1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

I had the Black Bay for a short amount time. I really like the look of the watch. However, it wears too big on my small wrist. If it were scaled down a bit, maybe to 39x46x11mm, it would be a hit! I guess it's sized the way it is to differentiate and to not compete with the Sub.

2. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Has anyone seen a Submariner dial with marks like those at the 1, 2, and 4 o'clock positions? This is a 1680 offered by a reputable seller. I love the creamy lume but have never seen distortion on the markers like that before.

[​IMG]

3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Isn't that just caused by the curve of the crystal and the angle of the photo, rather than by the shape of the hour markers themselves?

P.S. How's the polo shirt project coming along? I'm interested in purchasing some when it's up and running as good, long-sleeved polo shirts with button cuffs and shirt collars are hard to find.

4. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

Not sure I buy optical distortion on that 1680. I have no alternative suggestion for what it might be, but it seems to me to require and explanation. What does the dealer say?

On the subject of winders, I keep three of my automatics on a winder. One is a Longines triple date moonphase, an absolute pain to reset if it stops. The other two I just like to keep wound. I just accept that my Speedy is gonna stop because I can never remember to wind it every day, and currently my Pepsi gets so much wrist time that it doesn't need any help to stay wound. Everything else is in a watch box and gets wound on demand.

1 person likes this.
  5. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Plexi crystals will do that. I've seen some dodgy dials, but even the most inept attempts manage to get the minute track reasonably straight. Besides, unless that's the only photo of the dial, this mystery shouldn't be too difficult to solve.

I'd be more interested in the colour of the hands and hour markers. Is that "reputable seller" based in Hong Kong, by chance? And are terms such as "the case is simply strong" or "1OO% original & authentic" used to describe the watch?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  6. mimo

mimo Senior member

I feel an F-word coming...[​IMG]

And if that is the case, I'm fascinated to know the hows and whys. Knowledge is power.

7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Following this conversation with interest [​IMG]

8. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

+1 - please enlighten us! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Not a fake as such. Just a prolific seller who's known for having magically matching colours on the tritium bits and an endless supply of "unpolished" cases. Dye and laser welding seem much more plausible to many. It seems that he was barred from selling on the vintage Rolex forum for not following their policy on descriptions, but is still active on others.
    Oh, and his prices seem about 30% higher than average. Regardless of what is or isn't being disclosed about the watches' originality, I personally would steer well clear due to the pricing alone.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The plexi crystal as Belligero mentioned can do that. Still I'd be a bit more concerned with what is going on with the black part of the dial and what is going on between the 9 and 10 o'clock marker. There are lots of 1680s out there, so never buy one that you have concerns about in terms of condition, or having been "touched up." I'd keep searching if I were in your shoes.

Agreed, not a fake. However as you pointed out there are some unscrupulous sellers out there who will "Touch up" a watch's condition, be it the dial, the hands, or the case to make a watch seem better than it truly is. If buying vintage, one definitely needs to do his homework and research the sellers almost as much as the watches themselves. Failure to do so could result in someone paying a lot more than they should have for a watch of questionable condition/originality.

11. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

That Black Bay, ETA or not, is very interesting and might be something I'd consider. The new one will probably have too much text on the dial.

Which brings us nicely to my latest purchase. Was debating if this belongs to the cheap watch thread, but the ETA angle just invited this here.

NOS Eterna Anatomic, with "in-house ETA", ca. 1972-3. Name stems from design which was to hug your wrist more than a normal one, also gives it a more size so looks quite modernly sized.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet again was looking something a bit different. Omega was again dropped off early, comment I heard was that they are "already fully valued" sums the market really well up. This also has created the effect that you really can't be sure of the sellers and authenticity. NOS doesn't even guaranee authenticity, case Omega bracelets: you can buy new ones from Omega for old watches but they are much lower quality and flimsier than original 70's pieces. If I come across a good and clean Omega DeVille Dynamic with indexed dial from early 1970s, I'll surely get one but at the moment I can't find anything on the market where either the watch or the seller can be 100% verified.

So, same idea as the previous one, look for the similar middle-to-high-end manuacturers. In the European market, Zenith and Eterna were competing with Omega and Heuer head-to-head, usually also very close to Rolex. Eterna's history is also tied together with ETA, this article is pretty much spot on:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/a-brief-history-of-eta/

ETA SA in it's official history wants to emphasize they started in the 1780's and it's correct in a sense that some of the companies consolidated to ETA have long histories. Eterna however started in 1856 and split itself to ETA (ebauches) and Eterna (watches and design) in 1932 to co-operate with the Swiss watch industry consolidation. Eterna continued to design movements, some were given to ETA for larger manufacturing and sales, some were kept as Eterna in-house.

So, this particular watch houses a Eterna 12824, which is a ETA 2824, very first generation. Eterna started to move into standard ETA movemens in the 70's and I'd have to dig more about the history here if 2824 is fully Eterna designed or a co-op with others. Therefore, "in-house ETA". Eterna, like other big names, suffered in the quartz crisis and really haven't recovered like Zenith, or Omega who rode through it relatively well.

This watch was sold as NOS and frankly, it was more NOS than I thought, stickers and everything. I however bought this to use and it is not a Patek, so off went the crystal sticker. Sue me. Also, changed the original strap to RIOS as original is a bit worse for wear from storage and also the whole thing reeks of decades of smoking in the watch store. Nice bit of history, I guess.

1 person likes this.
  12. mimo

mimo Senior member

I think GUB used the same case for a watch I bought my girlfriend a few weeks back. I don't have a pic on my phone but there are some in the thread.

13. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

And a few others, at least the shape. I mentioned the Omega Dynamic series, but multiple brands did these. Très retro.

14. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

BTW, congrats on 3000+ pages (and counting), TWAT contributors!

:fistbump:

2 people like this.
  15. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Here's the 1680 in question: http://www.ermitagejewelers.com/WatchView.aspx?category=40&ProductID=4489

The weird hour markers are on the dial itself and are not caused by the domed crystal. It's a pretty specimen but the bezel is the other thing that seems off to me. The divots in the bezel aren't the deep rounds ones typically found on 1680s. I don't believe it's original which is probably why this watch is priced the way it is.

16. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Ah, thought it might have been from the controversial Hong Kong seller due to the lume colour. Hard to make an assessment on a phone screen while travelling through Amsterdam airport about the other details. Agreed that the bezel obviously doesn't look right, though.

Haste makes waste when it comes to watch buying, especially vintage.

17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Here it is, with my Spezimatic Weltzeit.

[​IMG]

You're right, it's a very chunky case, about 40mm and deep. But with no lugs anyone can wear it - and she does!

Both early seventies, I'm told.

1 person likes this.
  18. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I'd pass. Who's the 'reputable' seller?

19. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

If you never use the chrono, then why worry? Just flash that Daytona. :)

I've found that the SS white dial is the most legible amongst the Rolex models, but truly, for some reason, Rolex makes the totalizer hands almost unreadable across the model lines, imo.
    I had a WG model and sold it because not only could I not easily read the small hands, I couldn't tell what time it was in most light conditons.

When I wanted a chrono with hands that I could actually see, I bought an Omega Seamaster with red hands.

20. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Haha, yeah I totally agree. The legibility issue wouldn't have discouraged me enough from buying it - I'm not checking the time all that much. I just found a AP Royal Oak chrono that was an irresistible price, so I went with that instead. It's actually kind of hard to see the main hands on that with all textured face and subdials, but who cares. I love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.