• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
yea ive handled some hermes and also seen leather from seraphim, who iirc supplies hermes with their leather. it's beautiful - probably the best ive ever seen, but of course it's not worth what it costs.

kronik has a seraphim leather jacket lined w/ i think.. ermine? just.. ridiculous.

yeah that is my point...
fwiw, these new jackets I've been putting out this week have this really expensive air about them, I planned them to look good in my head obviously, but they're even richer looking in person. I am kind of surprised. This quilt DR looks really expensive in real life, you'd get people coming up to touch it, I think. The quilt details on the shoulder and the inside of the arms are really something. The band collar DR will also look nuts.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
nah, I just happen to like a few of their designs lately, and think they need to be slimmed/lengthened and done in lamb.
redface.gif
I have my own design language that I think is kind of apparent by now, it's structured and clean and works off the materials. That is why I kind of cringe when I see TOJ jackets get washed and all crumpled up or something, like it were supposed to be a RO or Julius, and they're definitely not that. Regarding that actually, I did rinse the 2011 DR in hot water, but just rinsed and hung it. DId not wring it or shape it, but it did really nicely. That grey leather is exceptionally soft and delicate so it was nice to take off some gloss and it toughened up the leather a notch. I recommend just a spray down with hot water and then just leaving it to dry.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey drew, super pumped to see the bball jacket and of course the band collar dr. two q's atm.

1) are there multiple suedes? a few posts up you mentioned calf suede I think, though previously you guys were using pig suede. What's the story with this, what are the options? also I don't think we've gotten a price on new suede materials

2) for the quilted dr, will the quilting have to match the rest of the jacket, or is a contrast thing possible? (also will the quilted dr be available in all the same colors as the other lamb jackets?) I would imagine if so, you would have some preset/non-negotiable color combos a la the fishtail

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
there is lamb suede, and cow suede ($665) - but actually come to think of it, there isn't anything I make right now that is suitable for lamb suede. It was good on the harrington, T1, a couple others, but calf suede will be better.
I found pig suede to be a little stiff and therefore I would rather use calf from now on. I have this soft Yohji bag I carry around sometimes and the leather market guys all like to touch it and tell me about the leather on it, and it's calf suede.

The quilt on the jackets is separate pieces, but I guess that's up to you if you want different colors. I don't think it'd look great IMHO, but I have seen bi colored jackets like that in this kind of style.

To me, the quilt jackets (this quilt DR and the band collar DR) look extraordinary in any color. It's all about the suppleness of the lamb, and the quilted portions look amazing. I don't even know if those iPhone pics of the brown band collar DR sleeve I took at the workshop that I posted a page or two back expressed how awesome that looked to me. Whisky would look insane. Blue and Green would look insane. Grey would look insane. Basically all colors of lamb.

The band collar DR should be ready by tomorrow. It was basically done tonight. I am stoked beyond belief for that thing, I can't even sleep and it's 5:15am, didn't even drink today because I was so preoccupied thinking about this jacket. It's my most complex leather jacket design by far, in two years of making these clothes; it's tons of work in one small package, so it will be my jewel. Right now, I don't even know where I'll go next after this jacket, design-wise. It'll be hard to top or even get the next stuff at the same level to my eyes.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
also, the people who make the jackets will be pissed if the band collar DR becomes popular, lol. It's hard to make.

newguy

Reaction score
Wow, the new steez really does have swag juice overflowin'.

Damnit man, if I'm gona splurge this year, it's gona be TOJ, **** trenchcoats.

Perpetual Monotony

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
also, the people who make the jackets will be pissed if the band collar DR becomes popular, lol. It's hard to make.

Too bad for them, that is the one I'm most excited for.

Still, I'm not completely sold on the "quilting," or whatever you call it. Could you explain briefly why you chose to go in that direction with some of the new stuff? I'm not a leather jacket dude, so maybe I'm just unaccustomed to how it looks... The minimalist DR is probably better suited to me, but I'd love to see the band-collar.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There isn't gonna be an update to the Bomber right now. There's gonna be a suede Bomber that we made before, but the leather Bomber style is gonna stay the same for awhile longer. It's not really adaptable to big change anyway.

The quilt, I dunno, I just like it. We do all these jackets handmade, one by one, so we can take advantage of that and do more difficult things, and the quilting is one of those things. I like how it looks, it gives some visual interest and depth to the jacket, and like I said, the lamb leather really, really suits the quilt effect. It's nice and soft, holds the quilt channels well, it's really sexy in real life. We have some simple yet aggressive styles (Moto, DR's), we'll have these aggressive quilted jackets, and we have the Bomber and the collared Moto that are slightly more conservative in look.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm considering a suede 2011 DR, I'm still waiting for Charly to reply with the color options for the suede but I'm considering either dark brown or even black. You think a calf suede DR would be fine or would it be better for the band collar moto?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this is the year of Toj. Much will be purchased. Much will be cherished.

Steeze will be at an all time high all over the world. My moto won't be the only leather in my closet by year's end.

edit: sent Charly an email about the minimalist DR in leaf green. hopefully before the summer starts I'll order my blacked out 2010 DR as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads