• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too Soon for Seersucker???

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am from the South. It is a matter of personal taste, but seersucker is never o.k. I just can't void the image of Col. Sanders. To me, there are simply better options.

The good Colonel rocked a white DB, not a seersucker. You're from the South and seersucker is never okay? It's fairly common in Maryland in the summer.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seersucker is a wonderful fabric for odd jackets. Particularly in navy, khaki, etc. etc. I think where many loose interest in seersucker is they associate it strictly with the very light colors - and this does not have to be the case.

I will admit that here in Atlanta you don't see much seersucker - despite it's long and rich history of wear here. Modern HVAC has allowed most men to be comfortable in a 'three season' suit all four seasons here in the ATL. I'm not much of a fan of this, as I like the variety that comes with seasonal dressing.

As for seersucker in january it strikes me as a bit much unless you are having a real heatwave, say well over 80 degrees. But even then it depends on the color, in a medium to darker tone it probably would be just fine.

Last edited:

urfloormatt

Reaction score
I am from the South. It is a matter of personal taste, but seersucker is never o.k. I just can't void the image of Col. Sanders. To me, there are simply better options.

Never? I see it in DC all the time in the summer, even partake myself. I think it has made a strong resurgence in the last few years in this area, much as the suit has seen a resurgence.

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask my wife constantly if I can bust out my seersucker yet. Easter is usually when it comes out, but I'm always chomping at the bit. I REALLY want to take something on a cruise next weekend, but that might be pushing it.

Didn't someone once say "Give me seersucker or give me death?"

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seersucker is a wonderful fabric for odd jackets. Particularly in navy, khaki, etc. etc. I think where many loose interest in seersucker is they associate it strictly with the very light colors - and this does not have to be the case.
I will admit that here in Atlanta you don't see much seersucker - despite it's long and rich history of wear here. Modern HVAC has allowed most men to be comfortable in a 'three season' suit all four seasons here in the ATL. I'm not much of a fan of this, as I like the variety that comes with seasonal dressing.
As for seersucker in january it strikes me as a bit much unless you are having a real heatwave, say well over 80 degrees. But even then it depends on the color, in a medium to darker tone it probably would be just fine.

yeah, even in Atlanta I guess I do only see it on old guys the few times I go to church in the springtime. I see it at a lot of weddings in the area, though.

TexasDan

Reaction score
I think January is a bit early. I usually wait until Easter and put in away mid to end of September.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to try and dig up a picture of the Navy Seersucker blazer I had made, I loved it and if I can source the fabric again, would do it again at some point. I also remember a poster last spring that had a similar one in a tan that was drool worthy.

O'Higgins

Reaction score

I think January is a bit early. I usually wait until Easter and put in away mid to end of September.

You are correct sir, I bought a new seersucker suit at a local men's store on sale in October and I am just a bit anxious to wear it....Easter is April 8. The way things are going here, it'll be 90F that day....or we'll have a 'Easter Norther" and it'll be 35F...:puzzled:

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Abide to this timeframe unless you have a group agreeing to do a 'Summer In Winter' theme day.

If that's the guideline you choose to follow, I'm not going to argue with you over it.
But my own guideline is that - dependent upon appropriate weather - seersucker is acceptable anytime post-Easter but pre-autumnal equinox. The "Memorial Day to Labor Day" rule may make sense in the region where it originated - New England. In more temperate parts of the country, I feel it can be somewhat modified. Just not to the extent of wearing seersucker in January.
Michael

You must do what you feel compelled to do. No arguments from me either. :) Personally I enjoy adhereing to seasonal tradition in this respect. Were I to live in the south I am unsure as to exactly what I would wear in January-February but it wouldn't be seersucker. Each to his own ofcourse.

Abide to this timeframe unless you have a group agreeing to do a 'Summer In Winter' theme day.

Actually, I believe the classic time frame is/was May 15th to September 15th, the former being known as Straw Hat Day and the latter as Felt Hat Day. May 15th was the first day you could wear one and September 14th being the last.

http://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/straw-hat-day/

Well I am easygoing about an exact timeframe but it is a good guideline.
I'll do seersucker the first temperate day in spring until the last temperate day in autumn. I find most of the summer days to be too brutally hot for it. I do love to push seersucker past labour Day because it plays off the colourful leaves of autumn so well. The seersucker police have never yet cited me yet for it.

ddonicht

Reaction score
To me the old rules about what time of year to wear things no longer apply unless you want them to. They, along with other traditions such as having shirt sleeves longer than your jacket sleeves came about because it was harder to clean things back then. Now that most of us have access to washing machines and dry cleaners, they really matter. So nowadays it is more about the fabric and the weather. Loose weaves such linen aren't very effective in cold and rainy weather just like tweed is overkill in warm weather.

If you feel the weather is ok for it and don't care about the comments from traditionalists, go ahead and wear it. However, if you are concerned about what someone might say to you, then you are probably better off leaving it in the closet for a while longer. It should be noted that I am one of those that don't care. I not only have a seersucker suit up here in the NW (where it is unheard of) but I actually wore mine xmas day because I was in the mood for it.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt sleeves were longer than jacket sleeves so that the wool of the jacket cuff would not get dirty. Cotton/linen is easier to clean frequently than carefully cleaning a jacket/suit. The fact that it looks better to have shirt cuff is an aesthetic bonus or coincidence.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics