• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Solbiati linen is great stuff.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the linen suit question, I love tan linen but seeing as you already have a summer suit in tan cotton and something in medium grey, I think a slightly lighter than navy linen (RAF blue or something similar) would be perfect for you.

The Thin Man

Reaction score

I have the W. Bill slightly lighter than navy linen suit and I highly recommend it. Perfect shade of blue, light enough that it is looks spring/summer but dark enough that it can actually be worn to meetings. Great drape and hand. Mine has patch pockets and horn buttons.

Medtech got three linen suits made from NSM. Worth checking out those pics.

Do you know if you have 60142? Thanks for the Medtech reference -- I had forgotten those, all of which look really good.

Go with wbill tobacco linen 60154 3 roll 2 with 3 patch or 2 patch/welt, don't even ask for a sample, just call your tailor and order it, it will save a lot of back and forth in this thread :)

If I go with blue (and I like linen), I may go with tobacco next time.

W Bill is a good staple, and has some excellent classic colors.

For a significant premium, the London Lounge linens are even better, and there are a handful of colors that you can't get elsewhere. Not that you'll want your first suit to be anything other than light navy, mid/dark grey, or tobacco.

I've emailed Isles to ask for samples. My budget may limit me to W. Bill, but I did visit LL to check out Alden's photos.

Solbiati linen is great stuff.
I think I will go with heavier fabric for now.

Re: the linen suit question, I love tan linen but seeing as you already have a summer suit in tan cotton and something in medium grey, I think a slightly lighter than navy linen (RAF blue or something similar) would be perfect for you.

I forgot to mention that I have a navy double-breasted, but I only wear it for weddings, etc. But that doesn't change the need for a blue single-breasted suit.

Thanks, everyone, this was really helpful.

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advise you to get the tobacco instead of blue, just because it is something different than you would never see as a worsted. You can also pair the pants with a blue jacket. Also, being linen is a casual suit and not something you wear to the office (depending on where you live), I'd want a color that sets it apart from ordinary suit colors. If you didn't already have a cream suit, I'd say get a cream linen suit, other than that get the tobacco or a dark brown DB, the blue is just too easy of a choice

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked this up. Carlo Barbera for H Lesser around 9 oz. I'm wondering if the shade is right for me. Do you think it is too dark?

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

there is no way one could justify such a spendy price.
I don't play the 'justify' game with goods or services I'm buying with discretionary income. That's not to say I won't perform due dilligence or attempt to negotiate on price but in the end if I want it, I buy it.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you know if you have 60142? Thanks for the Medtech reference -- I had forgotten those, all of which look really good.

I think mine is a shade darker than the 60142. It really depends how you want to use it. I was drawn to the 60142 - it is an attractive color - but realized a full suit of it would just look too dandy for me. I wanted something I could wear to the office - I work in finance in NYC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads