• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anxiouscowboy
I need a nice leather boot, preferably a brogue. I like grensons but they are a little too clunky. I really like docle gabbanas but can't afford them... want to spend under 300... what do you think?

You think Grensons are too clunky? What models are you looking at? I own two pair of Grenson shoes and they are the sleekest shoes I have in my wardrobe. They have elongated toes, but are slim profile and shape.

Check out the Kirk model.

Lafayette

Reaction score
Originally Posted by killerfrenzi
I got a pair of blue levi cords, what I can wear them with, any suggestions?

Pretty much anything you'd wear with jeans in the same color. Beware to stay away from blue jean jackets unless the color is extremely faded. Other colors of jean jackets are a go. Stay away from corduroy jackets.

anxiouscowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Since you mentioned Grenson... http://www.pediwear.co.uk/grenson/products/3824.php One of their more streamlined brogues.
Hmm.. I dislike how casual the soles make the boot. Maybe a brogue is too casual for what I want? I want a dressier boot for under 300 ....what do you think? I still want to be able to wear it with somewhat casual attire... nice trousers etc, not necessarily a suit...

Jawsh

Reaction score
Which brand of shirts is good for a tall athletic build? I'm 6'6" 205; is there anything that will help besides a tailor?

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I posted in WAYWT and a kind poster recommended this:
Blackmaged should get a ToJ baseball jacket.
Gonna ask here so I don't **** up the WAYWT thread.

Not sure if I'm ready to drop $400 on a jacket, but if it's versatile and of high-quality I'm sure I can manage. I'm on a college student budget.

Going to assume he was talking about this one:
http://templeofjawnz.com/?page_id=429

I know TOJ is highly regarded around SF, but how versatile/year-round is the baseball jacket? Esp. since it's suede; I don't think it'd work too well in the rainy seasons
uhoh.gif

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
For a HS/College setting what is casual wear now?
Especially for outerwear as well as outfits for the warmer days?

AA shirt + jeans for Spring/Summer?
Shoes?

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BuffaloWang

Shoes?

Do you really need to ask? Pretty much everything everyone wears is 'casual wear'

Knisse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
You think Grensons are too clunky? What models are you looking at? I own two pair of Grenson shoes and they are the sleekest shoes I have in my wardrobe. They have elongated toes, but are slim profile and shape.

Check out the Kirk model.

The kirk model is so great, would you happen to know what Grenson i should be looking at if i want a boot? Does the Kirk model come a boot version?

Ataylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BuffaloWang

Shoes?

I'd like to hear a good answer to this question as well, here are my thoughts.

Shorts; definitely not cargo or board style, rather something more comparable to full length pants just with a higher hem, I'm not sure what to think about denim shorts though. Shirts; definitely don't be tempted by the ever prevalent graphic t-shirts, a more simple plain t-shirt shirt, button down or polo would be good options. Foot wear; any casual foot wear like loafers, sneakers, desert boots or nice sandals would work well, just ensure that you can't see your socks in any of them.

Michael_A

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Any jean with the same cut as the Levis 511 but a nicer fabric & construction? Just getting into nicer jeans and I like the fit of the 511 but not everything else. I have a 36" (minimum) inseam too.

Tried posting in "have a jean" but no response ...

Thanks
Michael

Vecna

Reaction score
This is a lame question but it's something I really struggle with.

What pants do you wear with navy tees/henleys

To me, it looks pretty weird with jeans, but if I wear khakis then it over-emphasizes my legs. Of course you can use it as a layering item but is there a way to wear it well without drawing all the attention to my legs? Gray? Green? What would you wear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads