• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for fabric shops to visit on a day free in London? Would be particularly interested in flannels, tweeds, cavalry twill and the like, and any linens on the (very) heavy side.

Many thanks if you can help!

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for fabric shops to visit on a day free in London? Would be particularly interested in flannels, tweeds, cavalry twill and the like, and any linens on the (very) heavy side.

+1 for this question. I’m always looking for interesting fabrics. Also, anyone know any place in Italy (be it Naples, Milan, Florence, Rome etc.)

CrimsonWave

Reaction score
To each their own but I’d rank it lowest. I would gladly take 4 ply, crispaire, fresco, fox air, tropicalair or bard over NFW and it is definitely not close.
Apologies for the late response but I totally agree with the other posters on the New Fine Worsted. Not a bad cloth but in terms of wrinkle resistance and how well it drapes, the Fox Air, Tropicalair and VBC 4 ply are much better in my experience.

Tropicalair is great too, and I suspect that at least some of the designs in that bunch are also in the Standeven Explorer bunch. Would look at Explorer first because it is cheaper.

Have had a good experience with the Fox Air too but as with the overview of tropical suitings on Permanent Style, Fox Air seems to wrinkle a little bit more than Tropicalaire/Explorer. It has interesting colours and designs than the other two bunches.

VBC 4 ply is just stellar. I do feel the weight when I wear it, but it wears cool.

Not tried Fresco or Crispaire myself but will now give the latter a miss. Have a length of The Baes that I hope to make up soon.
May want take a look at Fox City FC32 (https://foxflannel.com/collections/fox-city-300g/products/warm-taupe-fox-city):

- full-bodied, well-rounded, three season plain weave that slides between the softer, smoother plain weave/high twists (New Fine Worsted/Crispaire) and harder, scratchier ones (Fresco/Fox Air/Smith Woollens Abacus) in terms of body and texture
I would recommend Fox City too. Being less porous, of course it wears slightly warmer than Fox Air but it is a solid cloth that drapes well and resists wrinkling. In my first few wears it felt stiff and a little unyielding to wear it soon became more comfortable. I find it similar to Smith Woollens Abacus and Harrisons Frontier but more so the former.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You could, but should you?

Not the best option, as I see.
Pleasantly non-generic. No harm in a navy blazer, of course. But his is a jacket for someone who wants to look good but doesn’t need to fit in.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Most of the walk-in fabric shops in London are the Regent St discounters, and not to be trusted. There were a few showrooms on Sackville Street, but mostly for the trade and not random walk-ins.

Best selection will be at a tailor on Savile Row. They all have the basics, and some will go intelligently beyond. But you'll have to express interest to a salesman.

Edit: an on-line find. https://theculturetrip.com/europe/u...les/the-best-places-to-find-fabric-in-london/

Most of this is not for quality tailoring, I expect. But there may be some gems. Also in that vein, Liberty of London used to have some lovely cottons that would make good trousers for summer cocktail parties.

Last edited:

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for this question. I’m always looking for interesting fabrics. Also, anyone know any place in Italy (be it Naples, Milan, Florence, Rome etc.)

In Milan I enjoyed visiting Il Vecchio Drappiere (https://ilvecchiodrappiere.com/en/). Really a huge selection, including some lovely vintage fabrics, and a very pleasant and helpful staff (that seemed like family). Cool display of W Bill fabrics in the window, when I was there a couple years ago. Seemed like really nice stuff all round.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caccioppoli really only sells to consumers in Napoli, so they are well worth checking out there

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Milan I enjoyed visiting Il Vecchio Drappiere (https://ilvecchiodrappiere.com/en/). Really a huge selection, including some lovely vintage fabrics, and a very pleasant and helpful staff (that seemed like family). Cool display of W Bill fabrics in the window, when I was there a couple years ago. Seemed like really nice stuff all round.
Yes, been there. I find them overpriced for what it is. Better priced when dealing with Italian fabrics but English fabrics are quite pricey. As someone else said, best bet is the tailor’s shop.

Caccioppoli really only sells to consumers in Napoli, so they are well worth checking out there

I didn’t realize caccioppoli sold cut lengths at the Naples location. I don’t think they stock vintage caccioppoli lengths. They seem to stock just their current run. I visited caccioppoli last time I was in Naples. Didn’t find anything inspiring.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Harrison's Sea Shell bunch? Its a terylene/linen blend...not too familiar with what terylene is, but I would imagine its synthetic to help shed the wrinkles after a wear.

Thinking of it as an option for some summer trousers, I dig the marled effect that they have and

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Justin can buy anything he desires!! That guy spends Canadian tax payers funds foolishly!What do you expect from an incompetent drama teacher when he is voted twice to run a country!

I did my part twice and the last time I stood in line for 1 hour dressed like the way I was ( see below) I got the worst looks from my neighbors!! I can’t take the blame for this Justin taxing us to death!!

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm torn between "this guy is the biggest embarassment on earth" to "Canadians quite frankly deserve him..."

Politicians have been very uninspiring for my entire life, but I've never seen someone so far out of touch with reality -- good lord.

LeonVince

Reaction score
Yes, been there. I find them overpriced for what it is. Better priced when dealing with Italian fabrics but English fabrics are quite pricey. As someone else said, best bet is the tailor’s shop.

I didn’t realize caccioppoli sold cut lengths at the Naples location. I don’t think they stock vintage caccioppoli lengths. They seem to stock just their current run. I visited caccioppoli last time I was in Naples. Didn’t find anything inspiring.
+1 Il Vecchio in Milano

Free Style

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a green colour (ideally a darker shade of green) cloth to be used for a suit suitable for warmer climates? Thanks

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You mean actual green, or olive? If the latter, there are several examples with Fox (City worsted), Dugdale, and probably a few others. Just decide how grey or beige you want the result to be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads