• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tuxedo jacket with black jeans for cocktail setting: Yes or No?

randomatom

Reaction score
Usually, I subscribe more to the "study and start with the rules" camp, but I'm contemplating what what many of you might consider a mortal sin of semi-formal wear: breaking up a tuxedo and pairing with jeans. Here are the specifics:

Midnight blue shawl collar tuxedo jacket with no vents, jetted pockets and black satin lapel/buttons/pocket lining, bespoke.

White band/Henley collared shirt with French front (no placket). I think this is actually the piece that might pull it all together. Its lack of collar prohibits me from wearing a tie, and leaving the top two buttons undone will help dress down the jacket. This item is also bespoke.

Black jeans, slim fit.

Navy suede loafers from Zegna, to be worn with no-show socks.

I'm curious to hear feedback. The setting is my 35th birthday party at a somewhat nice bar in the evening. I should add that it's in San Francisco, where most men go to bars wearing Patagonia puffies or a hoodie. I don't want to be too over-the-top, but something about breaking a couple of rules appeals to me for this occasion.

ThomGault

Reaction score

I'm contemplating what what many of you might consider a mortal sin of semi-formal wear: breaking up a tuxedo and pairing with jeans. I don't want to be too over-the-top, but something about breaking a couple of rules appeals to me for this occasion.

So, would you label this outfit your 'birthday suit?'
I just don't understand the appeal of your idea, other than a desire to set not blend in. Actually, I'm wrong...you WOULD blend in with a couple of homeless guys I see on the corner each morning.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, would you label this outfit your 'birthday suit?'
I just don't understand the appeal of your idea, other than a desire to set not blend in. Actually, I'm wrong...you WOULD blend in with a couple of homeless guys I see on the corner each morning.

Be nice, TG.

@randomatom , I have to agree with the basis of what TG said....no.

ThomGault

Reaction score

Be nice, TG.

@randomatom
, I have to agree with the basis of what TG said....no.

Maybe I could've worded it better, but I'm not exaggerating...I frequently pass a homeless guy who, almost every day, wears the same outfit of tux jacket and jeans.

thesilentist

Reaction score
I'm not going to be so negative. I say go for it and give it a try.

A long time ago my first tuxedo was trashed while I was in the highlands of Carmel Valley at a house party. I dropped my phone over a balcony and in the process of recovering it tore my tuxedo trousers beyond repair. I was left with a nice midnight navy shawl collar jacket. I started wearing it with a white shirt or black turtleneck and beat-up blue jeans and bit loafers.

I just feel like if it's your birthday then it's as good an excuse as any to wear something as ridiculous as the night you intend on having.

That said, I think a velvet jacket would be a better option than your bespoke tuxedo jacket.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Context is everything, and for your own birthday party in a bar I say dress as you please. By contrast, a recent query in this forum wondered about the possibility of wearing a tux jacket and jeans to someone else's wedding--an appalling idea that fails utterly to grasp how attire is about other people's feelings (known as "manners" in an earlier, archaic age), not showing off.

(Scary thought: Is the tux-and-jeans look going viral? To which lunk-head in Hollywood do we owe the honor?)

For the record, I wouldn't wear half a tux if I had no legs. But it's your party.

Last edited:

randomatom

Reaction score
Context is everything, and for your own birthday party in a bar I say dress as you please. By contrast, a recent query in this forum wondered about the possibility of wearing a tux jacket and jeans to someone else's wedding--an appalling idea that fails utterly to grasp how attire is about other people's feelings (known as "manners" in an earlier, archaic age), not showing off.

(Scary thought: Is the tux-and-jeans look going viral? To which lunk-head in Hollywood do we owe the honor?)

For the record, I wouldn't wear half a tux if I had no legs. But it's your party.

Ha - love it: "For the record, I wouldn't wear half a tux if I had no legs. But it's your party."

In the end, I decided to against this idea. Thanks for the sanity check, everyone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads