• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTLION

Reaction score
Purchased a Omega Speedmaster Professional. Beautiful watch but I encountered an issue the first day. On my way home on the flight my watch stopped. I tapped it once and it started again. To test it again I wound the watch fully at midnight and it stopped again at 8:10AM. Since then I wound the watch at 9AM and it has worked fine (7:15PM right now).

Any thoughts?

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purchased a Omega Speedmaster Professional. Beautiful watch but I encountered an issue the first day. On my way home on the flight my watch stopped. I tapped it once and it started again. To test it again I wound the watch fully at midnight and it stopped again at 8:10AM. Since then I wound the watch at 9AM and it has worked fine (7:15PM right now).

Any thoughts?
Take it back

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not uncommon to get a BNIB Speedy Pro at 30 to 35% off MSRP at an AD. So that's $2925 to $3150 for a 3570.50. I would just save a bit more and grab one from an AD rather than buy used to flip it in the future for a new one. I realize at those used prices that's another 33%, but in the long run, it just seems to make more sense. You may be able to find an even better deal with AD's looking to clear out the 3570.50 for the newer models.
Second this. 30% off Omega MSRP from ADs is commonplace.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ChristopherBerr

Reaction score

Not a speedy, but here's my vintage seamaster with a re-lumed dial... Picked up the strap from Aaron Faber in Midtown. Seems to be the only place I could walk into and buy a thinly padded calf strap here in nyc.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Thanks you all the replies... busy part of the forum this one

I like the idea of the bracelet upgrade (although, still like the looks of the older bracelet more).  I'm not into the NATO strap thing so that would be irrelevant to me.  Its not a make or break upgrade (and in the event you are just starting your research the movement is a bit different than what was in the original Moonwatch, which was cal 321).  

For some it will merely be a question of whether the price increase is worth it to them for the upgraded bracelet, box, strap, etc, or if they would rather look for the previous model.  

Thanks Dino... I research any (for me) significant purchases so have a fairly decent knowledge of the history of the speedy pro and associated movements (cal 321 -> cal 861 -> 1861) plus move to coaxial for DSOTM, '57 nod, and others. Also learnt a lot about other watches... of which you have my grail the Royal Oak jumbo.

The 3570.50 was the watch for me (and may still be), as I like the looks of the hesalite and it's the closest modern version to the moonwatch of years ago. The replacement release does throw in a small conundrum as I wouldn't be adverse to buying lightly used meaning the 3750.50 could still be the one. I guess when the time comes I can shop around and look at the new model and make a call on f the bracelet and extras are worth the extra cost to me (and if I prefer the aesthetics of the new bracelet).

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino... I research any (for me) significant purchases so have a fairly decent knowledge of the history of the speedy pro and associated movements (cal 321 -> cal 861 -> 1861) plus move to coaxial for DSOTM, '57 nod, and others. Also learnt a lot about other watches... of which you have my grail the Royal Oak jumbo.

The 3570.50 was the watch for me (and may still be), as I like the looks of the hesalite and it's the closest modern version to the moonwatch of years ago. The replacement release does throw in a small conundrum as I wouldn't be adverse to buying lightly used meaning the 3750.50 could still be the one. I guess when the time comes I can shop around and look at the new model and make a call on f the bracelet and extras are worth the extra cost to me (and if I prefer the aesthetics of the new bracelet).
You are very welcome and thank you for the kind words about the RO Jumbo. Wishing you lots of luck with your decision. Cheers!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahem.

ajubepe7.jpg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think there is more lather about this than necessary.

They have a movement they supposedly co-developed with another company, of which some of the parts are made in the UK.
They claimed it was an in house movement, but neglected to mention it was co-developed.
Some of the proprietary blueprints were possibly released, when they shouldn't be.

I don't get the hype.
So many of the people on the thread seem to be trying to catch someone in a lie.

Bremont's decisions regarding design are not really under scrutiny. Some people are saying "what's the big deal? It was a smart move to work with LJP." That's fine. It just misses the point entirely. What is being justifiably criticized is that they say verbatim that the movement was "designed and developed in Britain." That's straight from their webpage. The stance now has been amended to include "both in the UK and with our long term movement partner, Le Joux Perret, in Switzerland." Both of those are direct quotes from them and the second flies in the face of the first. For someone to argue that they have been up-front with that fact would be insanity.

There is a lot of gray area when it comes to what manufacturing burden qualifies as an in-house movement. However, it is an altogether much clearer distinction between absolute truth or lie when you tell someone you wrote a novel, and later it comes out that a friend of yours also published that same novel with different character names and a a couple of different minor plot points.

To top it all off, when someone says "Hey I already read that novel, I have valid concerns about the origins of the concept and design" you release a statement accusing people of trying to sabotage your work and threatening legal action. You also then admit you did work with someone else, but go on about how this book was a huge leap in progression towards writing a complete novel by yourself. That is admittedly a rough analogy. The point is the concept of creative process and design. The "big deal" is claiming a creative process as entirely yours and then marketing it as such when it is clearly not. And it is clearly not. They already said so themselves. People saying they technically may not be incorrect are the same sort of intellectuals debating what Bill Clinton considered as "sexual relations" with that woman.

No matter what is said next week in their official statement, it does not change the facts about what already occurred, which are:
1) Bremont releases the watch to press saying it is an in-house movement "designed and developed in Britain."
2) The movement is discovered to closely resemble an existing LJP movement.
3) Bremont responds with a defensive statement that it was also in partnership with LJP and part of the design was done in Switzerland. They also mention legal action.

These are compounding mistakes, in my opinion. In a watch society that prizes design history and technical prowess so dearly, it also seems more emotive of betrayal of trust than likely it would be in other industries. We celebrate brands like Nomos, etc. when they make they make the huge leap forward to make in-house movements. It cheapens their (and really any in-house brand) accomplishments to just stand by and be mute to someone who claims to have done the same and has not.

What Bremont will likely do next week is what Tag Heuer did when it was discovered that they had not designed the 1887 "100% in-house," and claim evolution of pre-existing platform. That is not the same thing.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going on the record as saying, I don't care. Wright Brothers or not, that watch doesn't excite me enough for the 16,000 GBP. I just checked out their website and none of their stuff really excites me.

d4nimal - The sexual relations comment elicited a smile from me.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
This "in house" business is interesting. I agree it's dishonest, but I feel every so slightly for Bremont as they seem to have been caught out so comprehensively while others seem to be accepted as "in house" when they're little more than iterative changes to old designs. Even Nomos's movements are based on a pre-existing design, aren't they? Still, they are adding new elements of their own more and more, so fair play.

@Belligero has made dark references to this sort of thing before - dishonest descriptions of supply chains, movement origins, etc. I'd like to hear more.

In the mean time, talking of things that cost a controversial amount of money, I was hosted this evening by some friends, and my often impressively wrist-attired "uncle", was wearing this:

I will not forget that I thought this was silly when I saw the pics two years ago: baby blue dial, brown bezel...solid platinum sports watch? Haha, I thought. And then I kept dreaming about it (literally) like the Eye of Sauron. And now I've met it in person, yes, it wins. Especially on my wrist as pictured! Although I'd still take a Datograph for the money, Dino-approved or not. Now there is an in house movement...

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm totally ignorant of something, but design aspects notwithstanding, how much more difficult can it be to manufacture movements if you're going to make such elaborate casework and modifications to stock movements? Especially now, with distributed fabrication technologies?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
P.S. In-house movement designed and manufactured by us.*

*(We chose blue for the screws, and put some cloth and our name on the rotor. ******* WHAT?)

Read my lips: I did not ******** with that woman.**

**(She just sucked ******* a little bit, but that was purely therapeutic.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads