1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

No I wouldnt search for an original...the original is nice but the modern version is probably a better choice for daily wear.It's also very tough to find the original Jumbo in good shape. Many are tired and would need a very costly restoration (which can only be done in Switerland... and that's if they are not too far gone). Also I hear the tube on the originals are quite weak and break easily so you shouldn't get them wet. A friend found one & bought it but it had been poorly polished and many of the beautiful beveled edges of the case & bracelet were polished away by and idiot watch maker not truly familiar with AP. He sold it & said he should have bought a nice modern one and then he'd have kept it.

Not sure what you mean by extra logo. There is only one applied AP at 6 on the current 15202, same as the original. The smaller font on the dial of the original, is nice but doesn't matter much to me, as the only thing that would change is the name Audemars Piguet would be written slightly smaller (its also not like a Rolex with 4 lines of writing). Overall the new one is really impressive. They did an amazing job with this assignment bringing forth all of the important attributes of the original, but also giving this watch some nice features not found on the original, such as the saphire crystal back to admire the famous ultra thin cal 2120, the blue date wheel (making it more subtle than the white of the original), and the new bracelet and clasp are big improvements.

The original is a great watch! It created a genre of watches that didn't previously exist. Many other brands followed with models such as the Nautilus, 222, Laureato, Ingenieur Jumbo SL, but the RO was the original. I think an original RO would be great if I only collected AP, and it was going to be more of a museum piece rather than getting wrist time. The original and the modern versions are both great, and I'm really happy with the one I have.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

deal, that sounds great. i hope we can make it happen.

3. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Here is an original sketch by Genta:
    [​IMG]
    Note that there is no AP logo (at 6:00 or anywhere), just the name spelled out. It is possible that the final design was different - I didn't look at that.
    In any case, thank you for your response. It was very helpful.

Edit: Here is an image of the final, original version from AP's site. You are correct - there is a logo at 6:00[​IMG]
    I prefer the smaller font size on the original, but the darker date wheel on the reprise, so it is a wash design-wise, in which case I agree that new is better.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

4. in stitches

i really hope to have an exciting post to make here in the next few days.

5. Dino944

Stitch, how about a hint? Is it related to a Panerai?

6. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

Tease.

In the meantime, here's Pizza Face.

[​IMG]

7. Sander

Sander Distinguished Member

What happened to the dial?

8. in stitches

:nodding:

9. Dino944

Excellent...I look forward to seeing some pix soon!

10. in stitches

as do i. and i will happily provide them as soon as it arrives. :fonz:

11. Hampton

Hampton Distinguished Member

Love it.

12. Belligero

Belligero Distinguished Member

Nice. In the meantime, here's a photo of the GMT II on leather.

[​IMG]

I used to be racist against the glossy dial and WG marker surrounds on the newer watch, compared to the matte GMTs, but I can see the design sense of having the dial and hands match, too. I still think the GMT II looks goofy on a nylon NATO, though.

13. Kaplan

Kaplan Distinguished Member

I really like the first Jumbo with the solid case back but agree that the new one is very well designed - not sure which I'd actually prefer.

For those of you with the new 15202, does it have the same font for the date as the original 5402?

[​IMG]

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

About darn time! I need to join the Panerai club at some point. I think I would go with the base Rad though.

I am looking forward to some pics!

15. in stitches

the 210? pat of what took me so long was deciding between the 210 and the 112. stay tuned!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.