• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check out W.Bill Phoenix Bunch 147, cloth WB14821. Have made several these as SB, but you could do it as a DB. This is a cloth that looks better made up than the sample would show. Really spectacular as a jacket.

Well that was an easy sale! ;)

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's too bad that Moonbeam doesn't have a solid brown. What about W Bill Phoenix WB14827? Lighter weight but the swatch looked really good in person, with the texture/weave providing enough variegation to allow for a solid brown.

Going back a ways to answer this, but here is mine:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/447277/newcs-bespoke-adventure/100_100#post_8096311

I figured that would look good (forgot you'd posted that photo in Newc's thread). Chris's clients don't post enough pictures.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like mine done up in Vendon.

Rob
Pressed a suit today from the same cloth as yours. There is an elegance in that cloth I don't get tired of, really like it.

Quote: Loro Piana has a jacketing book that is very similar to Moonbeam type of cloth but much better, in my opinion.
Beautiful patterns and very rich colors. Has a range of solids that are the same ground colors of the patterned cloths. Won't see the book again until Saturday and I don't recall the name and book number. Think it's called "Jackets and Trousers" There are 2 or 3 excellent shades of brown in solids, herringbone and windowpane.

Last edited:

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ThunderMarch said that, not me if you look at the original post. Don't know how that happened.

ThunderMarch, check out W.Bill Phoenix Bunch 147, cloth WB14821.  Have made several these as SB,  but you could do it as a DB. This is a cloth that looks better made up than the sample would show. Really spectacular as a jacket. If you want something more plain, WB14823 in the same book.

The mini barleycorn is sold out from Ariston but is in the Scabal Finest Jacketing book 2256, cloth # 802060. Shade of blue renders lighter blue in daylight but looks like a classic shade of navy at night or in incandescent lighting. Have made this one up SB and DB.

Not digging Cromptons  hopsack DB. If you feel experimental and want to dress like you write a Men's life style website, go for it
Chris do you have any photos of the 14821 made up? It's hard to tell from the sample. Thanks

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agree it's hard to see in the sample. Did not take pictures of the few we made up. PatrickR ordered one tonight so maybe he will post the finished jacket.
It looks much better made up then what the sample in the book renders

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How I wish phoenix was also suitable for trousers. That brown barleycorn would make a nice suit.

I wouldn't rule it out. Not as durable as cavalry twill, but would it need to be?

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got home and flipped through the Phoenix book.
Must say there are lots of fantastic jacketings.
It's a good weight and looks reasonably porous too.
Thanks @Despos for your suggestion. The 14821 looks great. In fact, there are lots of very nice barleycorns in that book.
What do you think of the 14820 though?
As @sebastian mcfox had mentioned, do you by any chance have something already made up in this?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got home and flipped through the Phoenix book.
Must say there are lots of fantastic jacketings.
It's a good weight and looks reasonably porous too.
Thanks @Despos for your suggestion. The 14821 looks great. In fact, there are lots of very nice barleycorns in that book.
What do you think of the 14820 though?
As @sebastian mcfox had mentioned, do you by any chance have something already made up in this?
Thanks in advance.
Hey can u do me a fav.. is14804 a hopsack? looks nice

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey can u do me a fav..  is14804 a hopsack? looks nice

P_20160907_194841_zpsooc8pz3m.jpg

Looks like it. Albeit a rather tightly woven one.
Sorry for the bad lighting. It's night time here now.

G

Griffindork

If you like moonbeam, the W Bill equivalent of an angora/lambswool blend is Lamlana rather than Phoenix. It's mostly solids but has lots of colors and makes up beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52