• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Turnbull and Asser Shirts

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfused collars are much more complicated to iron. My nearest cleaner (crappy major UK chain) is unable to handle them well. I have never owned an iron, so I don't have any first hand experience.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iron damp, eh? how damp is damp? do you guys not put your fine shirts in the dryer, or what?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
iron damp, eh? how damp is damp? do you guys not put your fine shirts in the dryer, or what?

All mine air dry.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gotcha. any particular reason?

due to recent changes in my lifestyle (blasted economic cycle) i soon have to begin ironing my own shirts and doing my own laundry, and i want to know as much as i can about this crap

do dryers make the shirts shrink or what

BRITINLA

Reaction score

due to recent changes in my lifestyle (blasted economic cycle) i soon have to begin ironing my own shirts and doing my own laundry, and i want to know as much as i can about this crap

[/i]

I never dry my shirts, let them air dry. Iron while damp, or if dry use an iron with a spray.

I've been told the dryer will shrink. Not sure if this is true or not.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the only part that take any real time to iron is shirt sleeve, the rest is relatively easy, maybe that's what she meant by difficult to iron. I personally used to have some shirt with multiple folds, and they're annoying quote annoying to iron, that's about the only thing I can think of.

suitsusid

Reaction score
Thank you gents for all your ideas. Now let me tell you about my vist to T&A....after looking through a few old threads and speaking to friends i decided to go bespoke for the first time. I visited T&A bespoke (the shop on Bury St, off Jermyn St). to cut a long story short, i was told minimum order is 6 shirts, they make a sample, send it to you after wearing and laundering a few times you decide if the shirt is perfect then they make the others if not they will make alterations to the sample until your are satisfied......the shocking think for me to learn was that my shirt collar was a lot larger than what i thought i was...i have always bought 16.5" collar which do fit. from the measure the tailor told me my collar size is actually a 17.25"...i was astounded...apparently the correct neck measurements are taken from bottom of your neck and not the middle...has anybody had a similar experience?

Overall it was a fabulous experience and i cannot wait for the sample shirt to arrive.

R's
Sid

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It only takes a few minutes to tumble dry a couple dress shirts on low heat. I don't think it hurts the shirts much, but it sure makes them softer.

ed1234

Reaction score

The reason I would never put my shirts in the dryer is that you will ruin them if you use antiperspirant. The aluminium compounds in 99% of antiperspirants mix with sweat and can stain your underarms an unpleasant yellow, but this is made far worse if you stick your shirts in the dryer - the staining is "baked" into the shirts and cannot be removed.

I learned this the hard way when I was living in Singapore and would easily go through 10 shirts in 6 months.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some people are strange with their ironing....I know so many people being completely anal with it..
They pass about 30 minutes per shirt in a military style operation...
I just do mine in 5 minutes..
It is also true that the quality is playing a role...

kzystylin

Reaction score
how does turnbull and asser shirts compare to RLBL in terms of quality and fit? i am a 14.5 in RLBL and find that they fit me pretty well. there are some on ebay now, but have no idea if they would fit me

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
How much does it cost to get shirts pressed for you? I don't understand how/why one could buy a $200-400 shirt and not pony up $1-3 to have the shirt cleaned and pressed.

pressers mess up the collar, cuff, and shirring

its not a question of economics, but care. things like detailing a car, id rather not trust others to do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads