TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

also, like a restaurant, the point of this was never for me to get Ralph Lauren rich - the point, after I got serious about it, was to make a living and maybe get some money to start a restaurant I want to do, keep making clothes as well, maybe do some other stuff. So I'm doing that over time...once I've scratched that itch maybe I'll get into painting pictures of naked Korean girls and live like Foujita. Just tryin' different shit out. [​IMG]

2. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

^Very true, but some stores have a large following just cause. Epaulet doesn't do any discounts and their shit sells very well, and I believe the only difference between them and ToJ is that ToJ does bigger ticket items. And I dont' think Drew is offering discounts like Farinelli's is, just from the looks of it it's already for people who are basically established customers who have a lot and will probably buy more. He's not really offering stuff for the varsity dudes afterall

ToJ restaurant would be cool as fuck. I can just imagine how baller the decoration would be

3. impolyt_one

what im trying to say is that i think at the end of the day, no matter how many people hype up the product etc, what really matters is who's buying what. people love to talk about how much they LOVE something, but most people on the internet have no real brand loyalty and do whatever they can to get a discount. i don't blame em, or disagree with em, but it can hurt brands and it can hurt stores. as i said: i saw mauro get eaten alive by this and it sucked.

man, I know all of this, that is why I only have one discount, and it's not a tote bag discount like that.

4. impolyt_one

^Very true, but some stores have a large following just cause. Epaulet doesn't do any discounts and their shit sells very well, and I believe the only difference between them and ToJ is that ToJ does bigger ticket items. And I dont' think Drew is offering discounts like Farinelli's is, just from the looks of it it's already for people who are basically established customers who have a lot and will probably buy more. He's not really offering stuff for the varsity dudes afterall

Epaulet, Farinelli's - very different beasts from Toj. Epaulet has a 'curated' mix of their American menswear, they have some shirts and pants and collabo stuff like shoes and jackets - that is because they spend mega money to make runs of stuff and work in a conventional way. Toj, well, I had no money and I had a stack of A4 paper, some tape and pencils, and I realized I have to make everything from scratch and so I work from my head to do that.

5. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

It's kind of hard to pull the trigger when you are revealing stuff slowly. First the 2011 DR, then the collared moto, then the 3rd DR and then there might still be a 2011 bomber and suede options? I think you might sell more once all are revealed.
    drew said the other two jackets he hasn't revealed yet are a suede baseball jacket and a band collar DR. i was really hoping for an updated bomber, but in terms of how much that jacket can change stylistically without deviating too much from the design, it can probably change very little. however, i think ToJ's target demographic aren't old guys who only buy the most accurate repro A-2's, but young guys who want a cool leather jacket, so i'm gonna just wait until he does decide to upgrade it to something with a little more detailing. for now, i'll set my sights on a mega-pirate 2011 DR. and in the meantime try to make a little unicorn patch i can sew onto my jackets. i don't care that i have a 2010 DR already, despite what all my friends tell me. it's just that much a different animal.

6. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

these pictures make me regret buying a dr of b&s and not direct. do not makes the same mistake i did guyz :[

that being said, i know that none of these jackets are necessarily THAT expensive at all, especially given their construction/quality/competition. But drew, i think you'd get more purchases if you could do some down payment system that covered ALL your expenses to make, and they paid the rest in a little. Could get messy quick, i know; but it would also help commit people faster.

As a college kid, i'm not yet mature enough to keep my eyes on the prize. Its not hard for me to make 700-800 dollars for an insane jacket, but its pretty hard to save that much without buying other stuff in between. Makes it hard to reach that ToJ; but if i payed a down payment of 400-500, it would commit me to it earlier know what i'm saying.

I dont know if it would make sense from a business standpoint, but it would sure make me happy to know production has started on my jacket, and that i could "purchase" the rights to it earlier.

sorry for ramblings

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

lol what a down payment system would be a disaster. toj on layaway? no.

8. bryanayrb

bryanayrb Senior member

these pictures make me regret buying a dr of b&s and not direct. do not makes the same mistake i did guyz :[

that being said, i know that none of these jackets are necessarily THAT expensive at all, especially given their construction/quality/competition. But drew, i think you'd get more purchases if you could do some down payment system that covered ALL your expenses to make, and they paid the rest in a little. Could get messy quick, i know; but it would also help commit people faster.

As a college kid, i'm not yet mature enough to keep my eyes on the prize. Its not hard for me to make 700-800 dollars for an insane jacket, but its pretty hard to save that much without buying other stuff in between. Makes it hard to reach that ToJ; but if i payed a down payment of 400-500, it would commit me to it earlier know what i'm saying.

I dont know if it would make sense from a business standpoint, but it would sure make me happy to know production has started on my jacket, and that i could "purchase" the rights to it earlier.

sorry for ramblings

yo.. this is an awful idea

9. impolyt_one

it might seem slow, but on our side, stuff goes very quickly. There's clothing constantly being made and talked about during all the hours we're not sleeping, or eating, basically. It's just waiting for your food... but we need all the money upfront because my markup is so low and my costs are high. If these jackets went into stores they'd have to priced at like $1500 or more to make money, so that's why I work this way. It's my own niche.

10. Nil

Nil Senior member

Terribad layaway idea. Get your fiscal responsibility up, kid. Hell, buy a piggy bank you need to break open to stuff your dollars into if you have issues with spending it.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

i just want to emphasize how terrible of an idea that was. damn.

12. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Senior member

I kind of got a migraine halfway into his idea and had to stop for breath.

I'm actually impressed by the pacing of all this moreso than the individual pieces, as such. Getting production samples of 5 leather jacket designs in this space of time, even if they are modifications of existing ones, is a pretty impressive piece of work.

Onward and upward.

13. impolyt_one

Annnnnnnyyywayyyyyy dudes, I'm about to go to bed. Shit's been real. Any last questions or comments before I knock myself out for 10 hrs? [​IMG]

14. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

yes. please dream about ways to update the bomber [​IMG]

15. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I could be annoying and ask if my jacket has shipped yet. But I won't. I guess I should ask, any customizability on the design of the shirts? Ie, if someone didn't want a pocket or epaulets or something.