• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Like it or not, you can't form an opinion about the dial unless you see it in person. It changes at every angle and I haven't found another blue dial that touches what that one does for me in the metal (and there are a lot of blue dials I like). If it doesn't speak to you it doesn't speak to you, but that dial definitely fits the price tag.

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
I love everything about FPJ but I'd hesitate to pull the trigger as I've heard the servicing costs are terrifying and there is always risk with a small, standalone manufacture.

On the subject of Rolexes and travel, I've worn my 42mm ExII in all sorts of places in Africa, India, Asia, with not so much as a mention, but I don't tend to rough it. Its a pretty low-key watch though. I think if you find yourself in the wrong side of town whatever watch you're wearing could make you a target - I'm not sure thieves are that discerning. As Dino says, if you don't want to risk it, don't take it. Personally, having it as my travel watch and it having some tales to tell give it its character; to me that's worth the risk.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I like the BLUE, mimo.

Very inspired choice!

Suits that Longines quite nicely, methinks.

Maybe just to match the column wheel? Thanks!

Unless you wear your watch upside down, I think you always have to look at aesthetics first, and then the guts second.

I can understand why someone would or wouldn't like the aesthetics of the dial and layout. It's a very personal thing. But I do think the movement is a fundamental part of the value proposition in many cases: on a much cheaper level, the maker-specific (even though it's ETA) column wheel movement is a major part of why I wanted the watch above: it just pleased me as a pretty, well-conceived piece for the money.

The FPJ is ten times the price of course, but it's spectacular in build and finish. And I think the fact that much of its beauty is hidden from the casual observer is a plus: a beautiful gold movement is your own little aficionado's secret. A chunky gold bracelet would cost as much, but look much more like it was to show to others. Of course either is fine depending on your taste and mood, but I rather prefer the idea that my hand-welted shoes or tailored suit or would only look "nice" to most people, while the real quality is for me to know and enjoy without shouting about it.

One day I will have a properly fabulous watch, God willing - a Lange perhaps. And it will work the same way: I will enjoy looking into that caseback, feeling the weight of the platinum, and knowing I have something special, while others will just see a smart silvery watch. Fine by me. And of course, those observant and knowledgeable types who might actually notice, can be appreciated for it. So I might not spend $20k on a FP Journe. But I can understand why one might. And the real life pictures definitely press some pleasure buttons; I'd love to see one in person.

Last edited:

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to see the FPJ CB in person. The hue of the blue dial changes from every direction you look at it. It's just a beaut. Can't wait til I get mine. There isn't a waiting list to speak of. I've been to 3 boutiques recently and in every location it was in stock.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stock photos do not do the FPJ CB justice. Some in the flesh internet pictures seems to show it off better.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Unless you wear your watch upside down, I think you always have to look at aesthetics first, and then the guts second. I just don't think it's anything that spectacular for the amount of attention it receives. Basically a blue dial with a white circle, oversized numbers, and an offset second dial. Of course, I haven't seen it in person, but it's nothing earth shattering from photos.
It's also designed to be a relatively simple dress watch. Most simple dress watches don't scream spectacular on the surface. The dial is it's show off aspect rather than the case, which I suppose can be a bit boring compared to gold, but is still quite well finished. If you look at other similar watches in the price range, to steal from Hodinkee, do the ALS Saxonia or Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle Small Seconds scream spectacular to you personally from the dial and case alone? Personally I love fairly simple dress watches, so I like all 3 with the FPJ as my favorite (hands, dial, and movement tipping the scales) and the VC as a close second. Given your previous posts, I'm guessing simple dress watches in general don't speak to you as much, but I could be wrong.

vakta

Reaction score
And a couple more Panerai - posing for the lens...

PAM195
195_Burgundy3.jpg

PAM98 on pre-V strap
98_Historic1.jpg

WOW! Nice one. Surely go for it.

tigerpac

Reaction score
I love everything about FPJ but I'd hesitate to pull the trigger as I've heard the servicing costs are terrifying and there is always risk with a small, standalone manufacture.

It's $1500+/- and you get new straps included ($400 retail). Turn around time is supposed to very good.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's also designed to be a relatively simple dress watch. Most simple dress watches don't scream spectacular on the surface. The dial is it's show off aspect rather than the case, which I suppose can be a bit boring compared to gold, but is still quite well finished. If you look at other similar watches in the price range, to steal from Hodinkee, do the ALS Saxonia or Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle Small Seconds scream spectacular to you personally from the dial and case alone? Personally I love fairly simple dress watches, so I like all 3 with the FPJ as my favorite (hands, dial, and movement tipping the scales) and the VC as a close second. Given your previous posts, I'm guessing simple dress watches in general don't speak to you as much, but I could be wrong.

I think there are ranges of dressy to a "dress watch." If I wanted one for very formal, my favorite is the Patek 5119R, which is a fairly simple dial yet very elegant I think. If I'm looking for something less dressy, then I think I want more out of the dial/design.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
If the FPJ doesn't meet your dress watch needs, then I totally get that POV.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I'm a big FPJ fan in general. I think Stitchy asked your current top 3 watch makers a little while back, and FPJ was on my list.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The FPJ is really something you have to see in person. The tantalum case is heavy like platinum, the strap is top-notch, the dial plays with the light like no other dial I've ever seen, and the rose gold movement with the hidden gear train is something else. The one complaint I have with it is it's a huge PITA to wind -- the crown is tiny and it hurts my fingers to wind.

That being said, there's plenty of watches I'd buy for $20k before the FPJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads