TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I am ready to pull the trigger on the DR. I love the newest addition (Quilt Double Rider) to the lineup but I am just a little worried about the toughness and durability of the lamp leather. How does it compare to the calf leather? Is there a great difference?

To make the decision easier, Drew said the quilted and 2011 DR & Moto are only available in lamb unless it's suede then he recommend calf suede.

2. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

Non-leather $300 recommendations?

ToJ blazer.

3. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

I am ready to pull the trigger on the DR. I love the newest addition (Quilt Double Rider) to the lineup but I am just a little worried about the toughness and durability of the lamp leather. How does it compare to the calf leather? Is there a great difference?
    Answered: http://templeofjawnz.com/?p=215
    it is, and that is lamb; to be really honest, I prefer lamb for everything. They're obviously not jackets for really riding a bike in, but lamb falls nicely on your right out of the box, you can wear it a little slimmer because it stretches and doesn't crease hard in your elbows or pits like the harder leathers do, and it looks really fucking cool when you have a Bomber in A-2 style but it's cut trimly, see what BoO is doing this season (and what I've done for 2 years now with the Bomber - I<3Bacon wears the very first prototype and wears it well, it may not even come across slimly enough in pics but it definitely is, because it was made for me [​IMG]) The thick lamb we have (which is all of those colors except the red, which is mid-thickness) is something really nice, not run of the mill stuff. That's why I tend to use it on all sorts of things, like varsity jacket sleeves, coat trimmings, there will be more; it's 'ours' if anything were. Other makers make leathers in Korea here using the same garment leather sources that we do, like Geller, etc, but they don't step up the extra $1-2/square to the nicer lamb that we use, because a larger sized leather jacket with detailing can be 50 squares per jacket. They tend to stay with the thin Italian nappa hides that are more standard and run fairly cheaply, it's genuine leather as opposed to full on aniline dye leather like I prefer to use, which has a transparent, deep finish with several color layers and a full grain, as opposed to the painted-on opaque finish that covers blemished or split-down hides.
    if you could see my MMM leather in person, this question is not even a question - the jacket looks cool because it's been worn to death for almost 12 years, but it's not high quality. The MMM calf is about one to one with the TOJ stuff on the topside finish though I might be edging the MMM out a bit, it's hard to tell since there isn't an unwrinkled spot on my MMM anywhere (our calf is near flawless in the hide and we pay a huge premium for that) but the MMM is very thin for calf, not even 3oz, more like 2oz (about 0.6-8mm, it's really quite thin), the lining is cheap cotton+viscose (that has gaping holes all over, and I have to stuff the strands of sleeve lining back into the sleeves), all the seams around the zippers and placket are just sewn and then excess edges are cut - when the seams break away from the stitching there's nothing to do about repairing it cleanly that way. The jacket is missing the little flashing details of leather that 'hide' the zips like on my TOJ jackets, etc, and the folded over/sewn seams. The MRS zippers are nice on the MMM, but pound for pound the YKK Japans are about as good functionally - which is why MMM themselves moved to the same YKK zips later on. If you ever look at the Junya X Vanson leathers, you see they use the same exact front zip as we do. It's the same part in a bright finish.
    Speaking of leather, here's a story I just posted up on SuFu Alright fools, let's get back to manlier shit: leather. This is pretty badass. My buddy and I were at a house party. He had just received his sample calfskin moto, so of course he's wearing it. Free microbrew kegs, pretty girls, the party is fun, the house is actually nice, and... the owner has a fucking pit bull that was on the rag. Seriously. Bitch had a doggy maxi pad on (0). That thing hated all dudes but nuzzled up to girls; it was kind of fascinating. Long story short, at the end of the night, that fucker rears up and bites my friend in the arm, unprovoked. He said he accidentally made a fast movement toward the owner but I don't remember that. Luckily the owner was right there and got the dog off of him right away. This is the jacket. The highlighted parts are where the dog's teeth left dents. No tears, no holes, just three dents. So you're thinking, so what? Probably wasn't a hard bite. [​IMG] YOU THOUGHT WRONG, BITCH. The highlighted parts are the same toothmarks. [​IMG] TOJ IS YOUR NEW ARMOR. If the calfskin can protect that much, I want to see what the horsehide can do.

4. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I just remembered I really want a Seabag, but I'm waiting to see what the rest of the bags (especially the Daypack) look like first. I don't think anything's gonna dissuade me from getting that minimalist DR, but I should be breaking silver level by year's end. awesome.

Here's for suede steezy backpacks.

5. stick

stick Senior member

Fuuu may have to get a dark grey band collar DR in addition to my blacked out 2010 DR. Can't wait to see pics of that thing.

6. bony boy

bony boy Well-Known Member

Is the lambskin used in the red minimalist dr the same stuff used on the sleeves of the WV? That stuff is buttery soft, but I feel like if I owned a dr made with it, it'd be shreds after about 6 months...

7. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Different leathers. And there is no red minimalist DR(yet).

8. bony boy

bony boy Well-Known Member

Different lambskins, or WV sleeves are made of something else? Says there is "bright red" at http://templeofjawnz.com/?page_id=310 . Anyway so the DR is more durable? that's good. I've only had my wv for a few months and it's starting to get nicks and small tears in the sleeves.

9. Lupo

Lupo Well-Known Member

Collared Moto in suede would it be a lighter jacket (breathe more?) than leather....better for fall?

10. umhaha84

umhaha84 Senior member

Surprised nobody is asking for nubuck. I own a black nubuck jacket and its pretty nice. Ages nicely with waxed kind of texture

11. quasky

quasky Senior member

re: questions of lamb's durability, i've been wearing the shit out of my lamb moto for close to a year - like, getting fall-down drunk in it, storing it in a heap on the floor, etc. it's picked up some good nicks and scrapes, but i think they've just added character, and construction-wise, it's in fantastic shape. i'll try to take some evo pics tonight.

12. mongo615

mongo615 Senior member

Wow! that collared Moto is Niiiiiccccceeeeee!...would it be possible to get it with the snap down collar, like the moto? Perfect color, too. Great work, guys![​IMG]

Wtf this dude talkin about?

I meant the snap down collar like the Bomber

13. melonadejello

melonadejello Senior member

Surprised nobody is asking for nubuck. I own a black nubuck jacket and its pretty nice. Ages nicely with waxed kind of texture

Yep...I have a goat nubuck coat from Vincent & Vincent and it's gorgeous

14. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

went upstairs and saw my girlfriend sleeping, and the beagle was there laying in my spot, kind of mocking me with this fake-dead sleeping position and one eye open, looking at me. Then I started thinking about the band-collar DR again, came downstairs for a smoke, and here I am at 5:48am.... [​IMG]

I thought you

broke up with your girlfriend?

15. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

That english style DR on page 133 pictured with the new two styles looks great broken in. Was that lamb or calf?