore. He calls it 'advertising'.

I know. A few years ago, I naively took some of his reviews at face value and made some very questionable purchases. Andy is shukster plain and simple.
ffffuuuu.gif
spam[1].gif

ajv

Reaction score

Tough call................Ron, you are courageous..........
worship.gif

Adrian

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha, below is an email that I got from him. It was sent via email. I will provide my response soon. I am currently on vacation and on my laptop and I don't think I have access to the email I sent him. But summed up, I said "I am going to start second year of optometry school and I really don't want any more exposure because I don't want any more demand for pocket squares." The way he described his "venture", it didn't seem as shady. But it sure does now. Maybe I was sleepy when I read it. But in any case, I just thanked him and told him no as nice as I could. I guess he really liked my pocket squares. ---------------- I bought a pcoket sqaure from you about 8 months ago. I have promoted your product as often as I can on the forum.  Two weeks ago I e-mailed a few MTM suit and shirt designers. I proposed evaluating their garments on www.styleforum.net <http://www.styleforum.net/> . The following have responded favorably: Astor & Black, Modern Tailor, Biased Cut, Hamilton Shirts, Gino Tailor, NiAlma, Tailoredsuitsparis, Suitopia, Shirtsmyway, Pernac, Solosso, Tailorstore, Mountain & Sackett and Cottonwork.  Like many styleforum members, I want to buy MTM shirts and suits from companies that can deliver consistent, quality garments.  I have hired a professional photographer to put together a lookbook of the various garments. My problem, I do not have any custom pocket squares or cufflinks to complete the outfits.   My proposal is to send me a few pocket squares and few pair of cufflinks, free of charge, for this review. Your pocketsquares and cufflinks will be seen by hundreds, if not thousands, of potential customers. This could be the best advertising, and cheapest for that matter, that your have experienced.  I know your following on www.styleforum.net <http://www.styleforum.net/> is great, I am also starting a blog that will allow even more exsposure for the business' invloved. I know my proposal is outside the nine dots, I would ask that you keep this between us as some forum members may frown on this venture. Let me know if you have any questions.  Regards,  Matt Richardson --------- Found my response. The response was on SF via PM, that's why I couldn't find it on my email. Here it is:
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
As much as I appreciate your efforts, I don't think I need the extra publicity because I don't plan on doing this at a very high level of productivity for the next year. I am entering my second year of optometry school and will be seeing patients soon and I don't think I can keep up with the pocket squares. But thank you for your efforts and support.
Originally Posted by coltboy75
I did not receive an email from you. Maybe it was filtered by my junk mail. I just checked my junk email and it is not there. It may have been purged by my email service. Please send to: redacted using an email client. Thanks.
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Did you get my e-mail about the MTM suit/shirt review I am doing? Is it something you would like to participate in? coltboy75 (Matt)

I just sent the e-mail. coltboy75 (Matt)

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please note that I, too, am open to bribes. However, I will fairly review your product. PM for address to send free swag.
tongue.gif

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is going to be fairly reviewed, it isn't a bribe.

Originally Posted by intent
Please note that I, too, am open to bribes. However, I will fairly review your product.

PM for address to send free swag.

tongue.gif

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this dude has to do is to start up a style/fashion forum and then wait for the traffic to build up over time. Not very enterpreneurial, I'll say.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The image of a "small timer" comes to mind.

Its said that everyone has a price. Usually the price is more than a pocket square.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is going to be fairly reviewed, it isn't a bribe.
Suppose I'm taking this seriously for a moment: At least your stuff will get reviewed in the same sentence as other more popular brands. I can guarantee you that putting your pocket squares in the same GQ review as Charvet, Dunhill, Zegna, etc. side-by-side will garner attention simply because most readers will see it as an affordable alternative. I can guarantee that whatever Tommy Hilfiger's paying GQ to showcase their wares is worth it for them, even if their quality is nowhere as close.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that it's a good business practice to separate the advertising and editorial (such that it is) wings of any forum/blog/etc... In any case, we are not big fans of grifters.

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by R-H
I know. A few years ago, I naively took some of his reviews at face value and made some very questionable purchases. Andy is shukster plain and simple.
ffffuuuu.gif
spam[1].gif

You mean all his glowing reviews of "just received this _______ today and it is absolutely beautiful!" are nothing but shills? I am shocked, yes, shocked!
devil.gif

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that it's a good business practice to separate the advertising and editorial (such that it is) wings of any forum/blog/etc...

In any case, we are not big fans of grifters.

Yeah, it's a fuzzy line. I can say, for any interested, that NEVER has anyone from SF asked me for merchandise in exchange for 'advertising'. The guys did ask me if I were interested in becoming an affiliate, and I respectfully passed - and received a nice email reply saying to keep in touch in case I changed my mind. Perfect. They laid out the costs, the plan....very up-front and very honest. No hidden agenda's. I think it's very difficult to 'stay on the road' but the guys here do it well. It's interesting to me that the younger, more liberal forum seems straight up and the more conservative, older one plays a little fast and loose.

You know what they say.....'never trust a man in a suit!'

devil.gif

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a fuzzy line. I can say, for any interested, that NEVER has anyone from SF asked me for merchandise in exchange for 'advertising'. The guys did ask me if I were interested in becoming an affiliate, and I respectfully passed - and received a nice email reply saying to keep in touch in case I changed my mind. Perfect. They laid out the costs, the plan....very up-front and very honest. No hidden agenda's. I think it's very difficult to 'stay on the road' but the guys here do it well. It's interesting to me that the younger, more liberal forum seems straight up and the more conservative, older one plays a little fast and loose.

You know what they say.....'never trust a man in a suit!'

devil.gif

What is worse is that this particular moderator at AAAC has no sense of humor at all and babies the fora like it is a platform meant for only pre-puberty kids and 80 plus y/o war veterans but no one else in between.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads