• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It is a dated design, but not necessarily out-of-date. I like the 70s cases a lot, having three Autavias and the Mark II in my collection. The thing about the (original) Mark II, is that it never quite caught on. Not in 1969 and not as a collectors item later. It has always been about the moon watch. So very nice Mk IIs are available for cheap, at least considering what a nice chrono it is, in a fun and funky package.

Here is an old pic of mine, I dug it out tonight and will be wearing it tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me, Omega :slayer: I have the correct bracelet, but I much prefer it on mesh. Omega makes the best mesh!

This is a great watch. I have the Speedmaster 125, which is different, but a similar aesthetic.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a dated design, but not necessarily out-of-date. I like the 70s cases a lot, having three Autavias and the Mark II in my collection. The thing about the (original) Mark II, is that it never quite caught on. Not in 1969 and not as a collectors item later. It has always been about the moon watch. So very nice Mk IIs are available for cheap, at least considering what a nice chrono it is, in a fun and funky package.

Here is an old pic of mine, I dug it out tonight and will be wearing it tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me, Omega :slayer: I have the correct bracelet, but I much prefer it on mesh. Omega makes the best mesh!

very nice.. I like that case, pretty cool.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A while back I tried on a Radiomir, I think it was the 323, that was on the most amazing sueded croc strap.  I think they call it the "Jules Verne" strap for some reason.  Now that's OEM of course, but as a concept...well...I've never seen such a pimp-tastic and luxurious watch strap.  GO do one too, that I saw on a grey-dial Pano Reserve.

Review of the Jules Verne strap here, by a (former) SF member.

While it is rather spectacular, a personal note on tan straps: I got a nice and rather substantial 5mm thick Bruno calf strap for my Luminor in about the same tan colour as the Jules Verne, and only after wearing it did I find the colour too light, so I ended up giving it to a friend. Of course, YMMV and all that.

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the quick responses - very much appreciated! This is why I think this thread is pretty much a hidden gem; you can get pretty unbiased views here (unlike certain watch fora, where there are many people with 'vested interests'). After reading the responses, it quickly hit me: this watch is not for me (took me months to think that I liked it, but only a few SF responses to undo that).

Just to be clear: I was only looking at this watch in the vintage market because I don't like the current version so much. And it's not $ that made me consider this Speedy; in fact, historical reasons aside, I never understood why a manual speedy with less functionality costs more than an auto day-date speedy.

JBWarwick: it was not really about cost and I certainly don't find this a 'lesser' model. But you really nailed it with the functionality comment - many thanks! I realized that, while I like the look of a chrono, I will never use it (have plenty of analog sports watches that can probably do a much better job) and so really don't need it. So back to square 1; the search continues (which is really most of the fun anyways).

Newcomer: good point about the sports watch functionality; had not considered that either.

Mimo: many thanks for backing me here, but I think you are correct. It's about love, and I am afraid I may not have enough of it for this version.

Dino: as always, many thanks for your views - I was expecting you to find this too cluttered, which is actually very helpful to hear.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can a modern high end watch with basic water resistance handle a steam room? Let's say your average Rolex from the 80s well maintained. Or a new one for that matter. Or a Speedmaster. I don't mean in an emergency? I mean worn regularly in a steam room and shower. Is it no-brainer safe or is it the kind of thing that would be stupid to do regularly?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would not do it on the reg unless i had the watch recently serviced and knew the gaskets were all ok.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Review of the Jules Verne strap here, by a (former) SF member.

While it is rather spectacular, a personal note on tan straps: I got a nice and rather substantial 5mm thick Bruno calf strap for my Luminor in about the same tan colour as the Jules Verne, and only after wearing it did I find the colour too light, so I ended up giving it to a friend. Of course, YMMV and all that.

Good stuff - why doesn't he mention the price? I would be interested to know. I didn't know it was available in another colour too: the greyish-black is like the one I saw on the GO Pano Reserve, although that might have been even nicer.

Panerai Radiomir 323:

GO Pano Reserve:

Last edited:

kungapa

Reaction score
Long time no see, you twats

Just got an email from Fellows - so decided to check out the auction. For us non-mega-ballers, there's some great stuff, especially saw a JLC Lyre Perpetual Calendar in YG going for not too much.

Check it out:

http://www.fellows.co.uk/1389-lot-7...aperfilter=0&threesixty=0&vhigh=20000&vlow=40

33mm though - so not for the people needing big bulky watches to compensate. I would kop, but other bigger non-watch related acquisitions in the near future demanding funds.

Also a JLC mystery - interesting design:

http://www.fellows.co.uk/1389-lot-8...aperfilter=0&threesixty=0&vhigh=20000&vlow=40

And a memovox going for not too much:

http://www.fellows.co.uk/1389-lot-8...aperfilter=0&threesixty=0&vhigh=20000&vlow=40

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
This is especially for @Betelgeuse and his Spitfire fascination: freebie cufflinks from Andrew Lock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads