• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Distress or Not to Distress Jeans or Model Beat Down at MIA

ragcondesk

Reaction score
A few months back I attended a party for MIA students (Maryland Institute of Art) and the talk came around to clothing. Most of the guys checked out but several female students and models were seemingly fascinated when I told them about SF’s aversion to store distressed denim and/or graphic t’s. I wound up taking a group of interested folks to the back room and proceeded to show them SF and the various put downs and hatred directed towards such. For some reason this elicited so much laughter and hostility that I was surprised.
I must weigh in that I think the elitist view that there is one ‘correct’ style is silly. I have worn dark blue untouched denim for the last 20 years as well as super distressed and do not discount any one style. After all, it does get down to the micro as to clothing worn to the point of looking distressed VS a (well done) factory job.
For the next 3 or 4 hours the girls took relish in showing me every ‘hot’ movie star, celebrity, rock star etc… that recently wore distressed jeans. In fact, aside from a few obscure bands and the SF selvedge crew I admit I had a very hard time finding dark, untouched denim on ‘hunks’.
There was a ton of 9’s and 10’s at the party who unanimously agreed that they liked guys in the distressed look. Some of the comments about the plain t/ clean jean look went from ugly to downright insulting. Only one girl said she preferred the ‘clean’ look and hated anything distressed and she was (only reporting truth) both overweight and unattractively dressed.
At the end of the day I wear what I like and could care less what anyone thinks but It did leave me thinking that I used to dress for the feminine sex.

Did I mention I was wearing plain linen Varvatos T, sd xxx-28’s and Visvim Kiefers? I am guessing they were all snickering behind my back as it was the sa’s that brought up the whole damn conversation in the first place….

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind all distressed jeans.... It's just the type I like isn't done with sandpaper by 10 year olds in China.

Also since I think about .0001% of women have any real grasp on what men's style is, I tend not too care too much about their opinions. Sure I don't want them to run away in horror, but impressing them is not my top concern when picking out clothes.

Oh and celebrities dress horribly in general, even if they are rich. There are very few celebrities who I think have any real style. Unless you count style as wearing whatever the "it brand" is at the moment.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ragcondesk
CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS CORNY WHITE GIRLS
I thought everyone knew not to take advice from girls, ESPECIALLY CWG's. If I took fashion advice from CWG's around me I'd wear striped button downs, boot cut jeans, and square toe shoes then eventually kill myself.

I wear what I want, take stupid chances, and now have a pretty solid reputation amongst my friends as a guy who wears weird **** - but has good style. I'd like to see what you're wearing to keep you from getting laid, or, that gets you laid on sight.

jefe

Reaction score
Man, the font used by the OP is absolutely brutal.

In other news, if you want to score college broads, dress appropriately.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also 9/10 Baltimore art girls? 6/7 tops in real life.

(Speaking from personal experience)

ragcondesk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
Also 9/10 Baltimore art girls? 6/7 tops in real life.

(Speaking from personal experience)

Wholeheartedly agree! To their credit most were not from B'More/MD. It was the models who, IMHO, are in the business who I thought might be more open-minded perhaps? That said, one of the hottest - a very young Italian beauty - said she loved guys in Ed Hardy T's. 'nuff said?

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wound up taking a group of interested folks to the back room and proceeded to show them SF and the various put downs and hatred directed towards such. For some reason this elicited so much laughter and hostility that I was surprised.

Protip: Don't try to justify your style to real people by showing them a forum. That sort of thing normally comes off as very douchey, and you left yourself open to the pics of poorly dressed celebrities. A lot of people do have poor taste, and in their mind any random movie star trumps a well dressed person who isn't rich or famous.

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
At the end of the day I wear what I like and could care less what anyone thinks...

This is the way to go. Dress to impress others, and you'll always find at least half a dozen people that don't like what you've thrown together. Dress to impress yourself, and you will almost never be dissapointed.

June

Reaction score
Raw denim is a guy thing. If you ever meet a (hot) girl who's into it, I suggest you marry her ASAP.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF is not a means to justify what you're wearing. Come here to see what other's are wearing for ideas, learn about different brands and where to get them, and to learn about construction and the details of clothes, but "It's SF-approved!" is not going to change anyone's mind about what you're wearing. If you like it and feel confident in it, it will look better to others, and you'll might change some minds about "the clean look". Most people are sheep, and using movie stars as justification for what looks good proves it. Using SF as a justification for what looks good isn't that much different.

DBoon

Reaction score
First of all, you totally miss the ******* point. The idea is to BEAT the **** out of your raw denim until it IS distressed...

...unfabricated, personally achieved distressing IS the goal. A byproduct of many hours of use by a garment that is unquestionably superior on a stress-quality level to pre-distressed denim jeans.

The reason you see more pictures of dark blue denim around here is because most people have not achieved that distressing yet (with that pair).

And dressing for the express purpose of picking up chicks is Insecure Douchebagerry 101, so who cares what your hypothetical Italian model friend thinks. It's been said many times in many places here, but if people really just wanted to dress for girls, they'd wear nothing but label-ridden dogshit and call it a day. At least personally, I came to places like this to find the best quality : price ratio I could find, all I really care about is durability and a good fit in subtle color.

So "Re: To Distress or Not to Distress Jeans or Model Beat Down at MIA", the answer is "Who really cares what anyone else thinks, if someone wants to wear True Religion jeans with an Ed Hardy shirt to get head I couldn't give less of a ****, let the MIA girls finish their degree In Graphic Design so they can seek employment doing web graphics for some destined-to-fail soho-esque boutique and end up passed out in a pool of their own vomit on a studio apartment floor, living off their parents money until they meet their future husband at a TV On The Radio concert and buy some low cost housing downtown and throw a Franzia party with vegan h'ourderves to talk about the virtues of their consumption-side gentrification."

Tourangh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Protip: Don't try to justify your style to real people by showing them a forum. That sort of thing normally comes off as very douchey, and you left yourself open to the pics of poorly dressed celebrities. A lot of people do have poor taste, and in their mind any random movie star trumps a well dressed person who isn't rich or famous.

+1 You will get nothing but funny looks if you tell people you learn about style from random guys on the internet by chatting and sharing pictures of each other.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
First of all, you totally miss the ******* point. The idea is to BEAT the **** out of your raw denim until it IS distressed...

...unfabricated, personally achieved distressing IS the goal. A byproduct of many hours of use by a garment that is unquestionably superior on a stress-quality level to pre-distressed denim jeans.

Actually, my favorite raw jean state is when they have well defined creases but still look raw. The more worn in my jeans get, the less they match the style I'm going for.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon

So "Re: To Distress or Not to Distress Jeans or Model Beat Down at MIA", the answer is "Who really cares what anyone else thinks, if someone wants to wear True Religion jeans with an Ed Hardy shirt to get head I couldn't give less of a ****, let the MIA girls finish their degree In Graphic Design so they can seek employment doing web graphics for some destined-to-fail soho-esque boutique and end up passed out in a pool of their own vomit on a studio apartment floor, living off their parents money until they meet their future husband at a TV On The Radio concert and buy some low cost housing downtown and throw a Franzia party with vegan h'ourderves to talk about the virtues of their consumption-side gentrification."

FTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads