Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

1964 pie pan Omega Constellation. I just picked it up a few days ago and it seems pretty happy on my wrist so far. I know vintage isn't exciting to everyone here, but I honestly enjoy the patina on the original dial, as well as the fact that someone was living life and doing who-knows-what with this on his wrist before my parents even met. [​IMG]

2. whacked

whacked Senior member

Received a few straps today so thought I would post some photos for fun. Dial up beware[​IMG] I am also hoping to get my hands on one of a few Ball watches I have been looking at, in the next couple of weeks[​IMG]
    I like the new Laco x Rios strap combo, not as 'stealthy' as the classic black on black aviator look, but a good look nonetheless.

Do post pics when you get the Night Train. BTW, does that mean you're not getting the 80th anni. MO?

1964 pie pan Omega Constellation. I just picked it up a few days ago and it seems pretty happy on my wrist so far. I know vintage isn't exciting to everyone here, but I honestly enjoy the patina on the original dial, as well as the fact that someone was living life and doing who-knows-what with this on his wrist before my parents even met.

Great watch.[​IMG] Have you tried it on a medium brown strap w/ yellow stitching?

3. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

Great watch.[​IMG] Have you tried it on a medium brown strap w/ yellow stitching?

Thanks! It's still wearing the same so-so strap it came with. I was thinking of getting maybe something in croc leather, but a plain calf with yellow stitching would be kind of cool/unexpected on an older watch like this.

4. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

i swapped out the tacky light brown oem strap on my cheap gruen automatic watch with a cheap but very beautiful strap i found to my liking at Sears of all places, and now it looks very beautiful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Titus 18K 17jewels certified chronometer. "non magnetic" ca 1950's (from grandfather) one of several [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Restored recently for 500$, more out of effecional value than anny thing.[​IMG]

6. kali77

kali77 Senior member

I like the new Laco x Rios strap combo, not as 'stealthy' as the classic black on black aviator look, but a good look nonetheless. Do post pics when you get the Night Train. BTW, does that mean you're not getting the 80th anni. MO?
    Thanks. I am going to pick up a similar strap in black as well[​IMG] I think the Stowa is out right now, and the Night Train not at the top of the list. Here is the current list I have come up with in this order most likely Ball Fireman Ionosphere Chronograph- black dial Ball Engineer Master II Moonphase- white dial Sinn U1 Ocean 7 LM-2 Ball Night Train Stowa Airman No Label Sinn 903 ST Silver Dial I think it will be a year endeavor with a hold on any major clothing purchases.

7. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Have you seen the Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT , found a press on TZ but no info on the brand site. Realy like the watch. So if somebody has anny intel ...

8. kali77

kali77 Senior member

Have you seen the Ball Engineer Master II Diver TMT , found a press on TZ but no info on the brand site. Realy like the watch. So if somebody has anny intel ...
    I have not see this model in person yet. No sure what info you are looking for, but there is info on the net( mostly on the LE model) http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=2704596&rid=0 http://www.worldlux.com/cgi-bin/navi...+LE&dept=WATCH http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu7b_R1...IIDiverTMT.doc 3rd link is a Word file There is a lot more if you do a search, or you could try calling Topper's fine jewelry or another AD dealer.

9. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

1964 pie pan Omega Constellation.
    [​IMG]

Dumb question - why do they call this a pie pan dial?

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dumb question - why do they call this a pie pan dial?
    Because the 3-D shape of the dial looks like an upside-down pie pan, unlike typically flat 2-D dials

[​IMG]

11. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Gotcha - thanks.

12. sammy

sammy Senior member

What's the general consensus on Glashutte Original watches? How do they compare to to other brands like IWC, and A. Lange & Sohne? I really like the look of the Senator Karree Automatic:
    [​IMG]

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I love love love love Glashutte Orginal (not a fan of the Karee line though).

AL&S: GO is a bit more "obtainable" by having steel cases. I would liken then in design and movement finishing.

IWC: Aside from some Port. models most of the GO watches are a bit more "refined" and finished in dial and movement than a "hardier" (Aquatimer, Pilot, Ingeniur, Spitfire) brand like IWC. But, in some cases more "obtainable" than GO whose lowest MSRP that I can think of is $5,800.

14. sammy

sammy Senior member

Thanks SoCal2NYC. Which GO model would you suggest for a versatile everyday watch? I'm not a fan of obscenely oversized watches that are so popular today. I have a small wrist and prefer something less than 40mm in diameter that is refined and understated.

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Well I own the PanoReserve and it is by far my favorite. After that I really like the Senator 60s for a dressy watch and the SportEVo for a sports watch.
    But, maybe the Senator Chrono in a grey dial with a brown croc strap would work for both work and play? Priced at $6,800 MSRP you could grey market it or TimeZone.com Sales Corner for probably $3,000-$4,000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.