The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Less gibberish ranting.
    More watch pr0n needed.
    At this point I'll even settle for Christopher [email protected]

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

1. Arguing functionality of mechanical watches is a losing battle. A Timex keeps better time. The whole point of mechanical wristwatches is their artistry as micro-sculptures. This is as much how they look as it is how they work, if not more so.

In absolute terms, you are right: mechanical watches have no functionality advantages. However, within the limitations of mechanical watchmaking, functionality is still an appreciable measure. Afterall, understanding functionality in any context depends on definable limitations--whether they are natural or self-imposed.

2. The whole point of chatons is the tradition of their use. How can you argue they have no founding in watchmaking tradition? Perhaps they have no founding in Lange's tradition, but I hardly see how that it is an argument for why Lange, which as you suggest is effectively a new company, should not use them. That's like saying a brand new tailor who has never cut a suit before should use Brooks Brothers' electronic measurement thingy, because he, personally, has no tradition of taking measurements by hand. While that is clearly true, I fail to say how it is an argument against his employing old techniques as a nod to the meaningful tradition of his trade.

You misread me. I did not say chatons have no foundation in watchmaking. I said they have no foundation in the development of wristwatch movements and Lange never made wristwatches (not really, at least). Every other major maker which moved on from pocket watches to wristwatches, ditched the chatons decades and decades ago because they no longer served a purpose. In fact, I think many makers ditched them even before moving on to wristwatches.

What Lange has done is taken a Corinthian column and cemented it to the top of newly-built Georgian-style mansion. Never mind that Georgian mansions never had Corinthian columns stuck on top of them--they look fancy and they have a foundation in architecture.

Your comparison to Brooks Brothers' electronic measurement machine doesn't work. If such a device was actually better at measuring clients and produced better-fitting garments, without any other sacrifices in quality, I'd want my tailor to use one, too.

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Hey fan, you could have at least sent a thank you note for my PM last night.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Using off-the-shelf ebauches and modifying them is firmly grounded in Dirk Dornblueth's history. Always had, from day one. This is the DD&S tradition. That should make him OK, right?

Ok, allow me to solve this debate, post a picture of the watch and I'll tell you if it looks nice.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Ok, allow me to solve this debate, post a picture of the watch and I'll tell you if it looks nice.
    What!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't tell anything about a watch from what it looks like on the side you actually see!!!!! Heathen.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Every other major maker which moved on from pocket watches to wristwatches, ditched the chatons decades and decades ago because they no longer served a purpose.

This simply isn't true.

[​IMG]

7. Fuuma

What!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't tell anything about a watch from what it looks like on the side you actually see!!!!! Heathen.

Hey I'm all about the urological tradishion.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This post and below (including the post where I write that I find foo's 5001 movement far superior to the DD 99.2...)

9. Fuuma

This post and below (including the post where I write that I find foo's 5001 movement far superior to the DD 99.2...)

So it's a custom company? (heard the name before but it was probably in this thread). The watch is much too thick for my taste but it certainly doesn't look bad, especially considering all the stuff that is going on.

Is the 5001 almost the same? Are they similarly priced?

10. gdl203

So it's a custom company? (heard the name before but it was probably in this thread). The watch is much too thick for my taste but it certainly doesn't look bad, especially considering all the stuff that is going on.

Is the 5001 almost the same? Are they similarly priced?

Not a custom company in the sense that they make waht you want. They have a handful of models but since they make the watches to order, they can include some customer requests and modifications (e.g. engraving name instead of serial # on bridges).

The Port dial layout has some similarities (two subdials for power reserve and seconds) but otherwise is a very different watch. Pellaton movement is a great automatic movement, case shape and size are a bit different - less height/diameter ratio than the DD which is indeed a bit chunky. Prices are completely different (Port more expensive), so are distribution channels, ordering process, customer relationship, production output, etc....

11. Fuuma

Not a custom company in the sense that they make waht you want. They have a handful of models but since they make the watches to order, they can include some customer requests and modifications (e.g. engraving name instead of serial # on bridges).

The Port dial layout has some similarities (two subdials for power reserve and seconds) but otherwise is a very different watch. Pellaton movement is a great automatic movement, case shape and size are a bit different - less height/diameter ratio than the DD which is indeed a bit chunky. Prices are completely different (Port more expensive), so are distribution channels, ordering process, customer relationship, production output, etc....

The Centersecond looks pretty good + they have a good name which is important cause it's written on the damn watch. This is why I don't think I could wear a Patek Philippe...

What is "DD"? What about "Port"? I have no idea what a 5001 is BTW...

12. gdl203

DD = Dirk Dornblüth
    Port = Portuguese (foo's OneWatch), referencing the 5001 you mentioned - some pictures above in silver dial and rose gold hands/numerals

13. mafoofan

This simply isn't true.

[​IMG]

I should have been more specific: screwed chatons.

14. mafoofan

Oh, come on! You don't care about the hand stitching in your shirts? Speaking for myself: my aesthetic opinions change with my understanding of an object's purpose and history. Watches don't speak to everyone, but to those whom they do, the insides naturally matter a lot.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Oh, come on! You don't care about the hand stitching in your shirts? Speaking for myself: my aesthetic opinions change with my understanding of an object's purpose and history. Watches don't speak to everyone, but to those whom they do, the insides naturally matter a lot.
    I'm not sure these are comparable. I didn't suggest I would wear a pulsar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.