• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

underclothing/undergarment to save time and money washing?

rob1618

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm looking for the best possible onepiece/twopiece undergarment to prevent outerclothing from getting dirty from my skin day-to-day, and therefore less need for washing anything but the undergarment. Preferably the undergarment would be able to last a few days without needing washing as well, is there any such thing? The goal is to have to wash clothes less, save money from fading, using the washer/dryer and save lots of time, thanks.

I live in a 20 to 70 degree climate

rob1618

Reaction score
you are wrong it's not trolling at all,
a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet) this topic was not any of those, it's not inflammatory because it's just asking questions, which are on topic (mens clothing) and coming from someone who is genuinely interested in finding the answer and saving money. I ask the question here because many people here are very familiar in the clothing world and I am not. Anyone can search google for undergarments but you can't readily know which ones are the best options because all sellers are very biased on google, the top listings are for popularity and clothing experts here might know a few hidden gems. however, your comment could be considered inflammatory as there is no reason to imply I was trolling.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear a turtleneck under your t-shirts they'll stay clean.

rob1618

Reaction score
hi threak, thanks for your comment but if you read my question more carefully you'll discover I was asking about onepiece/twopiece undergarments, much like suits, and practical ones. The closest I have found is underarmour, but I thought some people might have better suggestions.

I do know you were joking but let's try and stay on topic as this is a serious thread, trolls and jokers please make your own thread.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry, but your thread is now our thread.

Just wash your shirts!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP-

Two questions:

a) What makes you think that this garment exists?
b) What makes you think that the problem you describe is shared by anyone else on the planet?

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
a) What makes you think that this garment exists?

Very good point. Perhaps the answer is not a garment at all. Maybe, though, there is some sort of spray one could coat oneself with, which will act like a barrier and second skin to keep your clothes clean.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rob1618
hi threak, thanks for your comment but if you read my question more carefully you'll discover I was asking about onepiece/twopiece undergarments, much like suits, and practical ones. The closest I have found is underarmour, but I thought some people might have better suggestions. I do know you were joking but let's try and stay on topic as this is a serious thread, trolls and jokers please make your own thread.
I so loathe all those joaks. Threak is especially bad! Don't mind him and let's keep this forum serious as it should be. That being said: A week or so ago some people were talking about: http://www.ramblersway.com/shop-our-products. Since the underwear is made outr of wool, I presume one sweats less. Another option would be to buy a thermal shirt treated with silver ions(?), since your sweat will smell less in those. ( https://www.inventables.com/technolo...crobial-agents ) PS Threak, be civil, please.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
Very good point. Perhaps the answer is not a garment at all. Maybe, though, there is some sort of spray one could coat oneself with, which will act like a barrier and second skin to keep your clothes clean.

Shea%20Butter%20Sheen%20Spray.JPG

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but my point was that despite the use of undergarments, which are designed to remain unseen when worn, the areas of clothing which are most prone to soiling remain in contact with the skin, e.g. the collar and cuffs on a shirt. Therefore, the only way to fully prevent contact with your outer garments in order to keep them clean would be to adopt undergarments which extended past these points of contact and were thus visible. Again, I do apologize if I did not communicate my point so clearly.

BTW, I meant something more like this:
spray-on-condom.jpg

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear an identical suit under your suit. That way you don't have to wash the suit on the outside.

Oh but you do have to wash the suit on the inside

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
I'm sorry, but my point was that despite the use of undergarments, which are designed to remain unseen when worn, the areas of clothing which are most prone to soiling remain in contact with the skin, e.g. the collar and cuffs on a shirt. Therefore, the only way to fully prevent contact with your outer garments in order to keep them clean would be to adopt undergarments which extended past these points of contact and were thus visible. Again, I do apologize if I did not communicate my point so clearly.

BTW, I meant something more like this:
spray-on-condom.jpg

laugh.gif
That's awesome!

maltodextrine

Reaction score
I doubt that it's what you're looking for, but underarmor does have incredibly comfortable underwear, and it will keep you from sweating nearly as much or from wearing out clothes from the inside. They also stopped me from wearing through the crotches of my jeans (where sweat will weaken the denim) when I'm swing dancing. I'm not really sure what to tell you otherwise, though...

Maybe there's something you could just spray on the suit that will preserve it longer, like that crap they spray on ballcaps when you buy them. However, if it's a suit you care about, I wouldn't recommend this.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
What's the use of keeping a suit clean from the inside, if an unfortunate fellow human being spills hot coffee all over you, or you get drenched by a car speeding through a puddle? Just keep yourself clean, if you want your garments to look perfect, you will have to launder them sooner or later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads