1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

All that matters that you are happy with them. [​IMG]
    Totally green.

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

True, and you have the right to have your own opinion. But choosing to have an opinion which might be considered as insulting might best be kept to yourself.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I don't mind the colored crown tube and it really isn't that noticeable irl, at least on the Midnignt Blue one, especially when worn. My only knock on the Black Bay, if I were to nitpick, is that I wish the case wasn't as thick as it is.

[​IMG]

@Novelty77 OCD tip of the day: If you pick up a BB and intend to wear it mostly on straps, I suggest you consider buying the strap version and buy the ss bracelet as an extra. Reason: because of the tight tolerance between the end links and the case, it might very well be impossible to remove the ss bracelet without leaving a few micro scratches on the top and bottom of the case where it meets the end links. In fact, I suspect the case may even get marked a bit when the bracelet is initially installed at the factory.

There's also the fact that current/modern Rolex and Tudor end links have tiny openings which generally require a Rolex 3200 tool (nearly impossible to purchase, unless you have a privileged relationship with your AD) to safely remove (i.e. w/o scratching the case and/or lugs). Bergeon makes a similar 7825 tool with extra fine fork tips, but it was backordered at OFREI when I checked recently. I ended up buying the REGINE HORLOGERY VOH spring bar plier/tweezer M-XL and while the tips were indeed small enough to fit in the BB end link openings, I just couldn't get it to properly grab the springbars...

Otoh, you can easily push back the leather and remove a strap with any $5 spring bar tool without marking the case (use the big flat tip with a notch in it, not the small forked tip, to simultaneoulsy push back the strap and spring bar!)...

Disclaimer: I realize the leather strap on the BB looks really cheap and plasticky. I'm only recommending the strap version if the buyer intends to wear the BB on straps (other aftermarket leather or NATO straps) as switching out the original leather strap is way easier than removing the ss bracelet if you want to do it yourself.

1 person likes this.
  4. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

@Wes Bourne, thanks for the tip on the Rolex bracelet tool. On the other hand, scrapes come with the territory. I've been changing straps to JLC DSC a lot (using Bergeon 6767-F) and insides of the lugs bear some marks but that's life.

5. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I guess some scratches might be inevitable, but the first few always bring a tear to my eyes.

For strap changes, I've found that you can prevent most scratches inside of lugs by taping the inside of lug tips. Push the strap back as far as you can from the lug with your fingers and slip the large fork end of the tool in to further push the strap back while engaging the springbar flange at the same time.

Fwiw, I use a generic tool similar to the Bergeon 6111 for strap changes:

[​IMG]

The large fork 'is the most useful end for removing spring bars quickly on leather straps and is the end which will remove the bars on Seiko rubber divers bands. The small fork is for grabbing spring bars for the backside of metal bands'.

You have a much greater chance of scratching lugs if you use the fine forked tip to remove straps.

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

To paraphrase Belligero: buy cheap, buy old, and really abuse it!

@Tifosi - I'm spending six hours in Doha airport waiting for my children to join me for our connecting flight. The Rolex shop has all the hits, and I have inevitably been tyre kicking the Sub range: standard vs SD vs DS. So straight up, why the SD?

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

No love for the PAM 243?

You able to check the SD4000 at the Doha airport?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

It's cool and I love the 1950 case. And as I said, I'm revisiting all the Sub variants while I've nothing better to do.

Well, that and eating scrambled eggs and caviar at 3am.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. no frills

no frills Senior member

I love all three of those!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

That is the essence of the problem. Unless you're Mr No Frills Polysubmarinerist.

1 person likes this.
  12. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up bro! With regards to removing the bracelet, that's a real bummer. Its funny that they offer a nato strap for every purchase of the bracelet or strap. it would be cool if
    Tudor provides the tool as part of their packaging like some panerais.

Talking Watches With Jean-Claude Biver

agree? on the design issues about AP x PP x Hublot

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Not much … it's just too busy.. Y'all really that concerned about scratching your lugs? Try not to. :plain:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  14. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Haven't posted in a while. But heres a 5205G

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

^
    I was looking at one the other day. I really like the lines of the case.

16. Tried and True

They're lemmings. ;)

Same difference I suppose.

17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

@mimo - Sounds like an awesome way to kill some time.

For me: Back when I fell in love with the SD it was baddest Rolex you could buy. The depth rating (mostly the engineering behind it), the lack of cyclops with a date and just the sheer bad assery is what had me dreaming about it. Alas, it was not meant to be then. Now that I have literally been through the entire Sub line (alum. and ceramic versions), I appreciate it for different reasons.

The SEL bracelet with the lug holes is sheer perfection. It just looks so damn good and really emphasizes the tool watch persona. I really like the proportions of the case and how it looks and feels more robust on the wrist without being unwearable. It has a totally different wrist presence than the Sub for me. I love the thicker crystal and bezel. Can't wait to get this thing underwater on some dives. Finally going to use the "L" (long) diver's extension link that came with the SD and is still totally untouched in the tool kit. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. Tried and True

Make sure they don't charge you the after sales price for the bracelet, as is their want. Extra straps ordered within the initial sale are usually a lot cheaper as well.

2 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

Funny thing on the Black Bay: they had the burgundy on bracelet and strap, with the latter slightly more expensive - never known that before, but it just sells more that way apparently.

Also, the deployant on the strap is amazing, never noticed before.

1 person likes this.
  20. Novelty77

Novelty77 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Heritage? or gimmicky. Either way, they'll be producing only 1 for auction.Tudor Black Bay One Reference 7923/001
    They really shouldn't have added the red [​IMG] and wow nv really notice the gap b/w the lug and the bracelet... looks fragile.
    I think the old rolex oyster perpetual datejust had the same design as well but they have a cover for the gap yea?

might be the deal breaker for me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.