• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonServiam

Reaction score

I agree, but I think the MUT Moon bridges the gap: yes, it can be worn as a pure dress watch for formal occasions, but in my opinion it is a true go-anywhere, do-anything watch (short of actual sporting activities). It can be worn in almost every situation and with almost every wardrobe. I have it's bigger (but not "bigger") brother, the Perpetual Ultrathin, and it is almost as flexible. Short of true formal occasions, mine wears equally well with a suit, with jeans, with shorts and a tshirt, etc.

But the MUT Moon is even more flexible and a classic--elegant complications but not complicated. A very clean and elegant design. And while not razor thin like a true ultrathin, it's impressively thin for an automatic.

My one critique of the JLC silver-faced dials is that they don't use contrasting hands/indices on them, so they are harder to read. For that reason I prefer the black dial version (and is the reason I spent the extra coin for the WG perp ultrathin instead of the steel version--the steel's hands got lost on the silver dial, especially the subdial hands). However, that same issue many folks would consider a strong selling point in favor of the silver dial--it is more subtle, which is a nice feature in a dressier watch. Finally, I note that the moon complication will likely have more "pop" on the silver dial--the darker background of the moon disc is more camouflaged on the black face.

Great choice either way.

I have to agree with the previous gentleman's every point! The watch is amazingly versatile, and the silver dial very handsome. And true enough, silver on silver can be hard to read. Its major fault in my eyes is that it can appear almost bland in its perfectness. It is symmetric, well-balanced and unoffensive to the extreme. But the moon phase adds just the right amount of playfulness as a counterweight.

I have yet to see the black dial in person, but it looks like a choice only down to personal taste. The black looks awesome!

I collected a few pics of my MUT Moon ...

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My head tells me that I should like Nomos, but for whatever reason my heart has always felt otherwise.

By all accounts they do things quote-unquote the right way, and offer some of the best value for $$$ in the whole wide world of watches.

Couldn't agree more. Appreciate great engineering, great value for money, now in-house movements, fairly clean designs--but they don't pull at my emotions at all, and that's ultimately what makes me love a watch long-term. Teutonic emotionality being oxymoronic we'll shelve for later?

I recently acquired a Nomos Ahoi Atlantik and before getting it, I had only seen a Nomos in the flesh once (a Tangente) and I agree that they are so clean and simple looking almost bordering on generic. The thing that sold me on mine though was that I knew the fit and finish would be fantastic at that price point. After receiving mine, I definitely wasn't disappointed and it's definitely gorgeous and I do enjoy it but it's so cold looking that I don't know if I'll form an emotional attachment to it, if that makes any sense.

ezlau

Reaction score
Another Carrera added to the collection. This time a 2447N Carrera which I have hunted for over a year. This one's a special one with a Silver Script for the dial instead of the normal white script. Love the aged creamy lume on the hands. :embar:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Not a much celebrated maker in the TWATosphere, but I rather like that. Very retro, and I agree about the hands.

NonServiam

Reaction score

Another Carrera added to the collection. This time a 2447N Carrera which I have hunted for over a year. This one's a special one with a Silver Script for the dial instead of the normal white script. Love the aged creamy lume on the hands. :embar:

Awesome Heuer! I definitely lack a Carrera in my collection, but otherwise Heuer has been (and still is) well represented. Sporty but classy, true racing pedigree.

@mimo, while TAG Heuer certainly doesn't get a lot of love here, I think the various true vintage Heuers such as this have always been well received. As well they should!

Regarding TAG and Carrera, I think the recent reinterpretations have been spot on!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the various true vintage Heuers such as this have always been well received. As well they should!

Regarding TAG and Carrera, I think the recent reinterpretations have been spot on!
The vintage Heuers are great watches and as you said have real racing pedigree and are beautiful watches.

After TAG took over they made a lot of insignificant watches with basic quartz movements and gold plated bracelets etc.

The modern Carreras demonstrate that the brand is moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of those vintage Heuers - have my eyes open for a well priced 60s chrono at auction. Really sporty and classic. Beautiful on a perforated strap.

NigelStein

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Speedmaster Reduced, 3510.50? I wanted the Speedmaster Pro but I have damn small wrists and not enough cash. Looks like I could get a near mint one around $1200.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Very helpful and insightful. I've got the money right now but it's not a small purchase for me either so I'm in no hurry. If I get my Q1 bonus I'll probably pull the trigger Heritage Ranger.

I'd call them investments in the sense that I plan on having them forever as I think both the Heritage Ranger and the Black Bays are great looking watches. That said I've read opinions and articles that the Black Bay could appreciate in value. That said I'm not by any means banking on it and am getting simply because I like it, but that would be an added bonus.

I hope Tudor continues down the Heritage line, just not too fast so I can keep pace.

Last edited:

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Wearing a classic today, perfect for a sunny start to the weekend.. Shirtsleeves for chilling at the club and sportcoat later for dinner.. HAGWE folks! :slayer:

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score

Any thoughts on the Speedmaster Reduced, 3510.50? I wanted the Speedmaster Pro but I have damn small wrists and not enough cash. Looks like I could get a near mint one around $1200.

I looked at one when I bought my Speedy Pro. Quite liked it. Neat size. Looks nice. But you miss out on the Speedy 'Pro' part, the movement, etc. There's a bit online about this, but I understand that the redcued size is an ETA movement with a chrono grafted on top, hence the pushers are at a different level, rather than the integrated Speedy Pro movement. Or something like that. On balance I preferred the Pro and the size worked for me. If you're not fussed about the history and the movement and just like the look and size then the reduced size looks good value to me.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
50 shades of green. I don't think I'll ever tire of this watch...and to think I was hesitant about green initially. I'm debating stopping at the Reis Nichols watch event today. Thanks to this thread, I find myself gazing more into the AP case. My wallet will stay home as an extra precaution.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

50 shades of green. I don't think I'll ever tire of this watch...and to think I was hesitant about green initially. I'm debating stopping at the Reis Nichols watch event today. Thanks to this thread, I find myself gazing more into the AP case. My wallet will stay home as an extra precaution.
I was just there Thursday, had a fabulous time. I spent most of my time at the AP, Patek, and Rolex cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads