• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

epilepc

Reaction score
Jeans for summer--raw selvage? or washed...

Can anyone recommend selvage jeans <$100? I see gap but I'm waiting for a sale; I don't like UO unbranded.

joey23st

Reaction score
Anyone know of any v neck t-shirts for slimmer, shorter guys? (I'm 5'5. So yeah.) I've tried anything from Alfani to calvin klein, to emporio armani, and others. A lot of them fit great, except for the length...and paying to get a bunch of t-shirts hemmed does get into a wallet after a while. I guess on that note, any recommendations for shorter-length clothing in general?

defan

Reaction score
I'm still looking for some moderately priced shoes (~$200) for wearing with things like Epaulet rivet chinos, khakis, etc. Per a previous question, I was going to get the Mark McNairy shoes (http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...Dainite/Detail) as a first pair but I got some remarks here that said those aren't the greatest quality. I'm also considering Clarks DB's, but I also want something more for the weekends when I'm trying to dress up a bit more. Suede is not a requirement, but I can't really afford to spend $400 on a pair of shoes, especially given I live in the city and walk everywhere, and they're bound to get stepped on regularly.

Any advice on what to check out? I live in Boston so there are some good stores around here, but I want something higher quality than $80 shoes but not ultra high end shoes either.

Thanks for any help.

altemp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epilepc
Jeans for summer--raw selvage? or washed...

Can anyone recommend selvage jeans <$100? I see gap but I'm waiting for a sale; I don't like UO unbranded.

Uniqlo

ledAstray

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Unlike my registration date is suggesting, I've been on this forum for quite some time now. I feel like I don't really know what to do just by reading this forum. I hope it's OK if I ask some very basic questions since this is the ultimate noob thread
smile.gif

So first off: I'm 23, live in Vienna, Austria and I'm trying to get some fashion awareness since I've been clueless all my life. My goal is to develop a style I feel comfortable with and that also works. I don't have a very fashionable circle of friends so I'd be OK to wear something that won't get me too much positive feedback from my friends.

So much about me. My first question is: where to start? I've been reading this forum, browsing the GQ homepage, looking through blogs etc. and I have come to this conclusion: I don't know how and why most high fashion looks work. So again: I'm lacking fashion awareness which I would like to change. Also I'm living in a city that is rather known for its traditions than for being a capital of modern living. Including fashion. I did, however find a blog that portrays a small part of Vienna's fashion spectrum. Check it out if you want to.

So how did you get that sense of what is just off and what's daring and fashionable? How did you develop your sense of style? I read you could find a role model and copy its style. But most role models could pull of looks I can't because I'm not a fashion trendsetter.

I've read on this forum about a few topics that I was interested in and would have come to completely different conclusions. You might say now taste is variable from person to person, but I don't want to look like a douchebag, thinking I'm just more daring than other people.

Here are a couple of examples where my own thoughts seem to be completely the opposite to what's considered good fashion (on this forum that is).

Scarves: I like the feeling of a scarf on my neck. Hence I also like wearing them even though it's not cold (like inside a bar or restaurant). Do you think it's just wrong to wear a scarf when there is no necessity? Also when you're outside it can serve as a way to protect your neck. I bought this Diesel scarf a while ago and I really like it on top of a V-neck sweater or under a hoodie and t-shirt. http://img1.mode.billiger.de/dynimg/...ef&w=400&h=400

Polos: a lot of chicks I know dig polos. I think they look better than plain t-shirts, so I'm wearing them from time to time. I also tried the two polos, popped collar look which seems to get a lot of hate on this forum. I don't swear by this look by any means, but I wanted to try it out and I actually like the idea. If it is generally perceived as douchy than I don't see any reason to keep doing it. I just don't really get the hate.

Wearing a t-shirt on top of a button down shirt: I haven't found anything on this topic, so I'm just asking for your opinion. What do you think? I saw this on a mannequin the other day and thought it looked kinda cool. A rather dressy long sleeve button down shirt under a Ben Sherman t-shirt and a longs sleeve cardigan on top. What do you think?

I'm sorry if my post is too long, but I would really appreciate if you could give me some direction. You can flame my fashion sense all you want. I'm here to learn
smile.gif

Thanks a lot!

Felix

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ledAstray
So how did you get that sense of what is just off and what's daring and fashionable? How did you develop your sense of style? I read you could find a role model and copy its style. But most role models could pull of looks I can't because I'm not a fashion trendsetter.
hah, funny you're from vienna, as the first 'designer' I got into was Helmut Lang back in 2000 or so. I've read a few interviews with him where he mentions Vienna's traditionalist and stifling outlook re: the arts, seems that hasn't changed too much heh?
Scarves: I like the feeling of a scarf on my neck. Hence I also like wearing them even though it's not cold (like inside a bar or restaurant). Do you think it's just wrong to wear a scarf when there is no necessity?
scarf and tshirt is kind of odd, but not terrible for the most part. it really sounds like you would be happier in lightweight turtlenecks. find some thin wool ones in cool colors. plus, lightweight turtlenecks are about 100 times more awesome than a shirt+scarf combo.
Polos: a lot of chicks I know dig polos. I think they look better than plain t-shirts, so I'm wearing them from time to time. I also tried the two polos, popped collar look which seems to get a lot of hate on this forum. I don't swear by this look by any means, but I wanted to try it out and I actually like the idea. If it is generally perceived as douchy than I don't see any reason to keep doing it. I just don't really get the hate.
Don't know about vienna, but here in the US popped polo = instadouchebag status for pretty much everyone. Only fratty bros or aspiring fratty bros do this. Note that I didn't say whether or not it objectively looks bad, just that you will be judged harshly here
wink.gif
Wearing a t-shirt on top of a button down shirt: I haven't found anything on this topic, so I'm just asking for your opinion. What do you think? I saw this on a mannequin the other day and thought it looked kinda cool. A rather dressy long sleeve button down shirt under a Ben Sherman t-shirt and a longs sleeve cardigan on top. What do you think?
tshirt over dress shirt seems like a cheap way to make a 'dressy' look more casual, you know? I've seen a few successful attempts in fashion shows and forums, but they are often with exaggerated proportions or doing something weird with it.
I'm sorry if my post is too long, but I would really appreciate if you could give me some direction. You can flame my fashion sense all you want. I'm here to learn
smile.gif
I propose the following: Find, either on a blog/fashion show/whatever, a few images of really out there styles you dig and would wear in a cultural vacuum of no judgements, reservations, etc. Pick it apart until you can identify what parts of the look (such as the cut or shape of a jacket, colors, materials, etc) are attractive to you and find items that align themselves accordingly. Dial down the excess as needed.

onetwozoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joey23st
Anyone know of any v neck t-shirts for slimmer, shorter guys? (I'm 5'5. So yeah.) I've tried anything from Alfani to calvin klein, to emporio armani, and others. A lot of them fit great, except for the length...and paying to get a bunch of t-shirts hemmed does get into a wallet after a while. I guess on that note, any recommendations for shorter-length clothing in general?
h&m xs v-neck t-shirts. they cost like nothing, but that reflects in the used materials.

ledAstray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
hah, funny you're from vienna, as the first 'designer' I got into was Helmut Lang back in 2000 or so. I've read a few interviews with him where he mentions Vienna's traditionalist and stifling outlook re: the arts, seems that hasn't changed too much heh?
Thanks for the reply! Well the thing about Vienna is that it's an amazing city that has a lot to offer, but it's also kinda dead. We live of our Opernball, Life Ball, New Year's Concert etc. that are repeated year after year, but apart from that there is not too much going on event wise. Just to give you a picture: the first Vienna fashion week was 2009
wink.gif
scarf and tshirt is kind of odd, but not terrible for the most part. it really sounds like you would be happier in lightweight turtlenecks. find some thin wool ones in cool colors. plus, lightweight turtlenecks are about 100 times more awesome than a shirt+scarf combo.
I see. I was thinking about something like this I like the video even though it's of course exaggerated and satirical
smile.gif
Don't know about vienna, but here in the US popped polo = instadouchebag status for pretty much everyone. Only fratty bros or aspiring fratty bros do this. Note that I didn't say whether or not it objectively looks bad, just that you will be judged harshly here
wink.gif

Well if there's so much hate for that look, then I feel like I won't benefit much from going for it
wink.gif
tshirt over dress shirt seems like a cheap way to make a 'dressy' look more casual, you know? I've seen a few successful attempts in fashion shows and forums, but they are often with exaggerated proportions or doing something weird with it.
Maybe I should post a picture. I kinda like the idea of a graphic tee and dressy collar/sleeves. That's all you'd see from the shirt anyway. Talking about shirts: do you think it's OK to wear one side of your collar up, another one down, and the shirt only partially tucked in? I saw this on a mannequin and I liked the idea of some irregularity. Generally speaking: do you think mannequins are just for displaying the clothes or is it OK to look at them for inspiration on how to wear the clothes? I know you can't trust sales people because for them everything looks good on you, but maybe they are doing this right
smile.gif
I propose the following: Find, either on a blog/fashion show/whatever, a few images of really out there styles you dig and would wear in a cultural vacuum of no judgements, reservations, etc. Pick it apart until you can identify what parts of the look (such as the cut or shape of a jacket, colors, materials, etc) are attractive to you and find items that align themselves accordingly. Dial down the excess as needed.
OK cool. I will do that. I want to experiment with different styles so there is no need for me to find the style. E.g. even though I'm more into electronic music these days, I like the Indie, tight pants, checked shirts look.

McCarron2080

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First off I'd like to say this is an amazing forum. I never would have imagined all of the unique styles that are displayed here!

That said, I have an issue. I am a fashion noob. I know what I like the looks of, but I don't know what would look good on me. I am 22 years old, 5'11, and overweight. Not vastly so.. but enough to get me quite down emotionally. 260ish last I checked. I have always had a very clean and healthy diet, but my issue has been physical activity. I understand that you'll never look and feel as good as when you're fit and I have started to work on that (I spend a hour at the gym 6 days a week and see a personal trainer once a week).

However, I can't wait until I have the body I want (need) to redo my wardrobe and find a fashion sense. I am wearing the same striped button-up shirts and jeans I was wearing in high-school.
uhoh.gif
So I come to you today pleading for help! I need to find a look (or looks) that will help me look good now so that I at least don't look terrible, as well as learn how to fashion myself.

The following is some information I have gathered on myself that might help you help me
laugh.gif

1) I am white and look quite.. French, if that makes any sense (and no offence intended!), or so I have been told: the skin tone, the way my hair grows, etc. I have dark brown, straight hair and hazel eyes.

2) I really love suits. Get completely envious and enthralled by looking at the pictures the lads in the men's style section post of their suits.. but I can't afford to make those kinds of purchases while my body is changing (for the better at least!) so if I could find a way to casualize that clean, well groomed look suits provide I would be very happy.

3) I live in Georgia, USA.. so it can get quite humid!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you must buy, buy cheap. Doesn't make sense to spend a lot if you are going to be changing your body shape shortly. If you can make due with what you've got, stick with it until you're finished getting in shape, then think about investing in nicer clothes

McCarron2080

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
If you must buy, buy cheap. Doesn't make sense to spend a lot if you are going to be changing your body shape shortly. If you can make due with what you've got, stick with it until you're finished getting in shape, then think about investing in nicer clothes

Yes that is what I have figured
smile.gif
Unfortunately I can't make due with what I have as they are very worn and a bit uncomfortable as I've done some growing since 9th grade, and not just outward. I just don't know what to buy.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gap, H&amp;M, Uniqlo

blah23

Reaction score
Can somebody recommend me a baseball jacket. Looking for something <$200, so ToJ is out. BB now has one, but I'm not expecting a great fit. I'd prefer something slimmer (I'm 5"11 and 155lbs).

Thanks,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads