• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Note to self: need a brown grenadine :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

stichy: great pix, especially the macro-looking ones.
I know how much you like that T-o-G.
You are excused.

thanks, keith. they are all taken with the macro, i just paned out for the non uber close ups.

i do love it!

Note to self: need a brown grenadine :)

actually id say you need two. chocolate brown and a lighter brighter shade. :)

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ The numbers on the bezel... Not sure if it rotates or not, though.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the uninitiated please, what feature makes this a 'Turn-o-Graph' rather than just a regular datejust?

The bezel with numbers rotates. Years ago the Turn-O-Graph was also known as the Thunderbird, and was affiliated with the US Air Force.
^^ The numbers on the bezel... Not sure if it rotates or not, though.
Yes, the bezel rotates.

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The result just looks cheap and nasty:

hat tip to patekwatch.blogspot.com for the base image

In keeping with the theme of typographical incompetence, Calibri, or some closely-related version of it, was used for the letters. The “R” is unmistakably of the default-Microsoft ilk. The only one that isn't a match is the vertically-stretched “J” with an extra stroke on the top — likely added to make it superficially resemble the good dials.

If anyone can be bothered to identify it differently, I’d be grateful. My guess is that they just used plain ol' Calibri, applied the same clumsy distortions they inflicted on the numbers, and wrapped up by tacking that little tail on the “J”.

The text sort of looks like a slightly rounded version of PF Bulletin Sans.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
thanks, keith. they are all taken with the macro, i just paned out for the non uber close ups.

i do love it!
actually id say you need two. chocolate brown and a lighter brighter shade.
smile.gif
^^ Rust. The perfect complement to a blue jacket. Which is the most useful jacket. Stitchy your ToG pics are awesome - love that blue "Sun-Ray" dial.

@Keith T @billsmith I would have said Nomos Orion as first thought too, without reading the brief (auto) properly. But I think this is a good shout on the Tag: when I think of Nomos, I'm projecting a bit of my TWAT-reading, over 40, suit-wearing, oddly German-fixated taste on the matter, as we all do in our own way. But this is for a young dude, who may or may not give a **** that Nomos has a distinctive Bauhaus-inspired design ethic and technically in house (though derivative) movements. I suspect...not. But as a young dude, he is more likely to know that Tag Heuer is a "thing", he will probably like the sportier look which, while suit-worthy, is versatile for casual use, and I suspect he might also prefer a bracelet - not an option for Nomos. I say this on the spurious basis that my kids think straps look "old". So, I think you might be onto something.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've always liked the blue and red mix, great looking watch.

thanks, buddy!

Stitchy your ToG pics are awesome - love that blue "Sun-Ray" dial.

thanks, mimo. the sun ray gets me every time.

---

indeed the bezel turns. notice that bkotsko has the triangle by the 12 and mine is by the 9. i used to keep it at the 12 cuz im ocd like that, but ive decided to go nuts and move it to the 9 as its default position.

CRAZY RITE?!

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, buddy!

---

indeed the bezel turns. notice that bkotsko has the triangle by the 12 and mine is by the 9. i used to keep it at the 12 cuz im ocd like that, but ive decided to go nuts and move it to the 9 as its default position.

CRAZY RITE?!
I wouldn't want to run into you in a dark alley...
Way to crazy for me!

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The text sort of looks like a slightly rounded version of PF Bulletin Sans.

Thanks! That looks like a closer match — the "M" in particular. The 5140 dial lacks the indent at the base of the tail on the "R", but that, along with the rounded corners, could simply be due to what appears to be sloppy printing.

The more I look at that dial, the worse it gets. The spacing, alignment and angles are a total mess. It's painfully obvious on the numbers, but the letters are mangled, too; check out "NOV", "MAR" and "WED" especially. You can really see how extreme the vertical distortion is on the date subdial when you compare its "3" the nearby leap year indicator "3". This shouldn't be obscure knowledge to whoever did it; avoiding that is one of the first things you learn in even the most basic material on the subject.

The irony here is that the earlier dial could serve as a textbook example of the craft applied with great sensitivity and skill, whereas the new one shows, for so many reasons, what not to do.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else getting the vibe that Belli wants a 5140 really badly?

:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads