• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My post about Bremont. Read the Hodinkee comments, it is pretty odd. Confusion about whether they created a movement in-house. Bremont said they created an in-house movement, completely in-house. Then people said it was a La Joux Perret. Then Bremont said that those people were corporate saboteurs. Then Bremont fessed up and said that it has some British made parts, and is primarily made in Switzerland. Lots of information, misinformation, and the like. Going to wait until I hear something definitive before I bad mouth them (even though the in-house claim is not true--they modified a movement).

Regardless, the watch they are shilling is 19,000 pounds, in Stainless Steel.

Word on the street now (from fairly reliable sources) is that the wing fabric is from after the Flyer was wrecked and the Wright brothers attempted to fix it. So the stuff in the watches actually never flew. Ahahah.

Don't know if that matters at all to anybody or any collector at this point but ya know, if I'm going to be shelling out GBP19,000 I want to know EXACTLY what I'm getting.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heeeeey - just noticed that my fave dealer Tarrytown Jewelers is advertising on SF. Nayz. Love these guys. Shout out! Word.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
For the price of engagement rings, you would thing they would start putting those in larger boxes. As for watches, I think the boxes are getting too big and the add ons aren't what attract people to the watches. If I want extra straps or to be ale to change my own, I would buy that stuff myself. Plus, when did slapping a company brand on anything make it cheaper?

Price increases just seem to be part of the game, some are more easily justified than others of course. We all rationalize them if we want/like a particular watch, but you see other companies make improvements without increasing their pricing (NOMOS will incorporate their swing system in to their line up without a price increase I believe). Would I trade in my Speedy and fork over the extra $$$ for the new version, no, but if I didn't own a Speedy yet I'd still go ahead with the purchase at the new price (well I'd probably go find an BNIB 3570.50, but you get my point).

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree to a point. It's nice Omega at least gives you the upgraded bracelet. More than I can say for the price hikes of certain Richemont brands often with no discernible improvements at all..

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't step in these parts very often due to my seiko collection status. I am however saving for a speedy professional moon watch and came across this article. Thoughts on the "upgrade"...

Omega makes minor changes to the Moonwatch

http://acwatchblog.com/2014/07/23/omega-makes-minor-changes-to-the-moonwatch/

The bracelet upgrade is great, but all that other stuff (seriously - NICER box?) doesn't interest me at all. I hope this doesn't 'outprice' a lot of would be Speedy fans.

This. Now I need to hurry up and buy the actual one, which is already much more expensive in here.

I don't care what manufacturer it is...if them packaging my watch in a ziplock bag would save me a grand I wouldn't mind. Who cares about a friggin box?

This. My sister gave me as a gift a 'watch box' (?) it's cool, I can put in there 10 watches and pretty rigid and for less than $1,000 usd. :confused:

I agree the bracelet upgraded is nice but $1,000 is a huge price increase as a percentage. This new prices loses a lot of value ratio for me

I've seen that many of you say that watches should not be bought as an investment and I agree because in the short term they will not hold their value and personally I will not sell a watch to get more money but what about in the long term? Let's say 30-40 years?

You must know I would love to have a nice watch collection, including different brands to pass them to my kids (in the near future). Not sell them. But just out of curiosity.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I agree to a point. It's nice Omega at least gives you the upgraded bracelet. More than I can say for the price hikes of certain Richemont brands often with no discernible improvements at all..

I'm genuinely curious at how long it's been since the Speedy has changed price, mostly so I can set my level of irritation to the proper amount. I don't like the price hike, I don't think there is enough to justify the $1,000, but it also wouldn't stop me from purchasing the Speedy if I didn't own it yet. Maybe I've mellowed out with age, or I've seen too many arguments over price increases to get that charged up over it anymore.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i always keep the watch box and all other goodies. for a few reasons.

1. i am a brand whore.

2. part of what goes into the price we pay is the branding, packaging and extras, so i want to keep that. its part of the purchase.

3. i keep the watch in there when i am not wearing it.

4. should i sell the watch, having the box, papers and goodies not only increase the value, they make it much easier to sell the watch. there is just a bigger market for watches with all the original packaging.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ I agree with all that. I keep everything too, I just don't care what it looks like or what it is constructed of.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitch-meister - I too keep all my old boxes and agree it definitely helps with reselling having all the original books, papers, boxes etc. I guess my point is if I wanted to buy a watch, in this case the Speedmaster, and I could have the exact same watch with OEM boxes, I'd rather buy the Speedy that came with the cheaper box and without the additional accessories, more expensive packaging.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am however saving for a speedy professional moon watch and came across this article. Thoughts on the "upgrade"...

Omega makes minor changes to the Moonwatch

http://acwatchblog.com/2014/07/23/omega-makes-minor-changes-to-the-moonwatch/
I like the idea of the bracelet upgrade (although, still like the looks of the older bracelet more). I'm not into the NATO strap thing so that would be irrelevant to me. Its not a make or break upgrade (and in the event you are just starting your research the movement is a bit different than what was in the original Moonwatch, which was cal 321).

For some it will merely be a question of whether the price increase is worth it to them for the upgraded bracelet, box, strap, etc, or if they would rather look for the previous model.

I don't care what manufacturer it is...if them packaging my watch in a ziplock bag would save me a grand I wouldn't mind. Who cares about a friggin box?
Sorry Tif, people like my Dad are huge into the what the design or looks are of watch boxes (and it probably forces companies to spend more and charge more for packaging). Perhaps its more of an issue at a certain price point, and feeling that the box should be fitting for a high end watch. If one is spending Lange or Patek money on a watch it may seem a bit odd or anti climactic if they give you a box made of particle board, and tell you look up the owners manual info on line.

I think on a more modestly priced watch, maybe I'd opt to save the money and not have a very fancy watch box.

I tend to disagree, with a caveat.
If one is holding on to a higher end watch for many years, and would like it to keep provenance, then a box is a crucial part of that.
If you are getting a Hamilton or something with less intrinsic value, I agree with you Tif.
fistbump.gif
Agreed.

I've seen that many of you say that watches should not be bought as an investment and I agree because in the short term they will not hold their value and personally I will not sell a watch to get more money but what about in the long term? Let's say 30-40 years?
As for investment, its really a tough proposition in that there are several variables. The watch itself, the brand, the model, and trends 30-40 years from now. A 1970 GMT Master was about $250 brand new. Depending on condition, box & papers, etc, that watch could easily sell for $6,000 +/- (just using as a ball park figure). An Omega Seamaster of the same vintage might have sold for about the same, but most will be worth less. Or a vintage 33mm time only AP, VC, or PP would have sold for a heck of a lot more than the GMT, but because of its size might be a tough sell today and be worth less to collectors than that GMT. By the same token, if you bought a Rolex Explorer II 1655, it was about the same price as a GMT when new, dealers couldn't give them away, and they were relatively worthless until about 10 years ago. Now they regularly go for $15,000-20,0000. All of the original buyers may have been thrilled when they got their watches, and the value to them in 30-40 years might be icing on the cake, but none could have predicted where things would go in terms of value or the public's interest (in the 1980s ultra slim was the in thing, now we see gigantic watches from almost all makers).

If you buy a good watch and hang onto it for a long time hopefully, it will retain its value. However, when you say investment...you have to ask is making a few hundred dollars possibly an investment over 30-40 years? Or does it need to double your money and make a significant increase for it to be worth while as an investment. Could your money make more money in other investments? Also, today most watch companies produce a greater volume of watches than they did even 10 years ago, so current watches aren't generally as rare as pieces from the past. You also have to consider the cost of servicing them occasionally, and if you have a good size collection the cost of insurance.

In the end, buy a watch you really like. If it goes up in value, that's a bonus, but if it doesn't then you wont' be disappointed.

i always keep the watch box and all other goodies. for a few reasons.

1. i am a brand whore.

2. part of what goes into the price we pay is the branding, packaging and extras, so i want to keep that. its part of the purchase.

3. i keep the watch in there when i am not wearing it.

4. should i sell the watch, having the box, papers and goodies not only increase the value, they make it much easier to sell the watch. there is just a bigger market for watches with all the original packaging.
Spot on mah man!!!!
fistbump.gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:cheers:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As for investment, its really a tough proposition in that there are several variables. The watch itself, the brand, the model, and trends 30-40 years from now. A 1970 GMT Master was about $250 brand new. Depending on condition, box & papers, etc, that watch could easily sell for $6,000 +/- (just using as a ball park figure). An Omega Seamaster of the same vintage might have sold for about the same, but most will be worth less. Or a vintage 33mm time only AP, VC, or PP would have sold for a heck of a lot more than the GMT, but because of its size might be a tough sell today and be worth less to collectors than that GMT. By the same token, if you bought a Rolex Explorer II 1655, it was about the same price as a GMT when new, dealers couldn't give them away, and they were relatively worthless until about 10 years ago. Now they regularly go for $15,000-20,0000. All of the original buyers may have been thrilled when they got their watches, and the value to them in 30-40 years might be icing on the cake, but none could have predicted where things would go in terms of value or the public's interest (in the 1980s ultra slim was the in thing, now we see gigantic watches from almost all makers).

If you buy a good watch and hang onto it for a long time hopefully, it will retain its value. However, when you say investment...you have to ask is making a few hundred dollars possibly an investment over 30-40 years? Or does it need to double your money and make a significant increase for it to be worth while as an investment. Could your money make more money in other investments? Also, today most watch companies produce a great volume of watches than they did even 10 years ago, so current watches aren't generally as rare was pieces from the past. You also have to consider the cost of servicing them occasionally, and if you have a good size collection the cost of insurance.

In the end, buy a watch you really like. If it goes up in value, that's a bonus, but if it doesn't then you wont' be disappointed.

Thanks Dino for your answer! Then investment is definitely not the word to use. I asked cause I was wondering if it really it's worth buying for example two Longines' and two Hamilton's for the moment and then start adding the Omega's and the IWC's and a Panerai - although I have a chance to get a used Panerai for $1,526 usd in an auction - or skip the other 4 watches and go directly with the Omega Speedmaster.

Pros and cons, I think the Speedmaster should be the first option because of that 'new' version and the price increase.
mad.gif

I like all of them.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I would skip if the Longines and Hamiltons will lose significant wrist time as you add other watches you want more. If they will always see wrist time, then get em.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Bremont story and subsequent comment thread is a little cringeworthy.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino for your answer! Then investment is definitely not the word to use. I asked cause I was wondering if it really it's worth buying for example two Longines' and two Hamilton's for the moment and then start adding the Omega's and the IWC's and a Panerai - although I have a chance to get a used Panerai for $1,526 usd in an auction - or skip the other 4 watches and go directly with the Omega Speedmaster.

Pros and cons, I think the Speedmaster should be the first option because of that 'new' version and the price increase.
mad.gif

I like all of them.
You are welcome. Its important to follow your heart and buy what makes you smile. However, if your idea to buy the Longines and Hamiltons are because you thought there is greater investment potential in acquiring a volume of watches, then that would be IMHO a mistake. Buy them only if you really like them, and they are not merely flavor of the day substitutes for what you really want. They are quality watches, but I just don't see them being watches that will retain or gain in value.

There were times I had only 1 nice watch, but I was always happy to enjoy that watch and admirer other pieces from afar. Eventually, I had 2. Then over the course of several years I was lucky enough to add other pieces that I liked. I am of the mentality that I would rather have 1 or maybe 2 really good watches that I truly want, rather than have 4 or 6 watches, with several just being the flavor of the day but affordable. I'd suggest if that if your heart is with a Speedy or an IWC or Panerai, that you save up until you can acquire one of these watches that you truly want. Getting the Hamiltons or Longines will just deplete your watch fund and further delay your acquiring a Speedy, IWC, or Panerai. Just my 2 cents.

Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads