• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some nice Loro Piana Proposte Giacca this season, quite 60/70s looking.

Except for the grey these are being made up at the moment, I'm doing the red and the large birds eye type cloth.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

OxfordDon

Reaction score

Have you checked out Abraham Moon's books?  I would bet pretty good money on that first tweed being Moon.  If anyone has a lead on a gunclub fabric like the second one above (dark, rich undertone, highlights across the spectrum from blue-orange), point me that way. 

I know this has been asked before, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an answer. Does Moon sell to the general public at all? I've never been able to get them to do it with me.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, some help needed for spring/summer jacket cloths. This should be simpler than the herringbone (the plot thickens on that one)

This is the color I'm aiming for, a mid blue that is lighter than standard navy to replace a coat I once had in this color:

Here's a suggested replacement:

14809 would be a no brainer except that @Murlsquirl who got the solid green in that bunch made up noted to me that it runs a bit hot for what you might expect for that weight. Perhaps the weave is a bit tighter.

Another option is a chunky hopsack in the same color, something with a more defined texture. I'm disinclined to use pure linen, but mixes are ok. Would be nice if wearable in typical, not oppressively humid, NE summers. Or, if you've made up the above (09) and find it wearable into the low 80s, that would be useful to know.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ordered a jacket in 14821 too. That cloth can still be a 2 1/2 - 3 season jacket for most people. It's just not something I'd want to be wearing in 75-80f weather...then again, I don't really want to wear a jacket at all in that heat. All in all, it does wear a bit warmer than the weight would lead you to believe...such an awesome bunch though.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ok, some help needed for spring/summer jacket cloths. This should be simpler than the herringbone (the plot thickens on that one) This is the color I'm aiming for, a mid blue that is lighter than standard navy to replace a coat I once had in this color:
Here's a suggested replacement: 14809 would be a no brainer except that @Murlsquirl who got the solid green in that bunch made up noted to me that it runs a bit hot for what you might expect for that weight. Perhaps the weave is a bit tighter. Another option is a chunky hopsack in the same color, something with a more defined texture. I'm disinclined to use pure linen, but mixes are ok. Would be nice if wearable in typical, not oppressively humid, NE summers. Or, if you've made up the above (09) and find it wearable into the low 80s, that would be useful to know.
Delfino has some wool-hemp blends that are nice.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, some help needed for spring/summer jacket cloths. This should be simpler than the herringbone (the plot thickens on that one) This is the color I'm aiming for, a mid blue that is lighter than standard navy to replace a coat I once had in this color: Here's a suggested replacement: 14809 would be a no brainer except that @Murlsquirl who got the solid green in that bunch made up noted to me that it runs a bit hot for what you might expect for that weight. Perhaps the weave is a bit tighter. Another option is a chunky hopsack in the same color, something with a more defined texture. I'm disinclined to use pure linen, but
mixes are ok. Would be nice if wearable in typical, not oppressively humid, NE summers. Or, if you've made up the above (09) and find it wearable into the low 80s, that would be useful to know.
Harrison's of Edinburgh Icarus

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The made for kiton wool/ cashmere linen blends that Ed has been selling are pretty good for autumn, in HK anyway.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@dieworkwear
  @lordsuperb
 @Concordia

Thanks. If you've had something made up in those fabrics and can comment on how they wear, drape, hold up etc. that would be useful too. 
I do have a Mirage jacket. Not especially cool to wear, and when Rave cleaned it, they remarked on how much dog hair was found in it. (My wife's dog doesn't shed.) Still, nice color and tasteful patterns. Drapes wonderfully well-- the tailor liked it.

Dinjango

Reaction score
Ok, some help needed for spring/summer jacket cloths. This should be simpler than the herringbone (the plot thickens on that one)

This is the color I'm aiming for, a mid blue that is lighter than standard navy to replace a coat I once had in this color:

Here's a suggested replacement:

14809 would be a no brainer except that @Murlsquirl who got the solid green in that bunch made up noted to me that it runs a bit hot for what you might expect for that weight. Perhaps the weave is a bit tighter.

Another option is a chunky hopsack in the same color, something with a more defined texture. I'm disinclined to use pure linen, but mixes are ok. Would be nice if wearable in typical, not oppressively humid, NE summers. Or, if you've made up the above (09) and find it wearable into the low 80s, that would be useful to know.

How about the w/s/l from Caccioppoli's summer jacketing range? (http://merinobrothers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=109_110)

Quite lightweight, but drapes pretty well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@dieworkwear
  @lordsuperb
 @Concordia

Thanks. If you've had something made up in those fabrics and can comment on how they wear, drape, hold up etc. that would be useful too. 

I have a cut length of Delfino 1937. Haven't had it made up yet, but will next year.

@gdl203 at NMWA used Delfino 1936 for a run of Formosa jackets. He could probably speak more to it.

dan'l

Reaction score

I know this has been asked before, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an answer. Does Moon sell to the general public at all? I've never been able to get them to do it with me.

No, they do not. Or at least not yet. I was told that they will be launching an online shop soon.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix